Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83203

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2018, 14:43   #391
Army
marches on his stomach

Default One of those days today...

...I managed to get the car back on its side again - hopefully this will be the last time.

I plan to spray the roof and finish off the last bits of the underside (the RH sill in particular)

I reckon spraying the roof in a section - even though you might end up with trouble and strife blending the joins on A and the C pillars - is going to give me the best chance possible of doing a good job instead of balancing on top of step ladders and spraying at an angle,

On a day like today where **** ups abound I'd rather make spraying as easy for myself as possible.

Biggest **** up today was misreading the instructions for some filler which is part of the epoxy system I'm using: The mixing ratio was not by volume - it was by weight - so the filler was just like cream cheese after an hour...

...whata mistaka ta maka...

...oh well all wiped off now with copious amounts of paper towel and epoxy thinner. Now I'm waiting till tomorrow just in case the epoxy paint has been effected by the thinner. Delays delays.

####

In other news I've gone and bought a new thermometer for the painting - I need to keep an eye on the humidity and the temperature now we're nearly in September. This summer has been amazing but as it draws to an end the perils of living in Northern Europe need to be addressed (!)

I'm not quite sure what "defend hot" or "defend cold" is - so if someone can advise that'll be great...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 16:26   #392
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Calling all nautical types

I've just ordered this bilge paint to apply to the transmission tunnel part of the underside of the PV

https://international-yachtpaint.com...shes/danboline

I got the cleaner to go with it too,

I was wondering if anyone here had used it in anger before. I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be a good alternative to all of that underseal that's bee slapped all over the place.

Opinions?
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 17:40   #393
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
I've just ordered this bilge paint to apply to the transmission tunnel part of the underside of the PV

https://international-yachtpaint.com...shes/danboline

I got the cleaner to go with it too,

I was wondering if anyone here had used it in anger before. I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be a good alternative to all of that underseal that's bee slapped all over the place.

Opinions?
I've heard on a different forum that Danboline is a bit fussy in oily environments! I'm a bit surprised to hear this seeing as it is bilge paint. This might not be a good idea after all...

...to be continued.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 10:59   #394
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Recent ponderings

Colour for this car has been a problem for me from the beginning.

Part of the problem I think is that I don't like the look of the front of the car.

It has taken me a bit of time to figure out exactly what the problem is: I ended up comparing similar styles / designs and I now reckon the reason why I prefer the look of the front of a Morris Minor =>

Is because it is more rounded.

{Pictures nabbed from wikipedia}

I think that's why people break up the front of the PV by adding spot lights and US style bumpers. Anyway (off on a tangent as usual), because I don't like the front of the PV the whole colour problem has been a difficult one to resolve.

I decided that the original colour - 72 Fawn Brown is better than the dodgy red it used to be - but it is one heck of a dull colour. It is too samey - it seems like most PVs are red and when they're not they're more often than not some sort of browny colour.

So - to cut a long story short - I'm going along with dull and drab but with a twist and experimenting with a bare metal look for the outside. The inside of the car is going to be in the original colour no matter what happens (I need to crack on with something and stop messing about) but the outside might be going a little bit custom.

After a bit of searching about I found a French company called Stardustcolors that does loads of different custom paints. Amongst their product range is a product called Cellcover. This is especially made to go directly onto bare metal. (In particular steel - which is harder to find a solution for - aluminium is easy even Mipa sell stuff for that but a solution for steel is harder to find in Europe)

So a bought a load of special for steel clear coat and gave it a go =>

I'm impressed with the results so far - but it is too shiny - I need a matte finish. I'm in the process of figuring out how that can be safely achieved...

...to be continued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 celcover test1.jpg (174.9 KB, 108 views)
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 15:46   #395
Army
marches on his stomach

In the mean time I'm still plugging away with the epoxy.

