Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote Key Fob not ejecting

Views : 2285

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 17:31   #1
Kentcoast

Default Remote Key Fob not ejecting

My Volvo dealership seems to be hitting a brick wall with this one so just wondering if anybody else has had this experience; I arrive at destination and push the stop/start engine button. I press the remote key fob which should eject, but it doesn't. After varying amounts of time it will eject on its own (This can be anything from five minutes to an hour). Random on screen messages appear. So far, have replaced batteries in fobs, had software update and recently had the key reader unit replaced. 45 minutes after which the problem occurred again. I would be interested to know if this is a unique situation or if anyone has had the same happen and if so, what was the resolution?
Kentcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 19:26   #2
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Might seem a stupid question but does it do it with the spare key?

When you say "random error messages on the screen" can you be more specific? I'm not a whizz on the whole error message/fault code scenario, but some guys on here are quite good on that so it might help if you can capture what it says.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 20:21   #3
stevie a

I am new to Volvo, but my first thought is sticky relay

My last car bmw e46 would lock the doors but would not open them

as you say might be 5 minuted or 1 hour.

and the problem with that was a sticky relay.
stevie a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:05   #4
Kentcoast

Hello there, and thank you for responding. Yes this happens with the spare key as well. The most common message is "Immobiliser try start again". I also have "Key error", "Depress Clutch", "Steering Lock ........". There have been others but those I have mentioned have been the most frequent. On the radio screen I have also had "Warning, low battery" a couple of times. Volvo have been unable to trace the fault and seem to be conducting a "Well let's try this next" approach.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:09   #5
Kentcoast

Thank you very much for responding. I'm not sure in which part of the system a sticky relay might be but I'm willing to suggest anything to Volvo as they don't seem to know what the problem is. As I said in my original post, they have just replaced the whole unit where the key fob is inserted but the problem occurred again 45 minutes after leaving them.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 17:05   #6
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Got to be worth suspecting the battery? I've heard all sorts of weird stuff happening on modern cars because of a drop in voltage due to a failed cell in the battery.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 19:36   #7
Kentcoast

I don't think this is due to the battery as a complete check of the electrical system was, supposedly, carried out. However I will make sure it is checked again on the car's next visit to try to remedy the problem. I'll update this posting next week or the following
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 19:41   #8
shadow12

Default Remote key fob not ejecting

did you resolve the key fob not ejecting issue. I have 2008 XC70 with the same problem. Sometimes ejects sometimes not
shadow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 00:11   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

He's not checked in for over 3 years so I guess he got fed up and flogged the car
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 08:25   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentcoast View Post
Hello there, and thank you for responding. Yes this happens with the spare key as well. The most common message is "Immobiliser try start again". I also have "Key error", "Depress Clutch", "Steering Lock ........". There have been others but those I have mentioned have been the most frequent. On the radio screen I have also had "Warning, low battery" a couple of times. Volvo have been unable to trace the fault and seem to be conducting a "Well let's try this next" approach.
volvo technicians do not work on their own they have the full support from volvo UK , by now they should have contacted them and getting the right answers , Be forceful , ask them whether they have sent a technical request and if not , why not ... they should have done that after the replacement key holder didn't work .