Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU 850 No sound - Swopping circuit board with HU 803 circuit

Views : 1551

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2017, 18:36   #1
Chrismmoore

Default HU 850 No sound - Swopping circuit board with HU 803 circuit

My radio has suffered from the no sound except 5 second full volume bursts whether radio switched on or not. I've dismantled the radio to look for dry joints but couldn't find any. But the main circuit board looks burnt/overheated in one area. I purchased a second hand HU 803 unit (£35) that works fine but doesn't secure into the vacant location nor does the aluminium effect trim attach back on.
As the cheapest second hand HU 850 is £150 + p&p and also the HU 803 doesn't drive the remote volume and channel controls (backlights work fine) nor the reversing sensors; I'm wondering can I swap the main circuit board from the HU 803 into the HU 850 and every thing will work??

Last edited by Chrismmoore; Feb 27th, 2017 at 18:39.
Chrismmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 21:40   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think you'll find the HU803 you've bought is pre-facelift (2004/5) whereas your HU850 is post-facelift so they are different shapes and mounting types. As the units are quite different I'd be surprised if the PCB was interchangeable.

If you end up going for an aftermarket stereo, I've got a fascia plate and all the wiring needed to fit a double DIN unit for £40.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:36   #3
oragex
Premier Member

There were two 'shapes' around the radio depending on the years.

How is the amp under the front seat, signs of corrosion? usually it's the amp that gives up.

The 850 wasn't near as good as the 803. Even a 603 is not bad but not great either, but bullet proof and works without the amp
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:15   #4
Chrismmoore

Thanks, aftermarket looks fine but I was curious about how the connection at the back matched up so went for the sh volvo unit, so tell me how do the connection blocks work out are they the same or do you have to convert.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:20   #5
Chrismmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
There were two 'shapes' around the radio depending on the years.

How is the amp under the front seat, signs of corrosion? usually it's the amp that gives up.

The 850 wasn't near as good as the 803. Even a 603 is not bad but not great either, but bullet proof and works without the amp
Yes 803 worked fine straight into existing connector blocks my 850 was post facelift with plastic chassis chase for radio and cd plus alum trim. The 803 is pre facelift but abuts right up into that corner of the console where the alum trim would be. All wired through the amp under the seat (no corrosion)and works ok just no reversing sensors or steering wheel controls now.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:00   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismmoore View Post
Thanks, aftermarket looks fine but I was curious about how the connection at the back matched up so went for the sh volvo unit, so tell me how do the connection blocks work out are they the same or do you have to convert.
The aftermarket stereo comes with a standard ISO connector into which you connect the ISO to Volvo lead which then connects to vehicle's wiring. There is a second lead that converts the aerial plug to conventional type. You will lose the use of the underseat amp (if fitted), steering wheel controls, RTI voice guidance and parking sensor beeps. You can often buy a CANBUS adapter to regain use of steering wheel controls if required.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:

Tags
hu 803, hu 850, no sound, volvo s80, volvo v70