(The only way I can express how tedious this has been is to keep on posting up the pictures - that blinking bitumin based paint has been a pain - takes ages to clean good for paint)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 more epoxy1.jpg (170.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 more epoxy2.JPG (97.9 KB, 103 views)
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 17:05   #396
Army
marches on his stomach

Default One of the many little jobs that I've forgotten about

I've been meaning to do this for ages. I got the replacement parts from VP ages ago:

I didn't fancy trying to remove the front door glass from their holders a la workshop manual - I opted to cut them free =>

Just as well they were nicely rusted into place

To try and slow the inevitable return to the rusted state I'm painting the new parts...

Self etch primer needed first this time to make sure the paint sticks to the yellow cad (?) electroplating

Old Sep 7th, 2018, 17:05   #397
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Nothing much new is happening...

...more of the same...

...this might be the last of the red though =>

I think it is the last of the outside red anyway.

Nearly got the car ready to tip back the right way up for the last time too.

But like I say there isn't much new stuff to show just yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 last of the red1.JPG (177.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 last of the red2.JPG (211.5 KB, 79 views)
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 17:05   #398
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Effort is in the preparation...

...finally got to a stage where the front half of the inside floor has had the first coat of epoxy.

I had originally put some Hamerite No1 rust beater on the floors but ended up needing to remove most of it and recover with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator because it is meant to be compatible with epoxy primers. We'll see.

Tomorrow I'll sand to make sure it has stuck

I also finally got the corner reinforcing bits for the holes that were made for the seat belts fitted - incredible eh? (After all this time!)

I'm hoping that the preparation will finally come to an end so I can get back a feeling of progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 front half interior also in epoxy.JPG (109.5 KB, 73 views)
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 09:51   #399
norustplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Colour for this car has been a problem for me from the beginning.

Part of the problem I think is that I don't like the look of the front of the car.

It has taken me a bit of time to figure out exactly what the problem is: I ended up comparing similar styles / designs and I now reckon the reason why I prefer the look of the front of a Morris Minor =>

Is because it is more rounded.

{Pictures nabbed from wikipedia}

I think that's why people break up the front of the PV by adding spot lights and US style bumpers. Anyway (off on a tangent as usual), because I don't like the front of the PV the whole colour problem has been a difficult one to resolve.

I decided that the original colour - 72 Fawn Brown is better than the dodgy red it used to be - but it is one heck of a dull colour. It is too samey - it seems like most PVs are red and when they're not they're more often than not some sort of browny colour.

So - to cut a long story short - I'm going along with dull and drab but with a twist and experimenting with a bare metal look for the outside. The inside of the car is going to be in the original colour no matter what happens (I need to crack on with something and stop messing about) but the outside might be going a little bit custom.

After a bit of searching about I found a French company called Stardustcolors that does loads of different custom paints. Amongst their product range is a product called Cellcover. This is especially made to go directly onto bare metal. (In particular steel - which is harder to find a solution for - aluminium is easy even Mipa sell stuff for that but a solution for steel is harder to find in Europe)

So a bought a load of special for steel clear coat and gave it a go =>

I'm impressed with the results so far - but it is too shiny - I need a matte finish. I'm in the process of figuring out how that can be safely achieved...

...to be continued.
You must be joking.....!!!! Volvo's come in white, greens, blues, greys and black as well as beige and red. Lacqered bare metal.....yukk. plus, a couple of stone chips and you'll have real rat look!
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 15:59   #400
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
You must be joking.....!!!! Volvo's come in white, greens, blues, greys and black as well as beige and red. Lacqered bare metal.....yukk. plus, a couple of stone chips and you'll have real rat look!
Hopefully the expensive clear coat will be protection enough - we shall see.

The bare metal look is growing on me - I'm sorry to have to report! I think it is going to look delightfully dreadful...

^^^^^^

That's the roof coated in Cellcover

I've got some Car System matt clear coat on order that should hopefully be here soon - that will be the outer layer of protection.

The underside of the sills and the wheel arches will be in the original colour so if the clear coat doesn't work out I'll have less work to do putting it back to original.