Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic Jolt engaging D or R

Views : 4828

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2022, 08:38   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons6930 View Post
The car supposedly has got a main dealer history right up until last year and looking at Volvo servicing, they apparently apply any update software during the service under their ‘promise’.

Now, weather they actually do it or not is a different matter or if that includes transmission software.
My 2015 XC60 had full main dealer service history when I bought it in October 2019 with Lloyd Carlisle. Yet it needed a TCM software update to cure the jolt… whether the dealer was skimping on the updates or there is a specific version only applied to cars with this issue - I don’t know - so I am open minded. But in any case it’s worth getting a dealer to check.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 08:47   #12
Tony Rama

There is a software fix for this. I had the same problem and Horton Cars did the update and adaption for considerably less than Volvo. They have a good reputation amongst the members here.

Horton Cars,
near Thame
HP18 9QQ

01844 239308
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 08:56   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Ok so I just put in drive, move forward a bit, stop, put it in N, leave for a couple of seconds and then put in reverse, move back a bit, stop, put in N, leave for a couple of seconds and repeat the process or just sit there with my foot on brake putting it in drive, and then back to neutral and then do the same for reverse?
I actually drove my car backwards and forwards for about 3 or 4 metres, so that is the advice I can give from experience. It may have been unnecessary and merely repeatedly moving the lever might have worked but I did as I was advised and can only advise the same.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 09:53   #14
jasons6930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rama View Post
There is a software fix for this. I had the same problem and Horton Cars did the update and adaption for considerably less than Volvo. They have a good reputation amongst the members here.

Horton Cars,
near Thame
HP18 9QQ

01844 239308
Thanks Tony, funnily enough, they did the trans flush and adaptations reset along with cambelt aux belt etc and were very reasonable indeed and would have no hesitation in recommending them. I had a 200 mile round trip for that but was well worth it!

Having said that, i am sure they would have applied the latest software for it, unless it is only available to main dealers?

Don't get me wrong, the car does drive much, much smoother than it did, and the N-D-R is better but still noticeable.

I did read somewhere that after the reset, it can take a few hundred miles for the gearbox to settle in to my driving style and for the fulid to properly clean(?) all the internals? I have noticed that the throttle is less responsive since the update so it sounds like i need to drive it WOT everywhere for it to go back to how it was.

I am considering a P* optimisation as a lot of people are very pleased with the results, and my local dealer has it on offer with a 14 day trial.

It was very busy when i went in to collect it so didn't really get an opportunity to chat so I'll give them a call this morning to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I actually drove my car backwards and forwards for about 3 or 4 metres, so that is the advice I can give from experience. It may have been unnecessary and merely repeatedly moving the lever might have worked but I did as I was advised and can only advise the same.
Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 09:57   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
When I did it last it was when the car was stationary and I was following a subsection of the guidance from VIDA as part of the adaptation process - however I guess that's really about performing an initial adaptation, which would be further refined as you use the car so it seems logical that doing it whilst driving back and fourth would further refine those adaptations.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 11:06   #16
jasons6930

Well I spoke to my local dealer and I have booked this Saturday for them to check to make sure all is up to date etc.

And I’ve gone for the polestar offer as well, especially as it’s on offer with a 14 day trial.

Whether it’s worth the money or not is a matter of opinion but with the chance of a trial I’ve got nothing much to lose at this stage!
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 15:46   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Well I spoke to my local dealer and I have booked this Saturday for them to check to make sure all is up to date etc.

And I’ve gone for the polestar offer as well, especially as it’s on offer with a 14 day trial.

Whether it’s worth the money or not is a matter of opinion but with the chance of a trial I’ve got nothing much to lose at this stage!
How much, if you don’t mind me asking?
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 17:20   #18
jasons6930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
How much, if you don’t mind me asking?

The best I could get them to was £595 with a 14day trial.

I asked him how many people had asked for their money back before the end of the trial and he said none.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 17:51   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I have that optimisation and it changes the car from a leisurely transport crate to a fast cruiser. I wouldn't give it up now that I can surprise BMWs!
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 22:39   #20
yostumpy

I’ve not had the p* treatment, but from what I gather , what you get , depends what you start with. ie if you start with 185 BHP then it’s a big WOW, but if you start with 220 BHP, then it’s a hmmm! Am I right?