Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 - New Rear Springs

Views : 1123

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 06:10   #1
MWMan

Default 2003 V70 - New Rear Springs

This is a follow up question to one I posted earlier this month. Having found that the rear shocks I need to replace are Nivomats, I have purchased a set of new shocks and Springs (Sachs and Lesjfors). Replacing the shocks is quite easy, but as I have seen mentioned a few times on the forum, replacing the rear Springs is not so easy. I have searched the forum, but cant find a post that discusses changing these on a P2. There are videos and guides on the web for the P1 and P3 cars but none that I can find for the P2. Even SiRobb hasn't done his yet!

Looking at the procedure in VIDA, it would be fairly easy to do, if I had the right Spring compressors. The one I used for the front struts are not wide enough to grip the Spring.

I may end up having to take this to a garage to get them done, but before I do, has anyone here actually done this one their drive, and what spring compressors did you use?

I hate to give up on something like this, but I dont want to injure myself doing it. Even the Haynes Manual said that they could find no safe way of doing these, and suggested taking the car to Volvo, who have the hydraulic spring compressors.

thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 10:02   #2
b1mcp

I've used this spring compressor from Sealey a couple of times on P2 V70 rear springs. It works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK38...%2C238&sr=8-18

The only issue is it is too long. That is overcome by using an appropriate spacer tube between the washer and the bottom clamp.

There is a technique which I've used to do this job by lowering the wishbone arm but I've struggled getting everything lined up again using that method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:20   #3
MWMan

Thanks for the response. Knowing that you have actually done this has given me a bit more confidence to give it a go.

From memory, can you remember approximately what length of tube spacer you needed to go with it.

many thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 13:48   #4
bkulcsar

Default Internal spring compressor.

I can confirm that you need an internal spring compressor for this job. The one in the Amazon link is perfect.
I have done this job. Not very difficult, but I hate working with springs... Took me a couple of hours if I remember well.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkulcsar For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 13:54   #5
b1mcp

I just measured the tube (it's still on the compressor). It's 170mm. It's not critical so a bit shorter would be fine I think.

It needs to be pretty stout tube and able to take the force being applied obviously. My tube is 3mm wall steel.

One other point to note if you are changing to new springs. Because you are effectively shortening the length of the tool with the tube, then there isn't enough length left to fully uncompress the spring when you remove it from the car.

What I did was uncompress as far as the tool allows, then used another standard externally fitted spring compressor to hold the spring at that point while the internal compressor is removed. Hope that makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 16:22   #6
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I just measured the tube (it's still on the compressor). It's 170mm. It's not critical so a bit shorter would be fine I think.

It needs to be pretty stout tube and able to take the force being applied obviously. My tube is 3mm wall steel.

One other point to note if you are changing to new springs. Because you are effectively shortening the length of the tool with the tube, then there isn't enough length left to fully uncompress the spring when you remove it from the car.

What I did was uncompress as far as the tool allows, then used another standard externally fitted spring compressor to hold the spring at that point while the internal compressor is removed. Hope that makes sense.
Excellent info thanks. I have the internal compressor on order and will now look for some appropriate steel tubing of the correct length. Also just tried my existing compressors on the "outside" of the Springs and they fit fine.
Should be able to have a go this coming weekend.
Thankyou both (b1mcp and bkulcsar) for the feedback.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 14:35   #7
MWMan

Well, thanks to the helpful feed back from Forum members, I got the rear Springs and Shock absorbers changed on my V70. Little bit fiddly getting the compressed spring in an out, but managed it in the end.

It feels good having done it myself, and saved around £150 in labour costs to have the parts fitted for me.

I have the old NIVOMATS and Springs off the vehicle now (see photo).

The reason I changed them was a comment on the last MOT about the bush on the bottom perishing. Its only on one, the other is OK, and from the looks of it the bottom bush can be taken off and swapped. There are no oil leaks from the shocks and the car was riding fine. Its probably been a bit of a waste of time and money changing them, but hey ho, thats water under the bridge now.

Having originally looked for replacement NIVOMATS on the web, it seems these things attract a premium price. Not sure why anyone would want fit these old things, but just in case - these are FREE to anyone who would like to come and collect them. I live in Bishops Stortford. PM me if you would like them.
If I get no takers in the next week or so, Ill send them to shock absorbers heaven. I'll post them on the sales section as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0777.jpg (282.1 KB, 41 views)
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 21:44   #8
davebb
Premier Member

Hi MWMan
How do the new shocks/springs feel to your old ones when they are good,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 06:30   #9
MWMan

Hi Dave

I originally fitted the new shocks to the old Nivomat Springs, and it was obvious that the car was sitting lower than before. When I fitted the new shocks along with standard springs, the car is sitting slightly higher than it was with the Nivomats in place.

As for ride, to be honest I cannot tell the difference. The Nivomats were in good shape, other than some perishing of the rubber bush. However, this is with car unloaded. Once I get to filling the rear space up with a decent weight, it will interesting to see how it sits then.

I have attached a photo showing the Sealey AK3842 spring compressor that I used following a recommendation from b1mcp on the forum. I played around with the spacer length to see what would work best and at 110mm, I could compress the spring sufficiently to remove and refit it; and also be able to release the tension without having to use additional spring compressors to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0774.jpg (154.9 KB, 58 views)
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:41   #10
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Thanks for the info,
it should help other users that want to do the same thing,
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote