Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cabin fan on max all the time

Views : 452

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2018, 12:02   #1
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Default Cabin fan on max all the time

Hi all,

My cabin fan runs at full speed all the time and doesn't respond to the control nob. It also runs at full speed with the ignition off.

The fan fuse melted but somehow still stayed connected and didn't cut the power as it should have.

Tried putting in a replacement fuse but the went started running at full power again and because of the current draw as I inserted the fuse it sparked and damaged one of the fuse pins/legs.

Windows updated on my laptop and broke my VIDA so currently cannon run a VIDA scan. Slowly removing updates to fix try and fix that.

The cabin fan had been replaced with a 2nd hand unit and a new pattern part resistor in the summer.
Also I replaced the cabin air filter a few days before this problem started.
The car originally came with a standard white filter which I replaced with an OEM carbon filter when I bought the car in January. I put another replacement OEM carbon filter in a few days ago.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
BlueRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 21:11   #2
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Bump....
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 22:45   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

Full speed fan is almost always the resistor pack. Has the car got normal manual ventilation or the fancy climate control thing?
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 22:56   #4
BlueRubber
VOC Member

That is annoying, sounds like I need to buy an OEM resistor rather than a clone/pattern one from ebay then?

It has the standard climate control.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 20:54   #5
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Update:

Got my local garage to replace the resistor and the fan wouldn't turn on at all.
They checked and power was getting to the plug for the fan and the fan would work from a 12v battery.
They apart the center console, still no luck, put it all back together again and it started working.
Weird.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 23:07   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

More often than is reasonable, taking things apart and reassembling fixes them by magic.
Keep a weather eye on it. Nature always sides with hidden flaws.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: