Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window washers failed

Views : 414

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2016, 12:58   #1
iep

Default Window washers failed

Hi, both my front and rear window washers have suddenly ceased to operate.

1. Washer bottle is full.
2. Fuse is fine.
3. No puddles under the car after I try to wash windows so I guess unlikely that a hose has popped off.
4. I don't hear a motor run when I try to wash windows.

Since both front and rear washers failed simultaneously, I'm guessing it is not pump motor failure (I presume there is one motor for each).

Does anyone have any other suggestions of simple things to check before I start what looks like a fairly major dismantle job to get to the washer bottle?

Thanks,

iep
iep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 13:08   #2
iep

Bit of better searching on my part just threw up this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=washer

Sounds like it uses one motor that sprays front or back window depending on which way the motor spins. In that case, most likely it is the motor that has failed I guess.

Has anyone found an easier route to removing the motor than removing the whole front bumper?

Thanks,

iep
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 13:33   #3
bobsy852

Is this for a V70?

You're correct, the motor for windscreen washers does both the windscreen and tailgate.
However, you don't need to take the whole, or any of, the bumper off to replace the pump.

1. Jack the passenger side up and remove the front passenger side wheel.
2. Remove the front wheel arch lining (about 8x screws and 2 plastic nuts)
3. You should then easily see the washer bottle towards the front of the wheel arch.

Some people will say you can do it with the wheel in place but I find for the extra 10mins work of removing the wheel etc. it gives a lot more access!

If you have headlamp washers too then you will have two pumps connected to the washer bottle. One of them sits upright in the washer bottle, while the other is connected at 90degrees. (this will make sense when you see them). IIRC the one for the windscreen washers is connected at 90degrees and pulls out of the bottle horizontally (while the headlamp washer pulls upwards out of the bottle).
The windscreen/tailgate washer pump will have a rubber bung with a filter over it when you pull it out.
The hoses to this pump should also be rubber (where as the ones to the headlamp washers are in a plastic that looks like cable tidy or something).

I'm willing to bet that the pump is actually fine and infact the filter over is it completely clogged. This was preventing mine from working! (I also had a leak on the headlamp washer hose as well though).

To clean it out, simply remove the pump (pulls out of the washer bottle) and get the bung out too and clean it out under a tap.
If you want to test the pump just stick it in a bucket of clean water without the filter over the end and ask someone to go test the windscreen washers for you!

When putting it back in, put the filter/bung over the pump first then slide them both in together otherwise the bung/filter will get forced inside the washer bottle when you try to push the pump into it, and then the filter/bung is a bit of a pain to get back out! lol

If the pump really has failed then it's only an electrical connection extra to undo and then you can replace it!

Take a look at this thread here for a couple of photos, although these are for the HEADLAMP washers:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250945

Hope that helps!

Last edited by bobsy852; Jul 14th, 2016 at 14:01.
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobsy852 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 13:35   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

You can get at the rear of the washer bottle by removing the N/S wheel arch liner. Not sure if this gives you access to the motor though. If your going to remove the bumper, make sure to get help as it is a bit tricky doing it on your own.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 14:02   #5
iep

Sorry, didn't specify the car! What a rookie mistake. It's for a 2008 XC70 (so basically a V70).

Thanks for working around this and for the advice.

The lack of motor noise makes me suspect the motor. With the work to remove it, I wonder if I should just order one up in advance of doing the job. Looks like you can get Febi ones on eBay for about £10.

Cheers,

iep
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 15:08   #6
biggs312800

I had this issue with the fronts but i could hear the pump. The back was fine and when I disconnected the the pipes at the front the water pumped out fine. Took off the washer nozzles and blasted them through with a small compressor and hey presto must have been a blockage. Been fine since
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:30   #7
iep

All fixed. it was the pump that had failed, filter was clean as a whistle!

FYI, eurocarparts stock the pump for £20 plus this. it is exactly the same as the one that came out down to the manufacturers codes. So, beats paying volvo dealer prices (I gather about £50 plus).

As described in prior helpful posts, the process was to jack up the car, remove passenger side front wheel and then arch liner. This gives (just) enough access to get to the pump.

On the XC70 there are a couple of extra torx screws to undo due to the extra plastics and I think liner removal may be a little more fiddly than on the V70 but with a bit of care it is totally doable. I also found it helpful to remove the first two screws of the lower plastic section of the bumper so that I could bend it down slightly to improve access to the pump. If you have skinny arms though you might not need to bother.

Thanks again to all the useful advice.

Cheers,

iep