Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AAAGH! Car won't start. PNP switch?

Views : 988

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2013, 16:07   #1
thetroublemaker

Default AAAGH! Car won't start. PNP switch?

Hi -

Help! My V70 TDI has decided to stop starting as it were.

The symptoms are as of this morning the car didnt start first time - it started, stalled then wouldnt start for about 10 seconds. I left it then retried - fine.

I then drove the car for about 10 miles today and when i went to restart it wouldnt start. Again left for 5 mins it started. So drove home, getting a fuel filter on the way, and left it running with the better half in the car.

got back home, changed the fuel filter it started first time run for about 15 seconds then as soon as i touched the transmission it stalled. Also it wouldnt then even pressing the shiftlock bypass button down come out of park very odd.

The car was driving when it started perfectly with full gearbox function.

Now it wont start and the orange arrow i note is on while i crank the car. Does this sound like a faulty PNP switch?

HELP!!!!
Old May 4th, 2013, 18:26   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Sounds like possible PNP switch to me - try running the gearlever rapidly back and forth through the gears (engine off) to see if it clears it. If it does, then that's the problem and it'll need dismantling to clean/sort properly.

Just a thought!

Cheers
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:26   #3
TurboZutek
Premier Member

The PNP switch will disable the starter while the car is in anything but P or N. If the car cranks at all it's unlikely to be the PNP switch causing your engine problems.

The PNP could certainly have an issue (hence the orange arrow) and checking the codes will help in that regard, but it won't make a running car stop and shouldn't contribute to erratic engine conditions.

Chris...
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:09   #4
thetroublemaker

Cheers - I think we had a "false negative" result there as I had some air in the diesel when restarting.

So my thoughts now are either Air in Diesel getting in through one of the underbonnet fuel hoses, or fuel pump belt timing has moved/slipped.
Old May 6th, 2013, 22:29   #5
thetroublemaker

bit of an update -

The filter change was a false negative as the air was in the system. I got all the air out the car finally by means of filling the filter fully by undoing the bleed screw and filling it with diesel via a small funnel. So it may well have been the filter that needed changing all along.

this improved things - i.e. it was starting first time - also at the same time I had read some things about the "fuel pump relay" which is apparantly a potential issue on these - although I feel actually this may be referring to the red relay that goes on the petrol models - the TDI not having a lift pump.

anyhoo - I looked under the "main fuses" box and swapped the "Glow Plug" and "Main Engine Control" blue relays over and the engine seems to instantly be starting better. This may be a placebo or it may mean my relay was a bit weak. Either way i will keep an eye on things.