Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Definitive answer on HID

Views : 1232

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2009, 18:37   #1
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default Definitive answer on HID

After a few lengthy telephone conversations I have found the Definitive answer on HID conversions from the Department Of Transport:

It is not permissible to modify an existing non-HID headlamp to HID.

However it is permissible to replace the entire headlamp unit with one which has European type approval as an HID headlamp.

Any brand new type approved vehicle with HID lights is required to have, in addition, automatic headlamp levelling and headlamp wash. It is therefore expected that any vehicle fitted with HID headlamps as replacements will also be similarly fitted with automatic levelling and washing.

Yours sincerely

Frances Evans
Transport Technology & Standards 3
Department for Transport
LONDON SW1P 4DR

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Think before you print. To save energy and paper please only print this message if you really need to.
This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient the E-mail and any files have been transmitted to you in error and any copying, distribution or other use of the information contained in them is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment on the part of the Government unless confirmed by a communication signed on behalf of the Secretary of State.
The Department's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.
Correspondents should note that all communications from DfT may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for lawful purposes.
************************************************** *********************************

Reply Forward
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 18:47   #2
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

That's correct, even though they make 'anti' dazzle' bulbs for the hids now so it makes no difference.
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 19:27   #3
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Good news for me: Rs have nivomat rear shocks (which counts as the self-levelling), and some late P1 C70s had HIDs from the factory. You can retro-fit units from pretty much any car if you're feeling creative.

What it does mean (quite rightly) is that you shouldn't just bang HID lamps into standard housings. Occasionally works well (they seem to do ok in 850 housings, but not P1 70s, for example), but it's far too random.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 21:55   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

inteersting - I fitted some (just the bulbs) into the wife's 2003 C70 has the standard headlamps are rubbish. Bit of a fiddle ... not completley happy with the resulting pattern, and use the headlamp leveller dwon a notch. Took them out for the last 2 years MOT's, but didn't both this time, and had no problem. Obviosuly from the information above they are technically illegal.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 22:17   #5
adamsky01
back for now

trouble is if we folow the nambey pampie ways of this goverment and f888 eu we would all stay at home and be to scared to leave i have them on my car my car dosent have wasers dosent have self leveling and i have had no problems with them at all mot no isue police no isue so whats the big deal if u like something and want it on ur car do it to hell with every one else its ur car at the end
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adamsky01 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:11   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsky01 View Post
if u like something and want it on ur car do it to hell with every one else its ur car at the end
I'd be interested to see if you agree with that if a driver following you at night has their headlights on main beam. I mean they can see better, right? To hell with everyone else!

When we tried HID lamps in standard C/S/V70 housings, the glare was pretty obnoxious. I'd not want to inflict that on fellow motorists. "Do unto others" doesn't end with "before they do it unto you"

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:52   #7
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I'd be interested to see if you agree with that if a driver following you at night has their headlights on main beam. I mean they can see better, right? To hell with everyone else!

When we tried HID lamps in standard C/S/V70 housings, the glare was pretty obnoxious. I'd not want to inflict that on fellow motorists. "Do unto others" doesn't end with "before they do it unto you"

cheers

James
lol m8 i live in rural wales i care abought not runing a bleeding sheep over and damaging my paint work not woreid abought some idot coming the other way lol with out hid i cant see that far ahead with them i can see up to half a mile down the road u do the math
mine has the two h7 and i have hid in the high beam and low beam shortly im changing the high beam from 35w hid to the new 55w hid now if i wanted to be a jerk i could do it to both but i aint
and a word to the wise i have only been flashed 5 times in memory on each time i believe there was a speed van down the road hum
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 02:12   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I guess the 'flash test' is a good place to start...or have someone else drive your car, and have them follow you...see if it annoys the crap out of you.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 03:16   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Thanks for taking the time effort and trouble to get us a definate answer.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:04   #10
migrator
Aye - him again

I thought on first reading that at last here was a definitive answer to the problem. 'These are the rules and the rest are wrong.' Personal preference and the 'I'll do as I want' approach were now out of the window.

However on re-reading the letter, the last sentence indicates that there is only an 'expectation' that the washers and levellers will also be fitted, it does not state that they are required to be fitted.

Ah well, back to the melting pot (and more blinding aggravation on the roads).

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote