Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone made sound deadening to reduce road noise ?

Views : 9387

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 22:27   #1
turfello

Default Has anyone made sound deadening to reduce road noise ?

I'm thinking of making sound deadening for my Volvo s90 to reduce road noise and vibrations. I have read lots of article say that it help a lot for reduce road noice and vibrations.

Here it is a Turkish video that compare sound level before and after apply sound deadening. It is clearly seeing that there is huge differences between before and after. There is averagely more than 3-4 db sound decreasing.

An example of how it is looking before end all work.

For wheel arches as an example

What do you think about making sound deadening ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 152.jpg (396.5 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg 43599328_712218005805387_1715906947342925824_o.jpg (257.8 KB, 546 views)
turfello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 01:04   #2
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfello View Post
I'm thinking of making sound deadening for my Volvo s90 to reduce road noise and vibrations. I have read lots of article say that it help a lot for reduce road noice and vibrations.

Here it is a Turkish video that compare sound level before and after apply sound deadening. It is clearly seeing that there is huge differences between before and after. There is averagely more than 3-4 db sound decreasing.

An example of how it is looking before end all work.

For wheel arches as an example

i think it's not worth. I think due to the work and possible complications of getting all together just like it was from factory, it doesn't compensate all the hard work of stripping the car like that. I think the Turkish dude is crazy and you're crazy too if you want to do the same. my honest opinion.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 02:46   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Personally if it annoyed that much i’d swap it for a nice quiet Ford Mondeo or similar rather than try such extensive and probably expensive modifications.
The thought of spending £3k on the optional sound system and then probably the same again on insulation in order to be able to hear it properly above the ambient noise is quite ridiculous. I do agree with that these cars transmit too much road noise to the interior though.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 07:13   #4
mdmd

What about laminated glass in the windows? It decreases cabin noise.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 07:33   #5
turfello

Thank you for your comments. Yes, it can be true that i can be an crazy :P
But how do mercedes maybach or rr have very good comfort level on road noise perspective ? Dont they use these metarials or something ? Im ready to apply these metarials to wheel arches at least if it will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
What about laminated glass in the windows? It decreases cabin noise.
Im trying to buy laminated glass but they quoted me 300 euro for each. (I asked saint-gobain-sekurit directly rather then volvo. Maybe volvo can provide it much cheaper idk, i will ask)
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 07:33   #6
Paddybear

Looks like a lot of work and not something I would want to do. And sorry, can't resist saying this but why not just but some disposable ear plugs....99p from screwfix 🤣😂🤣
Paddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paddybear For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 07:35   #7
turfello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddybear View Post
Looks like a lot of work and not something I would want to do. And sorry, can't resist saying this but why not just but some disposable ear plugs....99p from screwfix 🤣😂🤣
I feel like im under pressure. And i love natural ambience 😂😛
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 10:16   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Your car is already well equipped with sound deadening material heavy rubber backed foam 2 inches + thick moulded to the shape of the floor,
wheel arch liners are already felt lined .

There is foam in the back of the wings and many other places , Volvo have done their homework ...

I was walking along a main road yesterday and you could not hear any engine noise at all , just horrendous road noise from just about all the cars .
You need to look at tyres ...
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 10:43   #9
James77

If it bothered me that much I'd just get a new car. Swap brands, ask for 24/48 hour test drives that sort of thing.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 10:44   #10
badonkadonk

Quote:

Sounds like a fun project. It will be money\time thrown away in terms of resale, but I'm sure it will be effective. I think the people that spend serious money on aftermarket car audio systems often do this sort of thing, so you could probably pay to get it done...