Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Road Map or Sat. Nav. - Which do you prefer?

Views : 1215

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2021, 14:27   #21
DSK
C70 T5

I used both.

Modern day, SatNav tends to work just fine for the major parts of the UK. Only let down was when we used to have M1 night closures between London and Midlands and you had to find alternative routes to guide you around say between Luton/MK upto the midlands. The bloody Tom Tom stated there was a quicker route so I accepted thinking I was smarter than the convoy of HGV drivers at 2am. The bloody sat nav kept leading me to farmers locked gates from which I could see the M1..... So, after 3 failed attempts I told swore at the sat nav and put my faith in the HGV drivers and followed them! SatNav's are only as good as the men in white coats that program them!

Also, what bloody use is a satnav in London, damn thing looses its signal every 10 yards leaving you to drive around in circles.

Its times like this I prefer the old maps. Yes it takes longer to read and plot a route but, you know what route you are going to take and also, little town names stick in your mind so when you're on the road you know you are heading in the right direction. This is why not matter what, my boot has a proper AA map road atlas.

In all honesty I think in modern days very few people will be able to map read.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; Mar 8th, 2021 at 14:29.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 06:01   #22
green van man
Premier Member

Both.
Paper map for the route, sat nav for the final miles in town.

Used to navigate rally chase cars, it was all 1:50,000 OS maps back in the day and still use them along withe the bigger scale OS maps for the green lanes in the landrover.
Do use electronic means to check legality of the lanes beforehand, GLASS Trail wise 2.

Paul.
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 08:09   #23
Simmy
Premier Member

i just set off and put sat nav on when i get near for finding location . i did a road trip in california and never used any thing.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 10:01   #24
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I... So, after 3 failed attempts I told swore at the sat nav and put my faith in the HGV drivers and followed them! ...
In all honesty I think in modern days very few people will be able to map read.
As an HGV driver with 35 years experience it saddens me to say a lot of those HGV drivers you followed were also probably just following their SatNav. The number of new staff and agency staff we get in who can't cope without a SatNav is appalling, all of our routes have what we call an 'Idiot Sheet' which is a tried and tested route we've been using for years, it has written instructions and a map of the destination area but still they will just read the postcode from the address and put it in their SatNav, that then causes a problem as some postcodes will not take them to the delivery door and, depending on the settings on their SatNav, they will take a longer route.
As a part of our HGV qualification we now have to do ongoing training, equivalent to one day a year, and the last time I was on a course they felt it necessary to include half a day on map reading!

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 10:30   #25
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

And it gets worse when the satnav the truck driver is using is designed for cars.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 14:03   #26
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
i just set off and put sat nav on when i get near for finding location . i did a road trip in california and never used any thing.
I've done road trips all over the USA before satnavs were invented! Great fun.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 07:15   #27
c1800
Master Member

“ anyone who relies on just a sat nav, is going to end up being a problem driver sooner or later,”

Satnav or not, aren’t we all?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: