Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 spare wheel problem solved

Views : 20287

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2014, 20:49   #21
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Is it possible for you to post some photo's with the spare, in situ.

Thank you.

tem.
Ho, Yus (aka that stupid Churchill ad.
I'm marshalling my resources and will attemptto submit something when it stops raining (could be a while). However, I'm allergic to all those interweb sites that let you leave your photos then capture your "very being" - if you get my drift. UPDATE - yes I can insert an image, so that's OK.

Watch this space....
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrueBlue For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 21:03   #22
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I today have taken delivery of a smart used V60 (thanks Marshalls !) and the solution suggested via several folks was to buy:-

313 73 123 Spare wheel and tyre £105
313 16 306 Toolkit (jack / brace / lever and tray) £36
this latter is cheaper than buying the jack separately

Our car has the grocery floor - do you mean that silly panel that lifts up to which you attache your supermarket bags - which then collapses when you go round a corner??

If so then - as far as I can see ('twas tipping it down when I fitted it) there was no problem with the boot floor sticking up _ I will check on the morrow if anyone's interested.
The wheel has no fixing but nestles is the space with very little room to move sideways or fore and aft. If any one's bothered there's a rubber (?drain) plug in the floor at about the right place which could be adapted to make a centre bolt to fix the wheel (as in the days of yore...) - see below
The toolkit is supposed to fit towards the rear, pinning the wheel down. I haven't yet sussed that

Volvo had two solutions - an earlier version was not more than a bag with complicated straps to locate the wheel. I think (hope) it's no longer available.

The current official solution is a mix of plastic holders and what looks like a new floor. Instructions can be downloaded from the accessories site, but at about £425, I don't thin there will be many takers... BTW it includes what looks like a retaining bolt (above) and could probably be ordered.

Our car came with a great tray that sits below the floor where you could store all manner of things. Sadly there's no room for it. You could probably chop the front end off, keeping the back end for some of the goodies.

Too much information??

Anyway for Mike95 - you don't need a hacksaw....
That's great news. Thanks a lot. Not too much info at all.

I plan to get the same kit as you, slip the wheel in and cut the tray to fit. Should all look quite neat.

I'll put the hacksaw back in the tool chest for now!

Cheers.

Mike

Pics will be good to see if it ever does stop raining!
mike95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 14:04   #23
TrueBlue

Your wish is my command - and it's not raining (yet)

V60 grocery holder.JPG

Grocery holder floor - just to prove that I have one

V60 wheel in boot 2.JPG

The wheel in the boot with the tool tray just visible forward of the wheel.
I forgot to take a picture of the empty space, but it doesn't really add anything. The wheel sits firmly in a circular indentation in the floor pan. No room to move the wheel laterally, but it can slide slightly for and aft.

If you want any more pics: send me a PM.

The goodies tray supplied with the car is a magnificent beast, but being modern papier-mâché may well disintegrate if you hack it about - it'll destroy its structural integrity. That said there's a lot of electronics littered about on that space, so some thought needs to be taken about how to protect them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueBlue For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 16:39   #24
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

I stand corrected!.... as mentioned only downside of this version is the potential movement of the wheel... but looks to be a reasonable solution

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 17:08   #25
velocette

Hi Mike95,

My model doesn't have the flap up grocery tray, just the (removable) gadget tray that goes under the boot floor. Hardly worth messing about cutting this up to fit the wheel for the marginal benefit that remains. i just took it out completely. I had a quick look at ebay and see the wheel etc that I bought looks to be priced at £95 now, but still worth it compared to a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal and an unrepairable tyre. Not pretty but good enough for me.
velocette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to velocette For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 17:16   #26
mike95

Quote:
Your wish is my command - and it's not raining (yet)

Attachment 70035

Grocery holder floor - just to prove that I have one

Attachment 70036

The wheel in the boot with the tool tray just visible forward of the wheel.
I forgot to take a picture of the empty space, but it doesn't really add anything. The wheel sits firmly in a circular indentation in the floor pan. No room to move the wheel laterally, but it can slide slightly for and aft.

If you want any more pics: send me a PM.

