Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024814

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 14:04   #2331
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
You know what Luke, for just a fiver I may get myself some of those - just because they look really cool.

Alan

PS. I couldn't stop myself Luke: they are ordered - cool.
You won't regret it! Go from underneath and you'll have no trouble undoing it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 14:08   #2332
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've never found a redblock tight for access tbh Dave, if you go from underneath there is loads of room.
Quote:
You won't regret it! Go from underneath and you'll have no trouble undoing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I know when i once tried removing the filter from underneath, the words "never again" crossed my lips with a varied and vehement selection of suitable Anglo-Saxon derived words as well!
I ended up wearing a fair amount of hot engine oil Luke! Didn't fancy trying it a second time!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 14:40   #2333
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I've never found a redblock tight for access tbh Dave, if you go from underneath there is loads of room.
Well, that is true enough Luke. I'd even put the RB up on some ramps, but I was just being a bit lazy and thought: 'I can do that from up here'...

the rest is history :-)
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 16:25   #2334
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
I ended up wearing a fair amount of hot engine oil Luke! Didn't fancy trying it a second time!

Where is the photograph please ??????

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 17:58   #2335
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Haha, I've always just slackened them off so they drain with a drip tray underneath and let them finish draining before removing fully.

With those pliers you might be able to slacken it off enough from above with a drip tray underneath.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 06:10   #2336
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Haha, I've always just slackened them off so they drain with a drip tray underneath and let them finish draining before removing fully.

With those pliers you might be able to slacken it off enough from above with a drip tray underneath.
But the problem letting it drain Luke, is that (on the RB) the engine mount is directly below the filter (so it would get soaked) and below that is the under-engine tray. I could remove the cover of course (only seven small bolts), but then a 5 minute job starts becoming a half hour job.

On the RB I think the answer is (and I'll try to remember this next spring when I do it again): put the car on ramps, isolate the battery, empty the oil via the drain plug, get underneath the car, loosen the filter half a turn with the cool pliers, wrap the filter in a Tesco bag, undo the filter by hand and pull it backwards through the gap between the downpipe and the engine mount, have a 2 gallon washing up bowl placed strategically just behind the under-car tray to catch any drips, stuff a rag into the gap just below the filter aperture to catch any drips from there before fitting the new filter.

... I've underlined the bits I forgot to do so as to remind myself this time next year :-)

PS. One more note to myself for next year: the Mann W917 filter only costs £3.80 (delivered) via Amazon, remember to buy another for the spares box some time in the next year.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 7th, 2021 at 06:19.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 06:00   #2337
Othen
Premier Member

Default Summer Tyres

We seem to be emerging from a very mild winter very early this year - I just looked at next week's forecast and can see the median temperature is around 10C. It is always nice when spring comes.

It hardly seems a moment ago that I was swapping to the RB's Pholus wheels and winter tyres, now I'm thinking it is almost time to get the Virgo wheels out of the bike shed and cleaned. That plan (having a spare set of wheels and tyres for the winter) worked quite superbly. Maybe swap them back when BST begins on the 28th.

:-)
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 06:34   #2338
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
We seem to be emerging from a very mild winter very early this year - I just looked at next week's forecast and can see the median temperature is around 10C. It is always nice when spring comes.

It hardly seems a moment ago that I was swapping to the RB's Pholus wheels and winter tyres, now I'm thinking it is almost time to get the Virgo wheels out of the bike shed and cleaned. That plan (having a spare set of wheels and tyres for the winter) worked quite superbly. Maybe swap them back when BST begins on the 28th.

:-)
It all depends which measure of the seasons you observe Alan. There is the "Meteorological Seasons" which broadly speaking are 1st March, 1st June, 1st September and 1st December being the first days of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter respectively.

Then you have what i consider to be the "Natural Seasons" with 21st March, 21st June, 21st September and 21st December being the mid-season points of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter respectively.

That means roughly speaking that 6th February, 6th May, 6th August and 6th November would be the first day of the respective seasons and of course, the mid-points of each align with the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and summer and winter solstices. Not to be forgotten that 21st June and 21st December are known as MidSummers and MidWinters Days and also the longest and shortest days, i think there's a strong case for the "Natural Seasons" and have always preferred that method.

Back to your original point though, i'd argue that it wasn't that mild a winter! There was a time of almost 3 weeks where temperatures didn't get above freezing even during the day. Yes, we'd had some mild days through the preceding times of winter but we also had some seriously cold temperatures through last summer!

Also i heard some reports of it being one of the wettest winters on record which overall would pull the average temperature down - not as far as snow and ice would have done admittedly. Either way, roll on summer! Or at least much warmer and dryer times!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 08:56   #2339
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It all depends which measure of the seasons you observe Alan. There is the "Meteorological Seasons" which broadly speaking are 1st March, 1st June, 1st September and 1st December being the first days of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter respectively.

Then you have what i consider to be the "Natural Seasons" with 21st March, 21st June, 21st September and 21st December being the mid-season points of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter respectively.

That means roughly speaking that 6th February, 6th May, 6th August and 6th November would be the first day of the respective seasons and of course, the mid-points of each align with the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and summer and winter solstices. Not to be forgotten that 21st June and 21st December are known as MidSummers and MidWinters Days and also the longest and shortest days, i think there's a strong case for the "Natural Seasons" and have always preferred that method.

Back to your original point though, i'd argue that it wasn't that mild a winter! There was a time of almost 3 weeks where temperatures didn't get above freezing even during the day. Yes, we'd had some mild days through the preceding times of winter but we also had some seriously cold temperatures through last summer!

Also i heard some reports of it being one of the wettest winters on record which overall would pull the average temperature down - not as far as snow and ice would have done admittedly. Either way, roll on summer! Or at least much warmer and dryer times!
Yes Dave, there are lots of ways of defining spring - mine wasn't meant to be very precise, more a 'I think it is nearly warm enough' way. If we don't get a late cold snap I'll probably aim for the end of GMT, but it is a really quick job, so it won't matter if that goes backwards a bit.

Fortunately I like the look of the Pholus wheels, and the winter tyres work very well indeed. I like the Virgo wheels as well, and it will be nice to change to the slightly more sporty look for the nicer weather. Changing wheels has two advantages (apart from winter tyres being safer in the cold weather):

1. My two sets of (new) tyres will last twice as long.

2. It is a good opportunity to give the wheels, suspension, brakes and arches a good clean and inspection twice per year.

So: win, win, win... :-)
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 10:37   #2340
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Definitely a win-win-win situation Alan!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: