Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoring my P1800E

Views : 23975

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2011, 23:47   #151
irishcarfan
Master Member

Just read through all 15 pages, as you do on a Saturday night. Very enjoyable, and as others said inspirational too! Well done!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 20:03   #152
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Uploaded a few more pics of the progress around the windscreen aperture and A pillar. I had a couple of issues today, first being there was a brazed section on a join in the A pillar and I needed to weld this area and the tig doesn't like braze. I ground it out best I could then welded with the mig, ground it again and welded over with the tig. It was a bit of a pain but I got there in the end. The second issue I had was due to a mistake I made, the last attached pic shows me holding a repair piece I made but this was the second attempt. The first attempt I had completed and I then only had to trim it to size and I stupidly cut off the wrong edge so I had to start again. It may not look like much but it's actually curved in two planes and has an approximately 70 degree bend so it took a wee while to get spot on, anyway second attempt has been finished and I've started to cut out the old metal for the new repair to be welded in. There is still quite a bit of work left in this area but it is slowly coming along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2079.jpg (160.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2085.jpg (219.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2082.jpg (171.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2083.jpg (176.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (390.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (322.5 KB, 45 views)
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 14:35   #153
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I've got a killer cold so tried to go work on the car today but only lasted a couple of hours of doing not very much before coming home. Hey ho, tacked the repair piece in position and will tig it fully this week. I could weld it with the mig and get a quite neat result but I fancy a bit of tig practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0028.jpg (317.6 KB, 35 views)
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 19:06   #154
john h
VOC Member

Get well soon!!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:44   #155
Daemon2

Hope you're still out there...
Daemon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:27   #156
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Yeah still here, but unfortunately no work on the car as have been off work this week. Will be back on the car as soon as I'm feeling better.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 16:57   #157
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Back working on the car. I've completed the repair under the windscreen but don't have a photo unfortunately showing it ground and painted. I still have have the sides to do in front of where this repair is but will do them when I'm doing the middle scuttle area. I've welded in the right inner wing shotgun. I had to repair the front top crossmember where it welds onto the shotgun as it was all rusty and I also had to fabricate a repair section where the shotgun is attached to the A pillar. I don't need to weld the shotgun to the old inner wing as I won't be using this when I put the cars together. It's all coming along but is slow going as it's lots of little bits and lots of deconstructing. The reason why I had to do the shotgun now was so I could complete the right scuttle area. I made a repair for this section and tried to replicate the original which has a lip in the inner two slotted areas by welding in the lip but it did't work as there was too much distortion so I re-made the section in a heavier gauge and it is fine. The next step is to weld in this section after I do some fixing of the areas which were damaged when I deconstructed this area. Hopefully the pics might better show what I've been doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (343.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (248.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (227.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (257.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (236.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (184.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (299.2 KB, 33 views)
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 17:22   #158
john h
VOC Member

Nice work. (I assume you've checked that the screen still fits...?)

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 17:31   #159
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I haven't yet John but the windscreen aperture follows the line of the top scuttle really well which has the windscreen channel in it. The side sections may need a wee bit of adjusting but I will do this if required when I make the new outer scuttle sections which will join the outer wings. I plan on having fibreglass wings so I will make the windscreen aperture which is normally part of the wing out of steel and then make a join to attach the fibreglass wings.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:30   #160
DJS

That's a nice repair to the shotgun Mitch.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post: