Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 & Roadhawk DC 2 Dash Cam

Views : 3438

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2018, 22:09   #1
AJC30

Default XC60 & Roadhawk DC 2 Dash Cam

I had a Roadhawk DC 2 dash cam fitted (hard wired) to my 2017 XC60 on Monday at a main dealer the model does not have a monitor so its a case of removing SD card and playing through a laptop to view, the quality is first class but 20% of the view is obscured by the housing behind the rearview mirror Ive tried every adjustment on the mount without success to give me a full screen view but it looks like it will need the mount taking of the screen and lowering my worry is that it may then be in my eyeline. I will be visiting the dealer in the next few days to see if thats the way forward i don't want to risk any damage to the dash getting the adhesive of the screen myself.
As its the Volvo endorsed Dash Cam I would have thought that there would be a prescriptive measurement for positioning the mount on each model of Volvo that has one fitted but the dealer is not aware of any such dimensions.
Anybody had one fitted to their XC60 with success who could pass on the measurement for the mount it would be a great help.
AJC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 00:39   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Stick it to the screen to the passenger side of the Intellisafe housing, at the very top, where it will peep through a wiper-swept area and will be invisible to the driver and very discreet from everywhere.

This isn’t exactly a discreet camera though. Wouldn’t you have been better advised to get their Vision Super HD model which has wi-fi, is smaller and cheaper?

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 15th, 2018 at 00:44.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 08:11   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Hold on though. Just realised that this is the wrong forum for your car.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 09:37   #4
Boatie
Master Member

Regardless of what make of camera a dashcam, front and rear, is highly desirable. After a lot of thought (would it affect the Ladar??) several months ago I fitted a hard wired Thinkware F770.

On Monday White Van Man ran into the back of me whilst I was stationary at a roundabout. Whilst trying to exchange details the van driver decided to jump in his vehicle and take off. The sheer 'luxury' of having irrefutable evidence of events made the £250 cost and effort to fit seem like peanuts. What will happen now is in the hands of the insurance company and the police.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 10:21   #5
asustech

Smile Roadhawk

I also have a road hawk dash cam fitted by volvo and they positioned it top left corner of the windscreen passenher side and I get full view of the road , no obstructions. They advised that position as so it did not interfere with the radar stuff.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 10:41   #6
AJC30

Thanks Quacker that’s pretty much where it is fitted I would have gone for a different cam but went with the dealer advice that this model is the one endorsed by Volvo they supplied and fit for £240 I’m going back to them today to see if they can make it fit for purpose as anything driver side is pretty much obscured. My Xc60 is one of the last model registered Sept 17 does that put me in the wrong forum ? I don’t think dash cams can be fitted to the latest xc60 with touch screen due to conflict with safety features (says the dealer).
I really didn’t want a cam in the first place put went that way because of hearing of incidents like the white van mans rear ending then doing a runner I’m now thinking rear view too anything to make life easier if the worst happens.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 10:53   #7
AJC30

Asustech that’s just what I wanted to hear it means Volvo don’t have a definitive method or position to fit cams, so the easy fix is to move it to the same position as yours I was told it had to be fitted central close to the radar pod as this allows full movement of the sunvisor but would not effect the radar/citysafe etc.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 17:49   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asustech View Post
I also have a road hawk dash cam fitted by volvo and they positioned it top left corner of the windscreen passenher side and I get full view of the road , no obstructions. They advised that position as so it did not interfere with the radar stuff.
Surely that is an unswept area so will obstruct the view from the camera?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 20:42   #9
AJC30

Thanks for the the replies guys I didn't go to the dealer that fitted the cam as they didn't have a spare sticky pad if they needed to move the mount and would need to order one for next week !!
I went to my local dealer instead he couldn't have been more helpful took a bit of time got it sussed, now placed at the top of the screen 3inches to the left of the pod behind the mirror...... perfect ! ..... does not obstruct sun visor and a full view of the road when the footage was reviewed. 15mins to sort it out including removing the mount cleaning the adhesive off refitting with a new pad and setting the cam up all with no charge. I'm well pleased.
Thanks again for your advice
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 07:33   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC30 View Post
Thanks Quacker that’s pretty much where it is fitted I would have gone for a different cam but went with the dealer advice that this model is the one endorsed by Volvo they supplied and fit for £240 I’m going back to them today to see if they can make it fit for purpose as anything driver side is pretty much obscured. My Xc60 is one of the last model registered Sept 17 does that put me in the wrong forum ? I don’t think dash cams can be fitted to the latest xc60 with touch screen due to conflict with safety features (says the dealer).
I really didn’t want a cam in the first place put went that way because of hearing of incidents like the white van mans rear ending then doing a runner I’m now thinking rear view too anything to make life easier if the worst happens.
I can assure you that dashcams can be fitted to the latest models with no problem. Sounds like your dealer will say anything that suits their purpose whether accurate and true or not.
I fitted a rear dashcam to my XC90 in about ten minutes the other week. It is discreet but since I don’t have privacy glass, not invisible. I used the DDPai mini2 model and it works perfectly for well under £100. I’ve a similar Goluk unit at the front. The Goluk has the better app, but there’s not much in it.

I fitted a complete front and back wire-linked combination set on my Qashqai a month or two ago that is even more discreet. Unfortunately that set has no Wi-fi or app, so the card has to be removed for viewing and downloading clips. It was cheap though. Techmoan on YouTube did a mainly positive review on it and it promptly went up in price then sold out. https://youtu.be/DGXiXz6QXQ4
This took about an hour to fit, because it was my first time to run a wire front to back and the wire is thick, but was easy once I planned a route at the top, and completely invisible.

Ddpai https://youtu.be/OqPSs_fkLnw To fit this at the back you just stick it to the rear screen in an area at the top centre where the wiper sweeps and tidily run a wire up to the top, bridge the hatch gap and tuck it discreetly behind the seal as much as possible, then cross the seal near to or at the bottom and into the boot to the car’s auxiliary power socket. If you run a fridge or something from that socket, best to hard wire the cam using a hard wire kit, which costs approx £10
The ddpai has a mirror-image recording facility for rear recording if you prefer it that way.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 16th, 2018 at 07:39.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote