Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Old XC90 crash worthiness

Views : 1078

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 21:09   #11
xc90driver2

Sorry i double posted folks...

Last edited by xc90driver2; Aug 1st, 2019 at 21:12.
xc90driver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 22:19   #12
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90driver2 View Post
Some very interesting posts there, thanks to all that contributed.

From looking at the underlying structure of the xc90, it would seem that bumper or crash barrier height would be crucial, since a higher SUV could override lower crash defences and effectivly override the lower crash barrier which could push the engine into the cabin.

Thats probably a very simplistic observation but would be interesting to see the outcome. Pity NCAP cannot demonstate real life crashes!
Not necessarily, I think. Leaving all the other factors aside, I would asume, that nearly all SUVs would have the same height for the barriers in the front. Just because the normal test would be against a car, not another SUV.

But there are so many other factors, it would be nearly impossible, to give an estimate about the outcome.

I think, we have an advantage against nearly all other SUVs. We have a transversely mounted engine that should work like a second barrier.

Looking at the moderate impact crash test, I do believe in a very good chance for all passengers in a XC90. And this test is the typical accident between cars.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 23:59   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Back to the OP.... now the new model XC90's are 4-5 years old, good late examples of the Mk 1 model are much more affordable.

In that price range, whether a 2003 or 2013 model - I don't think there is any safer car on the road. And as has been mentioned - this is evident in the zero fatality statistics.

Part of this is the Mk 1 XC90 was one of the first cars with modern technology to prevent accidents which is the standard today - yaw sensors and ESP etc.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 14:19   #14
xc90driver2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Back to the OP.... now the new model XC90's are 4-5 years old, good late examples of the Mk 1 model are much more affordable.

In that price range, whether a 2003 or 2013 model - I don't think there is any safer car on the road. And as has been mentioned - this is evident in the zero fatality statistics.

Part of this is the Mk 1 XC90 was one of the first cars with modern technology to prevent accidents which is the standard today - yaw sensors and ESP etc.

Bang for buck safety was pretty much the reason for buying the 2007 xc 90 at the time. I was looking for the safest car in my budget of 5k. I had it down to two options.

1. Mark 1 Vovlo XC90
2. Mark 1 VW Touareg

The Touareg was higher, heavier and had a slightly better moderate overlap result that the Xc90 . it nearly had me convinced.....

BUT

What swung it for me was the quite remarkable performance in the "small overlap test" of the mark 1 xc90 seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPL0Vi_8fiI

Incidentally, they did not perform that same small overlap test on the mark 1 Touareg but I would guess that it would not have got a "good" rating as the XC90 did.

Conclusion

The small overlap test was invented by IIHS well before the mark 1 xc90 was designed, which led me to the conclusion that Volvo had it factored this into its design despite not having to be formally tested for the world to see!

Kudos to them!
xc90driver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xc90driver2 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 15:35   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90driver2 View Post
Bang for buck safety was pretty much the reason for buying the 2007 xc 90 at the time. I was looking for the safest car in my budget of 5k. I had it down to two options.

1. Mark 1 Vovlo XC90
2. Mark 1 VW Touareg

The Touareg was higher, heavier and had a slightly better moderate overlap result that the Xc90 . it nearly had me convinced.....

BUT

What swung it for me was the quite remarkable performance in the "small overlap test" of the mark 1 xc90 seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPL0Vi_8fiI

Incidentally, they did not perform that same small overlap test on the mark 1 Touareg but I would guess that it would not have got a "good" rating as the XC90 did.

Conclusion

The small overlap test was invented by IIHS well before the mark 1 xc90 was designed, which led me to the conclusion that Volvo had it factored this into its design despite not having to be formally tested for the world to see!

Kudos to them!
the XC90 body underpinnings are basically the S80 launched in 1998 and therefore designed and developed in the early 1990's when they finished designing the 850 ....
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 16:57   #16
Dastardly Diesel

That's not the whole story. They haven't physically taken the S80 floor pan and then messed it about to create the design. What actually happened is the XC90 shares key dimensions, so certain points are in the same position relative to each other in 3D space, such as suspension pick up points, door hinges etc. This vastly simplifies production but does not mean there is much physical resemblance between the two. Structurally they are quite different.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 18:38   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
That's not the whole story. They haven't physically taken the S80 floor pan and then messed it about to create the design. What actually happened is the XC90 shares key dimensions, so certain points are in the same position relative to each other in 3D space, such as suspension pick up points, door hinges etc. This vastly simplifies production but does not mean there is much physical resemblance between the two. Structurally they are quite different.

I think what Clan meant was the S80 was the first vehicle to be launched based on what we now call the P2 platform which subsequently included the XC90, V70 & S60. The latter models are not variations on the S80, the platform was created with all in mind, it's just that the S80 was the first model to be launched.

As you say though clearly designed to be made alongside each other down the same production lines.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 22:13   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Its the S80 patform and sub structure with additions , you can see the pieces which have been added on to make it taller easily around the front end and around of the base of the windscreen inside too with the dash out .
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 10:47   #19
05XC90

Quote:
Probably very well. No occupant of an XC90 has ever died in a vehicle-on-vehicle collision in the UK.
Really???
Safety was a big part of us buying one, that and they seemed to be the only one with a boot when the rear seats are up. I looked at a SanteFe7 and there was no comparison!
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:06   #20
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05XC90 View Post
Really???
Safety was a big part of us buying one, that and they seemed to be the only one with a boot when the rear seats are up. I looked at a SanteFe7 and there was no comparison!
It’s correct yes. No vehicle to vehicle fatalities. It’s one of the main reasons I chose it.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote