Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trying to identify Webasto Sunroof on 1972 1800ES

Views : 655

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:37   #1
plainjimbo

Default Trying to identify Webasto Sunroof on 1972 1800ES

I'm in the process of restoring a 1972 1800ES that I inherited from my late Grandfather. The car has been parked at my Grandfathers since the early 1990's. He used it as his commuter car for years. Just finished having the engine and transmission rebuilt.
Engine

It's currently at a body shop getting ready for paint
Drivers Side

It has what I'm guessing is an aftermarket sunroof installed. It looks like a very high quality installation though. My Grandfather is not the original owner, but he purchased the car back in the 1970s and came with the sunroof already installed. Here is a picture he took of the car, I'm guessing this is from the late 1970's and it already has the sunroof installed:
old photo

Those are knock-off rims too with Volvo three-ear hubs... I'm also trying to figure out if those were an option back then. Can't seem to info on those either.

Here's a close up of the roof right now:
Sunroof Exterior

The sunroof looks like a hand-crank operated sunroof. The crank itself is missing, but the rest of the mechanism is there and looks to be functional and intact. The brand name on the crank mechanism is Webasto, and the other text in there is german that looks like "Bis Anschlag drehen". That which translates to "turn to the stop":
Sunroof Interior

Does anyone know anything about these types of sunroofs and where I can get some more information on them? Searching for Webasto sunroofs now I either find classic soft top sunroofs or new sunroofs. Can't find anything on a classic steel hand crank sunroof from the 70's or 80's....

Does anyone know where I might find either:
  • A replacement hand crank arm? I don't even know what it's supposed to look like
  • Replacement seals?
Any information at all on this thing would be quite helpful. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (242.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg sunroof-exterior.jpg (56.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg sunroof-interior.jpg (147.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg driver-side.jpg (235.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg shop.jpg (217.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by plainjimbo; Feb 28th, 2021 at 18:49.
plainjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:49   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi,

To my knowledge that's not a Webasto sunroof, they tend to be folding vinyl type fitted as aftermarket accessories.

What I think you have is a Golde sunroof which was offered by Volvo as a very expensive option on some models including 1800ES.

IIRC these were fitted after the car was completed in production and sent to a Golde installer for the modification. I also think Golde had some association with VW in Germany but I may be wrong. Have a Google, you may find some info regarding parts for yours.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:52   #3
plainjimbo

Yeah, this one is a bit different than the Golde one's I've seen so far.

Apologies, I had some trouble formatting the images. I think I've fixed them up.

If you look at the interior shot of the Sunroof, it definitely says Webasto on the baseplate for the operating mechanism.
The Following User Says Thank You to plainjimbo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 20:12   #4
plainjimbo

Adding research details in case it helps someone else...

Searching for "w123 sunroof" on Ebay turned up all kinds of parts that look quite similar to my sunroof. I ended up ordering a handle and pin combination for a 70's W123 and it fits and functions perfectly. Got this NOS set for $40 from someone who bought out a benz shop that went out of business:
Worth noting, however, that the W123 base plate does not look identical (no webasto branding):
I did find one a handle and base plate combo on Ebay where the baseplate looked identical to mine (has webasto branding) and the handle is shaped slightly different. This was about twice the price at $90 and didn't come with a pin so I took my chances on the cheaper option, which worked out. Ebay seller mentioned this was an extra they had for a mercedes sedan w108/w110 for early 60 ‘s to 67 up to 70’s for european models:
Additionally I'll include some pictures of the W123 sunroof mechanism in case anyone was interested. There were a bunch of these on Ebay for around $100:
Given the parts and assemblies that are out there, the W123 sunroof looks like it could option for anyone looking to add a sunroof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w123-base-plate.jpg (179.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg webasto-branded-handle.jpg (186.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg w123-handle-pin.jpg (116.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg w123-handle-iso.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg w123-handle-bottom.jpg (137.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg w123-handle-top.jpg (130.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg w123-handle-parts.jpg (141.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg w123-mechanism-eye.jpg (195.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg w123-mechanism-width.jpg (195.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg w123-mechanism-top.jpg (152.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg w123-mechanism-length.jpg (200.2 KB, 3 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to plainjimbo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 01:02   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Even back in the 70s, companies weren't averse to using other companies products and branding them as their own. This is certainly what appears to have happened here. You may also find Ford models of a similar era had Golde sunroofs, i know the Mk4 and 5 Cortinas i had did, not that you got those stateside. I think you got the Capri though (sometimes branded Merkur i think) and they often had sliding steel sunroofs too, usually Golde made.

I see you've already had this advice in a slightly different form, i'm just adding this as a possible alternative source of parts.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 13:37   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yours is not the only US ES with a sliding metal roof. Have a Google.

Or, join here and ask.
1800list@groups.io
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800es, sunroof, webasto