Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252t 2.5 tdi fuel pump

Views : 625

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2021, 15:19   #1
brickman
Premier Member

Default D5252t 2.5 tdi fuel pump

Anyone have a spare manual gearbox version fuel pump for an 850/x70?

Mine decided to seize after being sat for a few years, not sure its worth rebuilding it as its had a life!

Thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 16:18   #2
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

As far as I know the pumps aren't transmission specific.
They may be a difference between earlier stuff and the 99 and 2000 model years though.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 00:05   #3
brickman
Premier Member

I'm not sure they are on these electronic throttle versions, but on the older manual cable ones that you see on loads of other diesels from that time they are quite different inside.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:58   #4
rudi dudi

Internally the Bosh ve is relatively simple in its makeup.
Sprocket driving an internal piston as a simple explanation.
I know these very well ..hell I should do as at last count I had 10 tdi's.
Very very unusual for a pump to seize on these...Aircon compressor well that's another story.
So I presume car doesn't turn over or has snapped the pump belt?
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 18:35   #5
brickman
Premier Member

Not seized seized, but turning it by hand after 2 years tucked away in my workshop it feels a lot stiffer than before. Almost need a wrench to turn it over, barley possible by hand, can feel the injection spikes as a mechanical dry notch, and then onwards to the next one.

Engine with no injectors in turns nicely by socket, with injectors on, no aux belt, no fuel belt it makes 26 bar of compression across all cylinders (fresh rings, bottom end, cam and valve set).
With no aux and no fuel belt but injectors in it makes the right sounds and turns over fast and consistently on h the starter. Put the fuel belt on it and time it up and iys a different story, defo slower to turn over and gets slower after 30 seconds of turning as if something is heating up and seizing.

Will run but only with throttle attempts to idle but literally sound like it wants to rip its brand new belts apart. Rubber smoke coming off the cam belt. Water pump super happy, re did the tension on the cam belt (crank harmonic off and back on with yet another new bolt) and exact same so it's not over tightened on the cam belt.
Cam itself is new, checked on the bearings with no hydraulics on it, torqued down and tested would turn over like butter by hand with no determine end float (perfect).

So yeah, leaves the fuel pump which just doesn't feel right to me at all. Timed dozens of these and never had one feel as draggy as this one now.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 21:58   #6
rudi dudi

Thanks for the reply. You've clearly got a handle on it.
Nice to have a discussion with someone who understands these as most are clueless..
Even the so called forum mastertech doesn't have a clue in my opinion.Usual
Drivel regarding Volvo waterpumps lasting forever.. It's an Vw engine ffs with 4 rings and a Vw badge on it.. and yep Vw changed em with regularly.
So you know that a Dti is the only way with a Tdi then 😜.
Will check on the pumps (Manual vs Auto) fittment on some of mine if that helps.
Cheers

Last edited by rudi dudi; Aug 5th, 2021 at 22:06.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 11:48   #7
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I can confirm the TDi's are not transmission specific.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 12:25   #8
rudi dudi

Thanks for the conformation.That was my understanding of It aswell.
Think the early stuff vs 99/00 My may have a difference in the elecrrical side for the fly by wire throttle.
There were quite a few differences in the 99/00 models in general.
Srs,Fuel filter housing,Maf to name a few.
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 07:50   #9
brickman
Premier Member

Cheers guys, sent mine away for a rebuild, will be more than just seals, and needs to be calibrated properly tbh. Price not terrifying so long as they can do it and there isn't internal damage (scuffing to housing from whatever was causing it to be so stiff).
The 99/00 and p2 cars get weird so many odd things on them.

Waterpump is specced by volvo, so it's vw shaped but with a different type of bearing in it, prob would last forever if folk used exactly right coolant and kept changing it on time, but when does that every happen

Seen so many of these cars ruined by garage that don't know how to do cam/fuel belts and timing properly. Was a mint sub 100k example near me, twice I put a note on it saying I can do the belts if they need done, he got it done at a garage and low behold, smoke /knocking like crazy the last time I saw it, and now it's abandoned on his drive, inside and out is mouldy.
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 09:12   #10
rudi dudi

Agreed.. Except for the waterpump..Had one of mine from new and I had the privilege of doing its 1st ever set of belts along time ago in 2003 .
The original waterpump from the factory didn't have a single Volvo marking or part number stamped into it..
It did however have 4 rings and a Vag number on it along with INA and it's number.
So the original waterpump way back in the 90's was indeed manufactured by INA and Literally lifted out the Vag parts bin.