Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Transmission warning light

Views : 309

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2019, 17:06   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default Auto Transmission warning light

Hi I have a 1995 850 T5 20 Valve CD with 158,00 miles on clock. It has been off the road for about 6-7 years, although I do start it now & then. Recently I decided to get oit back on the road, as my everyday runabout 850 10 valve is beginning to show signs of stress.
So I started it up second turn of the key with new fuel & moved it around the drive a few times, everything seemed fine. The only warning light that came on was the low coolant level one, which styed on even afet I had topped it up.
So I didn't do anything with the car for a couple of days, but when I started it up the next time, the auto transmission warning arrow was flashing and would not go off. I have checked the fluid level & its ok. It drives ok & gears are changed. Any ideasa what could be causing the light to stay on?
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 21:13   #2
ovlov236

Default gearbox warning light

sounds like its the pnp switch quick fix temp though is cycle the gearbox shifter about 20 times through all the gears that should fix it for a while but you really need to read the computer obd codes to find the fault code
ovlov236 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov236 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 01:15   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov236 View Post
sounds like its the pnp switch quick fix temp though is cycle the gearbox shifter about 20 times through all the gears that should fix it for a while but you really need to read the computer obd codes to find the fault code
What he said! ^^^^^^^

Once done, reset the fault codes and then see what happens after. Any fault codes that come up now may well be as a result of its prolonged lay up and may well disappear with use - for example the low coolant level, no doubt oxidisation on the contacts which should self-clean.

Don't forget to renew the timing/cam belt before regualr use and if the water pump is driven off the timing belt on that engine, that as well.

Should really renew the brake fluid, coolant and engine oil/filter and gearbox fluid too before regular use, just to be on the safe side, may have forgotten one or two things but no doubt others will chime in with their recommendations too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote