Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 T8 on order - questions!

Views : 929

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2017, 13:07   #1
Fortune7
VOC Member

Default Xc90 T8 on order - questions!

My T8 Inscription pro was ordered on 13th April via Carwow best offer. I'd been to my local Volvo dealer for a test drive and quote, including trade-in for my 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but they were nowhere near the best deal quoted on Carwow; a dealer some 100 miles away but seems legit. All enquiries at the time suggested a September delivery so I accepted that.
Having read here of software issues and other teething problems I'm wondering about the likelihood of my local Volvo dealer 'gladly' accepting all warranty work. No doubt Volvo UK say that owners can get service at any accredited service centre but does this work for a brand new car with issues? I suppose the correct approach is to thoroughly check the car and its systems at the 'distant' dealer and refuse to accept the car (returning home again if need be) if there are issues.
Perhaps I'm anticipating failure unnecessarily (!) but trying to be practical. What are others' experiences when buying from afar?

Cheers, Andy
Old May 8th, 2017, 13:14   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

Any Volvo dealer would be happy to accept Warranty Work, they get paid by Volvo.

You will likely (hopefully) only see the Service folk at your local dealers and form your own opinion/relationship.

The only trouble would arise where you need to reject a car or take it up with the original selling dealership..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2017, 13:20   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
My T8 Inscription pro was ordered on 13th April via Carwow best offer. I'd been to my local Volvo dealer for a test drive and quote, including trade-in for my 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but they were nowhere near the best deal quoted on Carwow; a dealer some 100 miles away but seems legit. All enquiries at the time suggested a September delivery so I accepted that.
Having read here of software issues and other teething problems I'm wondering about the likelihood of my local Volvo dealer 'gladly' accepting all warranty work. No doubt Volvo UK say that owners can get service at any accredited service centre but does this work for a brand new car with issues? I suppose the correct approach is to thoroughly check the car and its systems at the 'distant' dealer and refuse to accept the car (returning home again if need be) if there are issues.
Perhaps I'm anticipating failure unnecessarily (!) but trying to be practical. What are others' experiences when buying from afar?

Cheers, Andy
Its not the answer to your exact question, but: I got my first quote from Carwow, and although the dealer wasn't that far away from me, had similar concerns. My local dealer originally told me there were no deals to be had on the XC90 at the time I was purchasing, but I was quite open about the CW quote I'd had from elsewhere and with a little pushing managed to get my local dealer pretty much as close as the original Carwow offer. They'd offered me £500 less on my trade in, but accepted anyway, with the view that I'd take their price on the trade in, if I could sell it privately in the meantime (while I awaited delivery). As it happened I managed to sell for 2.5K above the trade in offer.

So I'd 1) push your local dealer a bit (tell them there is 8.5% discount on offer on drivethedeal.com) and 2) consider selling your trade in privately. By selling privately you should be able to get a little more for your car and also give your dealer more room to play if you not trading in.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2017, 13:39   #4
soupytwister
Master Member

There's little loyalty these days! Consider the scenario when you move house from one end of the country to another - you're hardly expected to trundle back to your old dealer for servicing/warranty work. As someone said, warranty work is paid work, so while dealers may serve the line of "best to stay local", it doesn't necessarily translate to better service.

I used Carwow to find XC90's, and after the local dealer saying there was nothing in the network, Carwow turned up in stock cars all over the country ready for delivery - tens & tens of them. If you're not precious about spec or colour, you could get one instantly - that was 2 months ago.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2017, 13:58   #5
Fortune7
VOC Member

Thanks - good to know. I just had an email from dealer saying my car's now expected to them on 19th June! (So what happened to everyone's September prediction?). I now have to decide if it's worth it to me to take it early, maybe getting an improved trade-in price. As I'm buying via Volvo PCP, should I expect a different 'residual value' at the end of 3 years term, as it'll be 3 months earlier than previously quoted? Probably not....Also, buying via PCP terms, there's no real advantage (value-wise) to waiting for the 77 registration, is there?

Cheers, Andy
Old May 8th, 2017, 14:07   #6
soupytwister
Master Member

If you wait for 77-reg, that's a 10 year wait Hehe....

I would take it when it arrives - you'll enjoy it!
Old May 8th, 2017, 14:09   #7
soupytwister
Master Member

Oops...deleted post due to not reading properly....
Old May 8th, 2017, 14:09   #8
shortword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
Thanks - good to know. I just had an email from dealer saying my car's now expected to them on 19th June! (So what happened to everyone's September prediction?). I now have to decide if it's worth it to me to take it early, maybe getting an improved trade-in price. As I'm buying via Volvo PCP, should I expect a different 'residual value' at the end of 3 years term, as it'll be 3 months earlier than previously quoted? Probably not....Also, buying via PCP terms, there's no real advantage (value-wise) to waiting for the 77 registration, is there?

Cheers, Andy
I was quoted September 2 weeks ago. When the order went in it came back as July 20th.

So either capacity has been increased or demand is not as high as this time last year. Either way for me it's win win.

For you it's your call!
Old May 8th, 2017, 14:22   #9
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
If you wait for 77-reg, that's a 10 year wait Hehe....

I would take it when it arrives - you'll enjoy it!
Yeah sorry, should have said '67 reg'!

Andy
Old May 8th, 2017, 15:16   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

If you have any dealer fit accessories as part of the deal and they muck up the fitment of them then this isnt a warranty issue, it has to be back to the supplying dealer.

This might sound obtuse but we just bought a V60 from Bristol Street Sheffield. They ballsed up the reversing camera and the tow bar. They fitted the camera and broke all the trim clips so bits of clips rattled round inside the boot lid cavity. They then incorrectly fitted the bumper back after fitting the tow bar so the bumper fouled the bootlid and rubbed all the paint off the bootlid.......

I had an enormous battle with them as I refused to allow them to touch the car again as they had made such a mess of it. Volvo said it wasnt warranty as the accessory itself had not failed. In the end we compromised and the car went to a Volvo approved bodyshop which was not part of Bristol Street and BS paid them directly....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: