Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is a V50 T5 really that slow?

Views : 3546

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 22:08   #11
John_C
Allons-y!

Don will do it via the ODB port, best give him a call as he's sometimes not on the forums for a while depending on how busy he is.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 16:06   #12
thebigv
Master Member

The auto will be slower than a manual, or have i missed the bit that said both were auto?
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 17:28   #13
Chris Parish
Large Member

Smile

I have been driving many different cars for 40yrs and it never ceases to amaze me how when you actually drive a car it seems to be completely different from the road test reports and the apparent performance bears no resemblance to the quoted figures.

My S80 D5 is supposed to be much slower in acceleration that my wife's S60 2.0 T. What the bare figures don't tell you is that the S80 will romp off very quickly without any fuss or driver expertise due to its low down torque. The S60 needs to be thrashed to get the (much faster) acceleration figures, but during normal driving actually feels slower.

Currently: S60 T S 2001 and S80 D5 2002
Previously: 245 and V70 T5
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 22:41   #14
Simon J
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigv View Post
The auto will be slower than a manual, or have i missed the bit that said both were auto?
They're both auto and it's the lack of 'grunt' in the V50 that I was originally commenting on but as Don Norchi pointed out it's a low pressure turbo so not likely to give the kick in the back that the high pressure turbo in the C70 gives. I really must try them side by side on that private road close by - heh, heh!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 17:27   #15
Chris Parish
Large Member

Smile

Quote:
On a road test, manual transmission will allow the test driver to abuse the car by dropping the clutch at max revs, spinning the wheels and changing gear as quick as possible etc. in order to obtain the lowest acceleration times. Times obtained in this fashion will normally be faster than the equivalent automatic. Most drivers would not treat their car like this, so will not be able to achieve the same results.

However, granny can floor the throttle in an auto and achieve exactly the same results as the tester on the road test.

My point is that unless you are up against the Stig, an auto will not be any slower than its manual counterpart most of the time.

Currently: S60 T S 2001 and S80 D5 2002
Previously: 245 and V70 T5
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 22:15   #16
thebigv
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parish View Post
On a road test, manual transmission will allow the test driver to abuse the car by dropping the clutch at max revs, spinning the wheels and changing gear as quick as possible etc. in order to obtain the lowest acceleration times. Times obtained in this fashion will normally be faster than the equivalent automatic. Most drivers would not treat their car like this, so will not be able to achieve the same results.

However, granny can floor the throttle in an auto and achieve exactly the same results as the tester on the road test.

My point is that unless you are up against the Stig, an auto will not be any slower than its manual counterpart most of the time.
Irrespective of whether its the stig or captian slow, floor both cars and change gear properly the manual will always win. Its a common fact, ou effectively lose something like 10% through the transmission, granted newer autos are better these days than ten years ago but the same car etc will always be quicker in a manual. Also in relation to 0 to 60 mph times, volvo alter theres to be slightly higher as they cannot truly match speed with safety, after all Volvo's generally set the bench mark in safety, how can a car that is the safest in its class also be the fastest, psychology and marketing always beat the truth.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 22:30   #17
PICKLEPOP

Quote:
Irrespective of whether its the stig or captian slow, floor both cars and change gear properly the manual will always win. Its a common fact, ou effectively lose something like 10% through the transmission, granted newer autos are better these days than ten years ago but the same car etc will always be quicker in a manual. Also in relation to 0 to 60 mph times, volvo alter theres to be slightly higher as they cannot truly match speed with safety, after all Volvo's generally set the bench mark in safety, how can a car that is the safest in its class also be the fastest, psychology and marketing always beat the truth.
Its also a fact that some of the highest performing and most expensive sports cars on the market today are only offered as automatics.The theory being that the auto box can up/downshift quicker than you could do it manualy and be smoother plus theres less chance of wrecking the transmission with 500+BHP on tap.

Last edited by PICKLEPOP; Aug 30th, 2009 at 22:46.
PICKLEPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 14:15   #18
Kerry_T-5R
854 T-5R owner

Auto's are just as quick if not quicker than manual's nowadays eg Mercedes AMG's are Auto, BMW's have the SMG gearbox which changes as quick as a manual and even revs on down shifts simulating heel and toe down shifting.

F1 cars have an automatic up shift aswell!

Volvo 850 T-5R manual (Olive) B5234T5 : 305 bhp & a 14.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 101 mph & Volvo S40 1.9D S 2004 Daily driver
Ex-Volvo: B4194-T2 (S40 T4).
Kerry_T-5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 21:05   #19
PICKLEPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_T-5R View Post
Auto's are just as quick if not quicker than manual's nowadays eg Mercedes AMG's are Auto, BMW's have the SMG gearbox which changes as quick as a manual and even revs on down shifts simulating heel and toe down shifting.

F1 cars have an automatic up shift aswell!
My point exactly. Bugatti Veyron, maclaren mercedes. Just cant seem them fitting a four on the floor somehow and it being quicker.
PICKLEPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 21:24   #20
thebigv
Master Member

Yeh but they are hypercars which have gearboxes that cost more than our cars are when they are new, they also have ECU's in them that probably cost the same. We have cars that are for general use etc etc. All i'm saying is were talking about a Volvo V50 and a C70. Not £300,000 hypercars or M5's and M3's that simulate heel and toe, which by the way only works when your kicking its head in. The other point being, put a manual T5 against and auto one and the Manual will win. After all thats the reason the police chose manuals before they got auto Mercs. Give it a fancy trick box (like Audi's DSG which preselects gears for you, paddle shifts etc) and it might be quicker. But it'll also cost more if it goes wrong and only the manufacturer will be able to fix it. They are trying now to corner the market totally for aftercare. Your box breaks on a manual, any gearbox nut can fix it. Break an Audi DSG one, they replace it at £4k.

By the way a V50 T5 manual does 60 in 6.7s, the geartronic which is Volvos fancy Auto box does it in 7.1s according to Parkers facts and figures. They both have 226bhp and the manual does 3 mph more. Te S60R, does it in 5.5s manual, 7.3s Geartronic. 155mph 300bhp.

Now i know the Veyron does over 240mph with an Auto box, but how many volvo's cost a million?