Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Aquaplaning

Views : 3049

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 16:34   #41
MaDProFF
Master Member

It would help though if you actually posted information that was current, and not 10 years old, Winter tyres in the last 10 years have come on leaps and bounds.

I have been using Nokian Tyres for a while now, and silica based winter tyres generally.

"Nokian Twin Trac Silica rubber compound ensures exemplary grip

The tread compound of the new product uniquely combines the Nokian Hakkapeliitta rubber compound designed for the demanding and cold Northern winter and a silica-based compound that provides excellent performance in milder weather. The end result is the Nokian Twin Trac Silica rubber compound, which contains natural rubber, silica and canola oil; its unique particle distribution ensures peak performance for snow and wet grip.

This state-of-the-art compound innovation also improves driving stability and wear resistance. The large amounts of natural rubber and canola oil in the entirely new rubber compound ensure that the excellent winter grip properties remain the same even as temperatures change and the kilometres add up. The canola oil added to the compound allows the silica and natural rubber to work together, improving the ice grip and tear strength of the tread compound. Tear strength makes the tyre extremely resistant to wear, impacts and punctures.

Together with the siping innovations, the winter-tuned rubber compound ensures that the Nokian WR D4 has sufficient grip reserve even under the most demanding winter conditions, that is, when driving on wet ice. Tests indicate that the lateral and longitudinal ice grip of the Nokian WR D4 is supreme.

Due to the lightly rolling tread pattern and the higher amount of silica in the compound, the Nokian WR D4 has extremely low rolling resistance, allowing it to achieve lower fuel consumption and emissions than its more traditional competitors."

No point carrying on tbh, I am happy with my experience so far all year around, but as I am getting some 19" Volvo Rims and Nokian Tyres I will probably change them back in the summer to the 21"

Last edited by MaDProFF; Oct 18th, 2018 at 16:40.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 17:08   #42
Haldex
Premier Member

lol riight.. 10 yrs ago they used to make tires from cheese..

Here's current info from your preferred tire manufacturer:

https://www.nokiantyres.com/customer...ll-year-round/

"Nokian Tyres product selection has really good all-weather options available that are better options for year round use.Non-studded winter tyres are designed and intended primarily for winter use. The driving characteristics of non-studded winter tyres do not meet the requirements for good summer tyres."

https://www.nokiantires.com/innovati...studded-tires/

"Coarse spring roads can be particularly wearing on all tires and non-studded winter tires are primarily designed and intended for winter use. Non-studded winter tires that have been unevenly worn by coarse spring roads are no match for good summer tires. Therefore we do not recommend the use of non-studded winter tires as all-season tires. Summer tires are the safest and most economic choice for summer driving."

Etc, etc.. But I agree with you that it's pointless- you're happy with your experience and that's what counts.

Cheers.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 17:45   #43
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Winter tyres tend to have wider grooves, and up to a certain size (225 iirc) directional patterns offer the best water evacuation, you do not -have- to have circumferential grooves for efficient evacuation. Not all winter tyres are directional, and each tread pattern has its own merits. You can have either a summer, winter, all season which are best, worst, average in the same given size and the seasonal designation does not dictate which is best, rather the particular tyre in the particular size on the particular vehicle, in the partucular conditions etc etc...
Some winter tyres do in deed shift water better than a lot of summer tyres, but some summer tyres may beat others.
You cannot quote individual parts of a highly complex system to blanket all systems as being the same.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 21:39   #44
xc90fubar

I've only ever had one set of wheels on my previous 14 Plate R-design and ran Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice / Winter all year round pretty much from new.

Did 80,000 miles in the 14 plate car before I bought the new shape earlier this year and I think I put maybe 3 sets of winters on, so they were lasting circa 27,000 miles - probably more as the last set were still fine when I sold the car privately. I tow an 8m boat on a substantial twin axle trailer and a twin axle caravan (not at the same time!) Car got used quite hard, often 6 up and fully laden with luggage + towing something on overseas trips. I replaced the tyres each time before they were illegal.

Never once gave me any worries as regards summer grip / braking / excessive wear and not one squeaky bum moment in torrential rain / snow / ice. The only downside was a bit softer ride and not quite as precise a turn in when pressing on in the dry. I like my cars quite 'taut' so the softer ride was a downside for me, the missus felt the opposite.

I will be putting a set on the new car asap and will probably leave them on.

Can't speak highly of them enough!
xc90fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 10:19   #45
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
You can have either a summer, winter, all season which are best, worst, average in the same given size and the seasonal designation does not dictate which is best, rather the particular tyre in the particular size on the particular vehicle, in the partucular conditions etc etc...
Some winter tyres do in deed shift water better than a lot of summer tyres, but some summer tyres may beat others.
True. But when tests are done tires are not compared between eachother but rather against a benchmark.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote