Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do I legally stand?

Views : 3443

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:50   #11
Jimmy90

Recon appears to be around £200 /£300 +vat. He said he'd have to charge around 500+vat for fitting. A local form in Gray's quoted £500+vat all fitted and flushed etc.

To me, he's supplied a vehicle that could potentially be dangerous so he should correct the issue? Cars only done 65k and I've not done 400miles since buying it. I'm going to try citizens advice bureau as I'm lacking in knowledge of civil matters
Jimmy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 14:32   #12
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy90 View Post
Recon appears to be around £200 /£300 +vat. He said he'd have to charge around 500+vat for fitting. A local form in Gray's quoted £500+vat all fitted and flushed etc.

To me, he's supplied a vehicle that could potentially be dangerous so he should correct the issue? Cars only done 65k and I've not done 400miles since buying it. I'm going to try citizens advice bureau as I'm lacking in knowledge of civil matters
Hello Jim, Are you you by any chance a member of 'Which'? they have a good legal advice dpt. also do 'template' letters/forms. They usually do a 'taster' type months trial for a pound! only, worth a try? they certainly have the expertise to advise you.
PS.did the dealer do the current MOT in house? if so,let Which know,if talking to them.
Good luck! Regards,Keith.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 16:01   #13
05XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy90 View Post

I'm no expert but a steering rack going at 65k seems excessive, I'm assuming it's a new enough XC90 is the mileage is so low and I'm sure you've shelled out a lot of cash on it in that case (as in somewhere around the £10k mark depending on year)
The £600 for fitting seems a lot too, his hourly rate must be really high, is it a Volvo dealer or just a used car place? Was the other place charging £500+vat for supplying and fitting the rack?

Personally if I had spent that on a car and the steering rack was away within days I'd want it sorted or demand my £ back. Did the MOT in June show wear on the rack as an advisory?

I think citizens advice is the way to go as they'll make you aware of all your legal rights and have you in a better position for going back to him.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted dude
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 16:04   #14
Jimmy90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Hello Jim, Are you you by any chance a member of 'Which'? they have a good legal advice dpt. also do 'template' letters/forms. They usually do a 'taster' type months trial for a pound! only, worth a try? they certainly have the expertise to advise you.
PS.did the dealer do the current MOT in house? if so,let Which know,if talking to them.
Good luck! Regards,Keith.

I'll take a look at which, good suggestion thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 16:27   #15
Jimmy90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05XC90 View Post
I'm no expert but a steering rack going at 65k seems excessive, I'm assuming it's a new enough XC90 is the mileage is so low and I'm sure you've shelled out a lot of cash on it in that case (as in somewhere around the £10k mark depending on year)
The £600 for fitting seems a lot too, his hourly rate must be really high, is it a Volvo dealer or just a used car place? Was the other place charging £500+vat for supplying and fitting the rack?

Personally if I had spent that on a car and the steering rack was away within days I'd want it sorted or demand my £ back. Did the MOT in June show wear on the rack as an advisory?

I think citizens advice is the way to go as they'll make you aware of all your legal rights and have you in a better position for going back to him.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted dude
It's a 2010 with 65k on clock. Car has full service (not main dealer but local garages). Dealer was a small company with 30 odd mid range cars. I paid over 10k.

He's received my email and is "considering his response"!

I'm not unreasonable and would pay towards but with a 3month old and 2 other kids I just can't foot the bill.

The £500+ vat was to strip the old recon and reinstall then flush system and offers 1 year warranty. They only do power steering. I fear if his garage do the work they'll fumble their way through whilst charging a premium.

I'll try and get to CAB on Monday for legal advice. I'd rather not get money back as already spent over £300 on a few bits for the car and it ticks all my boxes....apart from the fact I can't drive it.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 18:59   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

To be clear, is the steering rack which you said was on its way out now unserviceable such that the car is dangerous and cannot be driven? If that's the case then the dealer is obligated to resolve it, no question. You should not be having to contribute, but of course the dealer can fit recon. parts at their discretion, including non OE items, provided they are serviceable.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 21:04   #17
Jimmy90

I'm not happy driving it but it can be driven. Just takes care till warm. I'm no expert though, surely could get worse at any minute whilst driving? Going to see family 100miles away next week and considering taking the other Half's 2015 V40 and squeezing the three kids plus 2 car seats in as worried about taking the 90.

I'm still waiting on a reply to my email to the dealer. He's "considering his response" so I'm calling cab on Monday as all branches have shut down locally
It's stressing me out to be honest. I've enough on my plate without this
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 23:01   #18
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Have you had an inspection from another garage? Seems an obvious next step - perhaps even stick it through another MOT at your Local Authority test centre to the same effect.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 08:30   #19
Odysseus

While I know it’s a complete pain, keeping the option of completely rejecting the car on the table should focus minds on a positive outcome.

Could you buy a <£1000 banger in the interim to stay mobile while you get this legally sorted?

Remember you may also have access to free legal advice via your home insurance or car insurance depending on the policy, and if not a quick chat with a solicitor to get sensible legally based advice is probably only a hundred quid or so, which in the grand scheme of things is well worth it.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 21:33   #20
Jimmy90

I've not put it through an MOT centre but had one look at it confirmed it's faulty but would make it through an MOT.

The garage I got it from emailed back today to say the car in their opinion isn't unsafe so they won't pay more than the 30%+vat.

Calling CAB in the morning see what they say.