The goodies tray supplied with the car is a magnificent beast, but being modern papier-mâché may well disintegrate if you hack it about - it'll destroy its structural integrity. That said there's a lot of electronics littered about on that space, so some thought needs to be taken about how to protect them.
Thanks for all your trouble. That is great news for me.
Once I have the wheel in place i may have a go at chopping the tray and maybe strengthening it as not much to loose. I will let you know the result unless you beat me to it.

Love the colour of your car by the way. Flamenco red? I wanted one that colour but with the beige interior but where I bought mine from only had one with the off black. We ended up with silver and beige which also looks great - to me anyway.

Thanks again.

Hope you enjoy the car as we are.

Cheers.

Mike
mike95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 12:00   #27
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
Thanks for all your trouble. That is great news for me.
Once I have the wheel in place i may have a go at chopping the tray and maybe strengthening it as not much to loose. I will let you know the result unless you beat me to it.

Love the colour of your car by the way. Flamenco red? I wanted one that colour but with the beige interior but where I bought mine from only had one with the off black. We ended up with silver and beige which also looks great - to me anyway.

Thanks again.

Hope you enjoy the car as we are.

Cheers.

Mike
Nice to have some feedback, so thanks, Mike.

I also post on the US VolvoXC forum where there (used to be) a lot of interaction. It's quieter now. There's a lot of interaction and I try to put something back where I can. So with a new toy I'm trying to redress the balance.

No I'm not going to chop my tray - you never know we might sell the car on (after yesterday's trial run The Management said she was beginning to really enjoy driving - after xxx years. A good sign as not many ladies get as anoraky about cars,;shoes, mebe...), in which case the tray will go back in.

Yes, the colour is Flamenco - our first love was the older ruby red, but they can't formulate that in water based paints (Our most loved colour was Scarab Green which subtlety moved from green to blue - hence the name). I had a red V70 with beige interior and never really liked it. While "selling" the car to SWMBO, I asked "black or beige?" - came the answer - black. Result!!

It's very much a personal thing and I wouldn't possibly criticise anyone else's choice. Black can be very oppressive, certainly in the garage the inside looks like the pits of hell without the flames (they're on the outside)

It's the nicest Volvo to drive that I've ever seen (even the T5 C30 was not that good), positive steering, good tactile feedback, and firm turbo thrust without any hint of "bothering". Current used offers of fleet cars are very attractive.

FWIW I've found an inexpensive rear mat via fleaBay and if it's good I'll report back on this thread. The manufacturer might be prepared to do a variation on the Volvo folding version if there's interest (There are costs associated with setting up a prototype and the volumes may not justify it). He might make me a separate piece to cover the folded seat backs which would be a good start.

If the muse takes me, I'll post pictures of Volvos initial "wheel in a bag" solution and the £450 later offering - so people can see what they're missing.

Watch this space.

Another Mike
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 12:45   #28
wrinkles
VOC Member

Question

Volvo have lost the plot again with this what was wrong with the old system and a normal spare wheel?
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 13:13   #29
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
Volvo have lost the plot again with this what was wrong with the old system and a normal spare wheel?
Duh! - as My Management says "Because"
  1. There's no room in a modern bodyshell to put a full size spare
  2. Full sized spares disappeared in Volvos some ten years ago (?)
  3. A compact spare is quite adequate to get you home and for a few days thereafter. (done it).
  4. At least there's room in the V60 to put a space saver tyre for a reasonable sum, but you lose the capacious bits & bobs tray.
  5. In some cars there's no room to put any sort of spare wheel. Be grateful.

Pah!
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 14:30   #30
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Duh! - as My Management says "Because"
  1. There's no room in a modern bodyshell to put a full size spare
  2. Full sized spares disappeared in Volvos some ten years ago (?)
  3. A compact spare is quite adequate to get you home and for a few days thereafter. (done it).
  4. At least there's room in the V60 to put a space saver tyre for a reasonable sum, but you lose the capacious bits & bobs tray.
  5. In some cars there's no room to put any sort of spare wheel. Be grateful.

Pah!
I beg to differ.

No room - there is plenty. It is simply a matter of design.
A compact spare is quite adequate - no way. The most it will reasonably do is get you home a short distance at slow speed.