Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot filter full see manual

Views : 7561

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 13:51   #1
markyc100

Default Soot filter full see manual

Hi all,

I have just replaced the swirl flaps on my 2008 d5 XC90 and whilst turning it over to get it going again the soot filter full see manual message came up. I have taken it to my local garage and he is saying it won't let him force a regen as it is coming up with a fault on the glow plugs.

I have never had any problems with the dpf before, no regen messages at all in the 3 years I have had it.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by markyc100; Jul 24th, 2019 at 14:20.
markyc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 23:55   #2
sv70

Like you i didn't have any issues on my 2005 -v70 euro 4 for the 3 years that i've owned it,apart from one time i left it idle for approx half an hour last winter,to keep warm,but after a blast message went.I also have done some top end work which resulted in me over cranking the motor to start it,stupidly without priming the injector pump,this i am presuming is the reason why my soot filter full has come up and gave me codes-ECM-2B AA and ECM-2B 40-both DPF,i also had code-ECM6661-glow relay control-i thought replace the relay first but after not being able to find it,mainly because where the diagram on the engine fuse cover shows it's so called position-there is a blank space and where the haynes manual shows it to be volvo's diagram says that is the starter relay,so instead i tried the glow plug resistances check as sirobbs video shows and 4 were ok-0.5 to 0.6 but one was 99.6,so i changed that,and tried giving it a blast but no go,i think it will have to be a forced regen,if any one knows of a simple idiots how to list to do a forced regen or link to one,that would be most helpful as i have pulled the last few hairs i have left trying to do it this evening.Anyway my point is it seems if you have a glowplug issue,car won't be able to self regen til that fault is sorted.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:59   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyc100 View Post
Hi all,

I have just replaced the swirl flaps on my 2008 d5 XC90 and whilst turning it over to get it going again the soot filter full see manual message came up. I have taken it to my local garage and he is saying it won't let him force a regen as it is coming up with a fault on the glow plugs.

I have never had any problems with the dpf before, no regen messages at all in the 3 years I have had it.

Any help would be appreciated
you must have inadvertently done something which affects the glow plugs once you fix that go for a longish drive and it will sort itself out , Do not continue driving otherwise you will block the filter .
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:59   #4
sv70

Thanks Clan,i did give it a good 40 mile motorway blast,but that was before i replaced the 1 faulty glow plug.I am a bit reluctant to try another blast in case i put more soot in the filter,which i don't want to do,so should i try and give it another blast with all glow plugs ok or do i go for a forced regen,cheers
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 13:56   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Thanks Clan,i did give it a good 40 mile motorway blast,but that was before i replaced the 1 faulty glow plug.I am a bit reluctant to try another blast in case i put more soot in the filter,which i don't want to do,so should i try and give it another blast with all glow plugs ok or do i go for a forced regen,cheers
you don't need a blast , just cruising along at 50 mph for a while will trigger it ,
If there are no fault codes .. and as long as it still says SOOT FILTER FULL . If you neglect that message the next stage is when it says ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED , then it needs a forced regeneration which should only be done when absolutely necessary , it is bad for the particle filter as it gets hotter than it does when on the move .. ignore that second message and you will need a new particle filter .
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 14:11   #6
sv70

Thanks Clan,i forgot to say as well as the'' soot filter full''message i also have-''engine system service required'' so does that mean it deffo needs a forced regen,and if so would i be better to take the dpf off and give it a clean either chemically or by reverse flush jet washing,i have ordered the dpf gaskets just incase,coming from Sweden-non available in UK,so that tells you something,and if i clean the dpf or replace with a good one would i still need to clear the fault codes to tell the ecm there's a clean dpf in place for it to work.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 15:52   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Thanks Clan,i forgot to say as well as the'' soot filter full''message i also have-''engine system service required'' so does that mean it deffo needs a forced regen,and if so would i be better to take the dpf off and give it a clean either chemically or by reverse flush jet washing,i have ordered the dpf gaskets just incase,coming from Sweden-non available in UK,so that tells you something,and if i clean the dpf or replace with a good one would i still need to clear the fault codes to tell the ecm there's a clean dpf in place for it to work.
It seems you left it too long , what are the fault codes now ? all you can do is try your forced regeneration , but the system has to be free of fault codes before this will operate , so you need to sort out whatever is causing the fault codes .
Manually cleaning particle filters is generally not successful it is false economy if you understand the path the exhaust soot particles take , they do not go straight through like a catalytic converter for example .
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 17:32   #8
sv70

Thanks Clan i was afraid you would say that,my present codes now are-ECM-2B AA-particulate trap value,and ECM-2B 40-particulate trap faulty signal,i did also have-ECM-6661-glow relay control,which went away when i replaced a glow plug yesterday,i have tried clearing the 2 codes with an icarsoft won't do it and with vida it seems a very complex system in all the sub menus you have to navigate and the part where it tells you to switch engine off restart rev to 1500rpm shut off/start at idle for 20 secs then click ok nothing happens,so it looks like a forced regen is my only hope,which i think with my computer knowledge is beyond my capabilities,so if there is anybody in the Oldham/Manchester area who could perform a forced regen-[after clearing fault codes] i would be happy to sort them out with some beer money,say £25
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 12:01   #9
sv70

Update-I have just seen that the new version of the icarsoft-[vol2] diagnostic tool can do dpf regens,which the i906 can't so will be ordering one,i'l post when i receive it and try a regen.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 17:19   #10
sv70

Another update-i gave vida one last chance before i purchased an icarsoft vol2 ,reader,and after much trawling on the forums for info,i managed to clear my 2 main codes relating to the dpf being full-ECM-2BAA and ECM-2B40,which after going through the adaptation on the ECM around-9 individual items were reset,then i was able to erase the fault codes,so then went on click regen-wouldn't let me,said something like-conditions not met,so went back on fault codes and now only 1 fault code came up-CCM-0040-air quality sensor internal fault,why didn't i sort this code out a year ago when it came up but was such an insignificant problem i decided to leave it,i was kicking myself about that now as it was stopping the regen,anyway it appeared that the main dpf fault code on the dash-soot filter full and engine service system required had gone out and pressing the left stalk message button said -no message,so i thought it's a long shot but just try it round the block and see,anyway i did and it went like a rocket all the power was back just by clearing the dpf codes and i didn't need to do a regen,i have read loads of forum threads and never heard a similar case,so happy days-and if anyone does a top end removal or injector pipes/injection pump, i would deffo take the fuel supply pipe off the pump and bleed it so constant fuel comes out,that i didn't do and i paid the price in all the faffing about i have had to do,and thanks to all the forum members with their own experiences as it's a great help to read the problems and fixes may it long continue,cheers.