Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

reliability of auto gearbox

Views : 4066

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2016, 18:29   #1
jeepster1961

Default reliability of auto gearbox

hi all, what are your thoughts on the reliability or not of the auto boxes fitted to xc70.

I am looking for an xc 70 to replace my v70 but most that I have come across have the automatic box fitted. I don't have loads of money and I am looking for a 57 - 09 ish model

Can I ask, how many miles have you covered in your xc 70 if fitted with an auto gearbox and have they been trouble free

Have you had to have a reconditioned box fitted and at what mileage.
jeepster1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 19:33   #2
xc70jason
Premier Member

Hello,my old XC70 was on a "54" plate and had covered just shy of 130k of which i had done around 70k of them and i can honestly say that gearbox wise they were trouble free.I also towed a twin axle tin tent with it with ease.

Good luck

Jason
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 19:46   #3
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Mine is an S80 but it's the same gearbox. Mine has 350,000kms on it and still going strong.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 20:05   #4
RM955I
Premier Member

They key is to buy one that is good. That shouldn't be hard - drive it cold, check for smooth shifts, ensure no flaring (like a clutch slipping as it changes) and definitely no banging into gear; check the same when hot. A bit of a lurch needn't mean a bad 'box - engine top mount (aka torque mount or stabiliser bar mount) can wear causing too much fore/aft engine movement. There's also a smaller mount on the gearbox underneath that can cause the same issue.

Assuming that's all good, you should then do some 'sump dumps' or a full flush. Each has merits. some swear by a flush, which replaces all of the old fluid. The down side is you never really let the clean fluid which contains a small amount of detergent, really get to work inside the 'box. A 'sump dump' drops about half the fluid at a time. The downside is you needs to do 4, 5 or 6 (maybe more), slowly diluting the %age of original dirty oil: the up side is the clean fluid can really get to work cleaning the crud.

In my view neither a single sump dump or a flush should be seen as a complete job. If you want to do a flush, using about 18 litres, then you need to be prepared to do some more sump dumps a 1000 miles apart a bit later: if you do sump dumps, be prepared to do a number of them (say 5 or 6 at 3.2 litres a time) until the fluid starts to come out clean.

Everyone has a view...I prefer sump dumps.

As for the ATF...it varies on model year so you need to check. Some models use JWs 3309 spec oil, some use BOT spec or even different spec oil - check carefully what you should use.

Some swear blind you should do 'forced adaptations' to recalibrate the changes; I've never had need to. Volvo recommend forced adaptations and in fairness I may do that once and only once I'm back to clean fluid coming out.

My previous V70 had 164k and was sweet; my current P3 has 120k and is also good. I think that with XCs, the AWD system is also worth checking - early ones had issues; later ones less so.

Last edited by RM955I; Jul 13th, 2016 at 20:10.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 09:13   #5
Tickingcrow

Hi Jeepster,

I'll echo the comments of everyone above. My P2 V70 (2005 model) had 225,000 miles when I sold it, the autobox was perfect. I've just bought an XC70 with 120,000 miles without any qualms - slight lie, I was nervous as hell whilst my mechanic thoroughly inspected it: he gave it a big thumbs up! I drove from London to North of Perth and back last weekend, the drive train was quiet and the ride sublime.

Compared to the Mercedes V6 350 diesel engine, the D5 is agricultural but, it is much more reliable and robust.

Have a look at Sacha94's XC70 that's for sale. All the good points and bad points are listed and she's months of excellent posts about it.

Good luck with your search and please, keep us all posted.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 09:43   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

As above, my V70 is on 161K miles and I've done flushes of the ATF every 80k miles with the occasional sump change inbetween. Just like the D5 engine, if looked after the gearbox's seem quite solid.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 13:11   #7
AyrshireXC90

My MY14 D5 Auto XC70 has not been so lucky. New alternator (after car died completely) at 30k, and new gearbox at 34k (due to very lumpy changes despite three software reinstalls). Currently back in the garage due to rough running (? injectors) and suspected wheel bearing problems., amongst other issues.
Garage have been excellent (Volvo Ayr), but VCUK are quite disinterested in trying to keep loyal customers loyal.
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 10:04   #8
MartinK

My 2009 XC70 is now on 126,000 miles, owned from new.

The Dealer (I now use Hutton Bros) does the "standard" service as defined by Volvo every spring (usually April)

I do a oil/filter change, and an ATF sump dump every Autumn

On the basis of 18-20k miles per annum, that's 10k miles between engine oil changes, and 20k miles between gearbox "sump dumps".

I wrote the Articles for both processes:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150828
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160569

Old Jul 15th, 2016, 11:16   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1961 View Post
hi all, what are your thoughts on the reliability or not of the auto boxes fitted to xc70.

I am looking for an xc 70 to replace my v70 but most that I have come across have the automatic box fitted. I don't have loads of money and I am looking for a 57 - 09 ish model

Can I ask, how many miles have you covered in your xc 70 if fitted with an auto gearbox and have they been trouble free

Have you had to have a reconditioned box fitted and at what mileage.
These boxes are reliable , the vast majority have no problems , volvo advise oil change every couple of years if the box is used for taxi work or towing or other arduous tasks , most do NOT get done ...But if i owned one i would change the oil every 36000 or 54000 miles and get the software updated with your volvo service ( free) or pay for it every couple of years . Volvo are tweeking the software quite often to keep the boxes reliable as they age . You need to take your potential new car on a 30 mile test drive , work the box hard and look for any jolts or slipping and make sure it goes from R to D with no jolt at all .
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 16:40   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

I had the gearbox replaced/box flushed after 120000 km. Significant improvement in gearchange quality, although I didn't notice it had deteriorated over time. But with new oil a very obvious improvement.

I plan to do it again after 240000 km or so.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: