Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange fuel pressure issue - help please

Views : 2373

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 21:43   #11
PNWBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfront View Post
Further symptoms persisted. On long runs keeping the tank filled to the brim almost completely solved the symptoms. Nevertheless with the analyser plugged in the fuel rail pressure could be seen to drop on right hand turns but not left. There was a corresponding increase in the main pump duty cycle (tapped into white and white & black wires on pump head).
Conclusion being that the swirl pot was not filling properly or staying filled - therefore either the no return valve was stuck open or the there was a blockage in supply from the ejector pump/venturi system.
With the tank brim full fuel was able to slop over into the pump pot.
Opened the tank yesterday and removed the pump.
Where the Venturi return pipe tuns at the bottom of the pump body it had been bent and kinked during installation and stayed kinked. The result was to very much restrict the flow of fuel from the ejector/venturi loop.
The kind of plastic used and the thinness of the walls of the pipe lend themselves perfectly to this anomaly. Once the pipe is kinked it tends to collapse and stay kinked.
We fixed an external stent in the form of a piece of (proper) petrol hose and clamped it distally with a jubilee clip.
All symptoms have no disappeared.
Presumably in the process of fitting the first replacement pump something similar happened and the pipe was kinked in the same or a different place.
Examining the piping closely and the process of fitting I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. Decent Bosch pumps too. And careful mechanic - no problems in twenty years.
I will attempt to attach a couple of pictures of the kinked pipe.
Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
Frank.

THANK YOU for solving this issue! I had the identical problem, and I've spent the last two years trying to figure it out. I replaced all of the stuff that you replaced, and more, and I could never figure out what the problem was. But you were right. I put a stint on the fuel pump tube and the problem is fixed. Thank you!
PNWBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duty cycle, fuel, plastic tank, pressure, pump