Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to buy your basic tool kit

Views : 10598

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 18:16   #21
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I also find a couple of good inspection lamps are a useful aid when working in the garage.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 18:40   #22
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Interesting the thoughts on ratchets - the silver one in the photo is a Snap On look alike - bought from the market for under a tenner. First thing was to open it up and fill with grease - there was none in it. Since then it has been in daily use by son Matt and subject to having extension pipe put on the handle (a big no no) and used as a hammer. Still going strong! I have quite a lot of fairly cheap spanners that get used a lot of the time. I also have the back up of some good quality ones but these are reserved for any job where it looks like there is a problem to get it undone. One way or another a certain number of my spanners regularly go missing and I can't afford to loose good quality ones. I started off with relatively cheap ones from the market stall which I still use and built upper with better quality tools where the need arose. I feel that for basic maintenance it is not necessary to spend a lot on tools - I would regard Halford Professional as the goal for the best quality you would need but quite happy to work with something a lot cheaper initially especially if only intending do some of the more basic servicing and maintenance.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions - very useful!

Mike

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 23:51   #23
Richard C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
I started off with relatively cheap ones from the market stall which I still use and built upper with better quality tools where the need arose.
Thanks for all the input and suggestions - very useful!

Mike
One thing that I would add is to try and by "wall-drive" type sockets or spanners. Both of the sockets in your hand in the photo appear to be wall drive varieties Mike. Machine Mart do a whole range of wall drive sockets and Sealey do a range of wall drive spanners - all very reasonably priced. I would also advise on getting rachets with as many teeth as possible. 72 tooth rachets allow a much finer degree of turn than 30 or 43 tooth rachets. Machine Mart have started doing 72 tooth rachets for around £10 in the traditional polished chrome-vanadium and black polycarbonate (looks real sexy - lol)
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 00:29   #24
RealEstate
Master Member

Default Torque Wrenches

Quote:
With a view to start at the beginning and for the benefit of the person who wants to either start or do more of their own maintenace on their Volvo it seemed logical to start with the essential of running through what basic tools you need.

Mike
Mike,
Many thanks for a v useful post. You didn't mention torque wrenches? In view of the number of posts on warped brake rotors etc from overtorqued wheel bolts, have you any recommendations?
cheers,
Ben
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 00:33   #25
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstate View Post
Mike,
Many thanks for a v useful post. You didn't mention torque wrenches? In view of the number of posts on warped brake rotors etc from overtorqued wheel bolts, have you any recommendations?
cheers,
Ben
Yes, I'd be interested to know of some good recomendations on this.

I suspect that 2 maybe required... One for smaller/sensitive jobs and a bigger one for easy access or higher torque bolts..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:50   #26
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I still use my Britool torque wrench which was mega expensive when it was bought. Saw this Torque Wrench on the Machine Mart web site which would be a very good DIY one.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...que-wrenches-2
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:27   #27
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I hadn't included a lot of tools including torque wrenches in the list of basic tools - I know I managed withiout one for a lot of work and managed to burrow one when needed. This is something I did quite often - I did his with spring compressors for example. When I found I was burrowing things on a too frequent basis I went out and bought it.
With regards torque wrenches ideally, as said, two can be needed. The main one would be a 1/2" drive and will do most jobs but for low torques a 3/8" one is needed. Only go for a click one - some used to have a needle pointing to the torque - I don't know whether they are still made but avoid. To a large extent like with many things the more you spend the better the quality is likely to be. There was a review on torque wrenches in Practiacl Classics that could be worth looking at. Matt uses a Snap On one and has it calibrated regularly at a cost of £50 a time - essential when being used professionally but for our purposes not essential.

Mike

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:19   #28
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Just had a brose through Tooled-up.com and was lost for selection!!!

Any idea as to what range the small one should cover and best range for the biggie..

Diamond, Mike..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 13:18   #29
the_traveller
Master Member

Cant beat a bit of WD-40!

A bit off topic, but this morning i found 3 sockets, 2 10mm, 1 13mm, a 13 mm spanner and 3 bolts down in my engine bay, bit worring what people leave in there.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 13:18   #30
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Only go for a click one - some used to have a needle pointing to the torque - I don't know whether they are still made but avoid. .................. Matt uses a Snap On one and has it calibrated regularly at a cost of £50 a time - essential when being used professionally but for our purposes not essential.
Mike
I've always kept a pointer gauge one in my toolbag - recalibrate by centering the pointer on the scale (cost - FOC), works fine for wheelnuts and general use. Ideal for occasional service and doesn't have to be de-tensioned when stored.

In fact the scale marker on it did come off when the glue failed (after about 30 years) but I managed to repair it with 3M spray on adhesive.