Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I adjust the headlight beam if I have xenons?

Views : 1808

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2016, 20:13   #11
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Default Headlight adjuster

On the back of the headlight between the two lamp covers is a small matchbox sized box with three connections. I presume this is the stepper motor to adjust the headlight height?
On top of this box is a plastic nut. Is this the height adjuster?
Xc70 2006 with downgraded lights, they were xenons but are now halogens.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 11:17   #12
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

To add to the confusion or bad luck the passenger side headlight bulb is playing up. Doesnt turn on and sends an error message on the dash but switching it off and on again usually gets its going.

Would my best solution be to replace both xenon bulbs? If so is it an easy job or shal I take it to an electrician?
Vol S80 Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 12:04   #13
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol S80 Lux View Post
To add to the confusion or bad luck the passenger side headlight bulb is playing up. Doesnt turn on and sends an error message on the dash but switching it off and on again usually gets its going.

Would my best solution be to replace both xenon bulbs? If so is it an easy job or shal I take it to an electrician?
It's not a straight swap, xenons have control gear so this needs linking out. I'm not sure the Xenons lamp holders are the same as halogens either?
You may then suffer the DIM telling you your headlamps have failed like mine does because of the differing load between halogens and xenons.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 14:46   #14
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
It's not a straight swap, xenons have control gear so this needs linking out. I'm not sure the Xenons lamp holders are the same as halogens either?
You may then suffer the DIM telling you your headlamps have failed like mine does because of the differing load between halogens and xenons.
I see. I think its best not to attempt a bulb change myself

I know of a good electrician who has xenon bulbs in stock most of the time. I think Ill go see him.

He could probably adjust them as well if need be.

Thank you very much. Will keep this thread up to date.
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 23:59   #15
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Xenons should ideally be replaced in pairs as their colour changes to a more pinky shade as time progresses. Plus if they've both been used for the same time, then they will both be equally 'worn' and prone to failure.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 14:51   #16
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
On the back of the headlight between the two lamp covers is a small matchbox sized box with three connections. I presume this is the stepper motor to adjust the headlight height?
On top of this box is a plastic nut. Is this the height adjuster?
Xc70 2006 with downgraded lights, they were xenons but are now halogens.
Sorry answers abit late but yes and yes to your questions.
Also if you do "manually" adjust the light with the plastic nut remember to adjust it back if/when you take car for service. The light may be reset, but you will have lost your manual adjustment. - you can only use it once.

PS lamp holders are different 'tween xenons n halogen too

Cheers

Bob
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 18:26   #17
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Right so for a quick update.

I did a bit more research about xenon bulb failure and found out that they tend to deteriorate over time rather than blow out like halogens so I thought I could wait a bit longer.

Today the passenger side headlight didnt work at all. This was previously, perfectly fine so I decided to swap the bulbs and put them in the opposite sides. As I thought, when I swapped them over the good one worked fine (apart from its colour change; the reason for this thread) and the bad one didnt work at either side so it looks like I need some new xenon bulbs.

So, the lovely people of this forum, my next question is which xenons to buy and from where?
I dnt mind paying more for a quality product. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 00:46   #18
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol S80 Lux View Post
So, the lovely people of this forum, my next question is which xenons to buy and from where?
I dnt mind paying more for a quality product. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
My cars a 2004 pre face lift V70
But there appears to be a bit of confusion on Xenons - different types with banding/non banding. I was confused so as they tend to last years (oem do ) I went to Volvo +chassis no.
Only bought one, yes they are a different colour when you look at them, but they work fine and they passed the MOT.
Took the light unit out ( bumper off etc) to fit it myself. - Refiited old bulb several times to get hang of fitting procedure - good job too as I smashed it at first attempt.

After about 5 practices fitted new bulb with no issue.

Bob

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote