Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2028427

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2020, 09:52   #1271
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not sure how serious I am about this one Dave - it might look a bit boy racer-ish for the Royal Barge. The instrument needles are indeed white on the RB, and I quite like the simple look:

... the centre console is quite crowded, so there is nowhere obvious to put the extra instruments:

... unless perhaps I put something here on the dash, as you may see someone has attached something previously. I suppose a couple or three gauges neatly set into some 2" holes in the dash (I don't know what is behind that area) would look okay and hide the wires. I'm not sure it wouldn't look a little bit naff though, what do you think.

This adapter would seem to be the right part, and is available in the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-F...YAAOSwsypey-Vt

Space might be a bit tight because of the oil filter and alternator?

I think this is one of those 'wait and see' projects, I'll mull it over for a few weeks, if I manage to convince myself it makes sense then it would be a good job for the winter break.

Stay safe,

Alan
You should be able to find a place/orientation of that adaptor so you can fit everything fairly easily, might be a bit of Krypton factor type juggling though.

I'm not sure what's behind that part of the dash on yours, i know below it will be heater ducts to the vents.

Something that crossed my mind that would work nicely and give you more of a project to get your teeth into is to make your own custom pod in the style of the main instrument pod but designed to fit alongside. Some sheet aluminium covered in a thin layer of upholstery foam then black vinyl to make it feel right, either bring a flat black cable out from under the front and in behind the heater vents to go whereever the wires needed to go or a hole through the top of the dash with the pod sat over it.. Alternatively, make the front panel of the pod wrap under the top of the dash so it hides the cable coming out the front.

Just some ideas for your mull it over time!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 10:53   #1272
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You should be able to find a place/orientation of that adaptor so you can fit everything fairly easily, might be a bit of Krypton factor type juggling though.

I'm not sure what's behind that part of the dash on yours, i know below it will be heater ducts to the vents.

Something that crossed my mind that would work nicely and give you more of a project to get your teeth into is to make your own custom pod in the style of the main instrument pod but designed to fit alongside. Some sheet aluminium covered in a thin layer of upholstery foam then black vinyl to make it feel right, either bring a flat black cable out from under the front and in behind the heater vents to go whereever the wires needed to go or a hole through the top of the dash with the pod sat over it.. Alternatively, make the front panel of the pod wrap under the top of the dash so it hides the cable coming out the front.

Just some ideas for your mull it over time!
Actually the pod idea might not look too bad, maybe something like this adapted to fit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-2-52m...EAAOSwIGxb4ddY

... or this one for twp instruments (oil pressure and volts):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-52mm-Ca....c100005.m1851
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 10:55   #1273
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

For only a 'score', your idea is certainly worthy of closer investigation, Alan, but 'L.S.' does make some very valid points, especially concerning reliability and accuracy. The gauges don't look that bad to me - certainly not what I would consider to be 'boy racer' - but I think I would try for original Volvo items if I was to seriously consider doing this.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 10:59   #1274
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
For only a 'score', your idea is certainly worthy of closer investigation, Alan, but 'L.S.' does make some very valid points, especially concerning reliability and accuracy. The gauges don't look that bad to me - certainly not what I would consider to be 'boy racer' - but I think I would try for original Volvo items if I was to seriously consider doing this.

Regards, John.
Thanks John,

As you know, I'm mulling this over. The Chinese gauges are sort of tempting in that they are so cheap they might be worth a try. I could quite easily test their accuracy (and maybe adjust with some series resistors if required) and if they prove unreliable then just replace (they all seem to be 2").

Alan
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 11:09   #1275
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Me being me, i'd use that as a "skeleton" and build a pod over that to mimic the shape of the original dashboard.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 11:44   #1276
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Me being me, i'd use that as a "skeleton" and build a pod over that to mimic the shape of the original dashboard.
Yes Dave, that was more or less my thinking - get it looking similar to Mr Volvo's idea.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 16:17   #1277
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes Dave, that was more or less my thinking - get it looking similar to Mr Volvo's idea.
That's what i was hoping! Must admit, i need to follow suit with the engine wiring loom in at least one area on mine - the oil pressure switch! The cable has deteriorated so the blub no longer lights when it should. Might leave it until i do the valve clearances though, might be able to see a bit more then!

I've found the cable for it, i just haven't found the switch itself!

The other thing i'm thinking of is a bespoke phone holder that looks like it was original factory fit - i also have lots of mulling over to do!

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 06:22   #1278
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That's what i was hoping! Must admit, i need to follow suit with the engine wiring loom in at least one area on mine - the oil pressure switch! The cable has deteriorated so the blub no longer lights when it should. Might leave it until i do the valve clearances though, might be able to see a bit more then!

I've found the cable for it, i just haven't found the switch itself!

The other thing i'm thinking of is a bespoke phone holder that looks like it was original factory fit - i also have lots of mulling over to do!
Good morn Dave,

If it is just the one electrical item that is playing up you could just run another wire, it wouldn't even have to follow the original path if that was inconvenient. With the RB most of that loom had problems with the insulation hardening and falling off, which I believe to be a very common fault that affects most pre-1985 cars.

That switch must be down there somewhere! - I'm guessing the engine bay of a 760 is a tad more congested than the 244 :-)

I was thinking of finding a cell phone holder just to cover up that little mark on the dash you may have noticed:

... I rather suspect it is as a result of the PO's cell phone holder. I could fill and paint it, but it would be easier to stick another phone holder over it (also it would be in a better place - I use one stuck on the windscreen at the moment - which is a tad too high.

Another option I thought of was installing a nice big SATNAV touchscreen like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-LCD-Tou...6f606fecebfd4f

... but in a neat pod that matched the instrument binnacle so it looked like it is supposed to go there - and routing the power wire through the hole in the dash under it.

Just a few ideas I'm kicking around - the large SATNAV one is favourite at the moment and would be quite useful.

What do you think?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 17th, 2020 at 07:52.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 10:35   #1279
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Volvo did make a three gauge pod for the top of the dash, they’re very rare though.

This page shows some photos

https://www.240turbo.com/dashgaugepod.html

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 11:09   #1280
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:

.Another option I thought of was installing a nice big SATNAV touchscreen like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-LCD-Tou...6f606fecebfd4f

... but in a neat pod that matched the instrument binnacle so it looked like it is supposed to go there - and routing the power wire through the hole in the dash under it.

Just a few ideas I'm kicking around - the large SATNAV one is favourite at the moment and would be quite useful.

What do you think?

Alan
While certainly useful, Alan, I don't think that, if I were you, I would do this in the R.B. Your car obviously pre-dates the 'built-in' sat-nav era, so any such installation would be both immediately and obviously clearly non-original - a state which you have said you are keen to preserve. The gauges are one thing, being original (optional) equipment - or a close approximation, should you use Chinese copies - but I personally do not feel that a built-in sat-nav would fit comfortably with the R.B.'s ethos. Just my opinion - but it's not my car!

Regards, John.