Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PRV V6 760 gle

Views : 1152

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 19:38   #1
DaveBurton

My much loved and cherished 760 has developed a clatter coming from the camshafts area I'm told its the cams anybody out that could give a few tips on changing them, as reading haynes manual its seems a bit daunting.

so far 22 hits and no offers of written comfort.somebody out there must have done one??????????????????
Old Oct 9th, 2002, 19:07   #2
George Holmer

Try Brickboard.com, these engines are much more common in the States.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 18:28   #3
DaveBurton

Thanks George I'll take a look
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 19:18   #4
Dave M

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry, I can't help, despite owning a 760GLE as well... it's of no consolation that mine doesn't "Clatter" despite having 195k miles on the clock:-0.

I've had a look a the "Light toilet reading" and you're right, there isn't alot there to help in the removal of the camshaft just the standard "refitting is the reversal of removal" statement:-)

Wished I could offer something more constructive to help...but I can't.... Sorry :-(

Regards
Dave M

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 18:52   #5
DaveBurton

Started the job yesterday so far so good its all the nuts and bolts thats tiresome getting all the clutter out of the way.Decided to go for removing the timing case instead of using the special tools.(not arrived)willkeep you posted thanks for your interest.
reguards Dave
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 21:05   #6
Dave M

Hi Dave,

Glad to see things are going to plan:-) If I can be of any help I'm only an email/Jpeg away, so if you need to see how things were etc then you know where to find me:-)

Incidentally, whose Cams are you installing? hopefully Febis/OEM's, if that's the case can I ask a cheeky question of how much??
keep me posted on how it goes:-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 17:31   #7
DaveBurton

:7 well its running again now as of 1 hr ago, its a job for the stout hearted, used OEM Cams and rockers £135 a side Gasket set £50+, took aprox 20hrs to strip and assemble (timing gear and timing the distributor) a nightmare but follow the trusty haynes destruction manual a constant supply of tea and bacon butties,an empty swearbox,a pending divorce not too bad. by the way this car is a 1984GLE and has only done 47,000 from(got all the MOTs)new been in the same family uptill june this year the engine oil was like treacle when i bought the car so i changed it and the filter
then the cams started rattling it probably never been serviced since the guarantee ran out,Moral to the story change the oil every 3000 or so.Fuel guage just packed up ah well no rest for the wicked. :'( :7