Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 - Sudden loss of power when pulling out of junctions

Views : 2978

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2020, 13:37   #11
AB-UK
Premier Member

I wonder why this has not resulted in a legal issue, especially in the litigious US of A?
Clearly it's a known fault which renders the car useless which means the car is not fit for purpose.
No doubt Volvo will claim it only happens to a few cars, in which case they should always fix it foc. That they don't, speaks volumes.
AB-UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 17:19   #12
XC60Owner

Thanks - it was literally just a couple of weeks under 4 years so very fortunate.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:36   #13
mikeyd2008

Default XC90 T8 2016 ERAD Failed no help from Volvo

My ERAD has failed on 2016 XC90 Volvo have told me in writing that my warranty expired after 3 years. They are not willing to contribute anything towards replacing it. I see in this thread people have mentioned 4 and 5 years warranty for this. Can anyone provide any information i am living in Ireland but the car was imported from the Uk. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
mikeyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 11:44   #14
ustari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2008 View Post
My ERAD has failed on 2016 XC90 Volvo have told me in writing that my warranty expired after 3 years. They are not willing to contribute anything towards replacing it. I see in this thread people have mentioned 4 and 5 years warranty for this. Can anyone provide any information i am living in Ireland but the car was imported from the Uk. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Hi Mikey,

I believe I am starting to experience the same on my car, I am also based in Ireland with the car brought in from the UK through a local indy garage.

Would you mind sharing where you ended up with Volvo here in Ireland?

I was working on the assumption as per the UK of 100% cover for 4 years and 50% for 5 years.

Thanks very much
ustari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 22:06   #15
A58

Default ERAD failure

This forum is incredibly helpful. The cutting out after turning left (and sometimes right) has been an issue with our XC90 T8 (67 plate) for some time with identical symptoms to those described by several others. Before seeing this forum the car had already been into a dealer's service department, they carried out checks and said they had it sorted via a software update. Within a couple of weeks it was clear it hadn't been fixed and this weekend having turned into a (fortunately quiet) dual carriageway and nearly stopped (at which point the one car coming along on the road had caught up and overtaken) we contacted Volvo Assistance who sent out one of their mobile technicians. The technician we were assured was one of their most experienced yet said he had never come across this problem, his mobile diagnostic kit also found nothing wrong. Having gone onto google searching things like loss of power after he had left we came across numerous reports of this issue which led to a further discussion with Volvo Assistance. We are now scheduled to go into the dealer's service department again but as this was arranged Saturday pm now need to confirm a replacement vehicle and also ensure they investigate the ERAD. Regarding the warranty discussion when our 3 year ran out we had what appeared to be a standard offer to extend by one year, by chance the car was in for service and we were told that there is a two year extension option for a relatively small extra cost. Arranging that still involved a couple of hoops but we at least have the reassurance of the extra cover. Handy as the charging unit has also failed and had to be replaced! All rather worrying.
A58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A58 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:06   #16
Daveh1000

Hope you get it sorted, this is the first time I have seen a ERAD failure on a 67 plate and presumably a MY18 as well. I had thought/hoped they had a redesign fir this year which fixed the more common issues
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 22:56   #17
A58

Hi Daveh1000. Thanks for your message. We took delivery autumn 2017 so I assume ours is a MY17 not 18? Presumably this indicates it pre-dates any redesign to fix the problem, as it's now with the dealer hopefully we will hear more shortly and the problem resolved.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 23:36   #18
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A58 View Post
Hi Daveh1000. Thanks for your message. We took delivery autumn 2017 so I assume ours is a MY17 not 18? Presumably this indicates it pre-dates any redesign to fix the problem, as it's now with the dealer hopefully we will hear more shortly and the problem resolved.
I think it will be a MY18. My first T8 was a MY18.5, ordered in October 17, delivered Jan 18 and on a 67 plate.

I don’t know when the ‘mk ii’ ERAD was introduced though...
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 23:28   #19
A58

Default ERAD being replaced

Good news. Dealer experienced the fault while driving. Bad news. Diagnostic tests do not show the fault. However gather a technical update has been just issued by Volvo (as of 02/07/21 apparently) advising dealers that diagnostics don't show the fault but explaining the symptoms (as outlined by several contributors loss of power for 2-3 seconds sometimes more/less) and hence fault finally acknowledged and replacement ERAD on it's way to be fitted asap and hopefully tomorrow. Thank you again for helping illuminate this issue which has been a problem for some time but became potentially very serious when failure occurred on a dual carriageway.
The Following User Says Thank You to A58 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 09:00   #20
AdrianIreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2008 View Post
Hi Mikey, hope you don't mind me reaching out. I live in Dublin, have a 2016 T8 with quite high miles (170k km) - and I am starting to feel those ERAD symptoms. I only have the car 2 years, but know some of these units have failed much earlier than mine.

I have read that the entire ERAD used to be replaced, but now they mainly replace the clutch, so praying it's that - even though I am into the thousands probably. What did you end up paying in the end, and did it sort your problem?

I tried to PM you, but have limitations on who I can PM as I have under 30 posts.

Thanks a million,

Adrian
AdrianIreland is offline   Reply With Quote