Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 - Definitively - which Spark Plugs ?

Views : 4949

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 22:37   #11
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi XCR, I agree that purchasing from ebay can be a lottery but provided one finds an established uk seller with 100% feedback it should be safe. "complicit to a fraud", good luck with that mate. Report to the police and then to ebay.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 15:42   #12
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

You do know you are debating about saving £30ish on parts that last for 30k miles?

Having said that I am not impressed that a set of volvo plugs used to be about £35 not too long ago and the price has sky rocketed.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 16:35   #13
XCR
Master Member

Its a point of principal. Should we pay £250 for a 'Volvo' Tyre if we discovered that it was in fact made by Pirelli and available without the branding for £150 ?
Course we shouldn't.
A con like that wouldn't work as most motorists are reasonably savvy when it comes to tyres. Spark Plugs though......
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 16:59   #14
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Its a point of principal. Should we pay £250 for a 'Volvo' Tyre if we discovered that it was in fact made by Pirelli and available without the branding for £150 ?
Course we shouldn't.
A con like that wouldn't work as most motorists are reasonably savvy when it comes to tyres. Spark Plugs though......
I quite agree. On tyres I've found blackcircles are usually the cheapest fitted price. I've regularly encouraged people to do what you suggest, particularly on sensors where there is more money to be saved. I've also had to replace several aftermarket parts with volvo bits after they did not last/work properly, looking at you scantech...

I work from home and don't do as much mileage as I used to so it is a number of years between changing them (I personally change them at 30k miles or 3 years - whichever comes first) and for the sake of an extra £30 I'll pay it for the peace of mind that they are correct for the engine and fit & forget about them for 3 years.

I could see a case where if you were racking up the miles and changing the plugs every year then the saving would definately be worthwhile.

The volvo ones are good though - I once changed out a set during a service (no issues) that had done 30k miles including a track day and, after a quick clean/wire brush, looked like new.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 18:08   #15
XCR
Master Member

Andrew, I've just had a look at your gallery. Lovely looking machine you have there ! What headlights do you have fitted ?
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 19:28   #16
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Andrew, I've just had a look at your gallery. Lovely looking machine you have there ! What headlights do you have fitted ?
Thanks! They were the projector headlights but they are old pics. It now has the C70 facelift headlights and indicators as well as other changes. My mx5 road legal track day toy takes all my spare cash nowadays though...

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO

Last edited by acshortt5; Feb 26th, 2019 at 19:33.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 21:00   #17
byootox
Premier Member

I've had my T5 about 7 years now, think I've only ever fitted one set of genuine plugs as they were on an offer.
I fit NGK plugs and have had no problems whatsoever with them.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 21:51   #18
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi XCR, As said in this thread we are only talking about a few pounds. Should your engine run well with the new plugs then all is good. In future why don't you purchase parts form your volvo dealer, then presumably you will feel confident. You will of course be paying well over the odds but that's your choice. jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 22:08   #19
Volvofreak2

Hej guys,

read this thread with interest. Well thought about it and got to the conclusion, that I do not want to start the well known discussion about: Bosch or NKG don´t work at all. No, sorry don´t want really! I want to bring a other consideration into mind. One important thing, that the lifetime of the spurgplugs concerns is the question: how healthy is the engine? If it is in good shape, they (at least OGM) run 40k Kilometers without problems. If the engine is not healthy and burns oil or if the ignitonsystem is worn out (bad ignition coil or harness or so), they won´t for sure!
And if you got a healthy engine, what is the clue, to save 30 Pounds every 40k Kilometers on a stupid sparkplug? That´s less than it costs to fill her up.

Hej hej Gernot

current: V70 I, B5254T MY99, TME exhaustpipe, 850 R MY96, 850 GLT 20V B5254S, Mj 94 previous: V70 I, B5252S, V70 I, B5254S2, killed by a parcel service driver

Last edited by Volvofreak2; Feb 26th, 2019 at 22:35.
Volvofreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 13:50   #20
XCR
Master Member

They arrived today and upon inspection they look like the genuine article.
What do YOU think ?
Under £12 delivered.