Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoring my P1800E

Views : 23986

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:36   #171
DJS

Nice work as ever Mitch. I'm looking forward to seeing the car in a few weeks.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 21:54   #172
Michael English
Michael 1800E on carbs

Re: and the plan now is to use a MX5 as the platform or just the front and rear MX5 suspension which unbolts.... I know you've moved on a bit since this comment, but did you look into how 'easy' it is to unbolt MX5 axle & shove it in a standard P1800 chassis? I'm just working on my rear end as it were, & if instead of a refurb there was a fairly simple swap to MX5 that'd be nice! Cl;early hubs are wrong ... how good & easy fit is MX5 back axle into the hole where the original item went? Thanks for any advice.
Michael English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:30   #173
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Michael,

How easy or hard to fit the MX5 rear subframe is a question you need to answer for yourself as depends on your skills and experience. But it is definitely doable and would be a good upgrade. If doing the rear I'd also think of fitting the front with the steering rack. Advantages are you can have independent rear and front suspension, certain MX5s come with a limited slip, large selection of excellent suspension choices including height adjustable coilovers, disc brakes all round and bolt on big brake kits available, and non-powered or power assisted steering rack options.

If fitting the MX5 rear subframe you should also consider stiffening the P1800 floor with triangulated (is that a word?) bracing as as ladder system like the P1800 has is not a stiff structure but add triangulated bracing will significantly increase the structure stiffness. Another area where the floor has it's stiffness is the tunnel so fully welding it and adding stiffener plates will also make a good difference and with independent suspension it will work much better with a stiff floor.

This website http://www.miata.net/garage/alignment/index.html has good diagrams of the MX5 front and rear subframes so you will get an idea of what you're looking at. Fire me any questions and will try and answer them but I'm no expert on MX5s or P1800's.

Cheers,
Mitch
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:28   #174
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Michael,

Also if someone thought about using the MX5 front subframe then the MX5 engine and 5 speed box could be fitted. And if looking for more HP there is turbo bolt on kits that can take it from standard up to 265Hp at the rear wheels without opening the engine. Just another option but obviously doing this sort of thing probably takes value off the car.

Best way would be to buy a cheap 1.8l NA MX5 with a hard top then you can sell off the bits you don't want. £1000 for the car and you can sell the hardtops for £350 on ebay so you could get your money back from the purchase of the car by breaking it if you wanted. The MX5 seats are also a nice upgrade for the P1800.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 03:02   #175
Daemon2

I'm not so sure this is a fair statement- regarding the amount of work. One never knows what lies under the paint until it is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
I have been looking at your build, and you have alot more work than I do... LOL Dont get frustrated, it only causes more work later.. It looks like you are actually building the car from scratch, I guess we are fairly lucky in the states when it comes to rust. Good work by the way..
Daemon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:23   #176
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon2 View Post
I'm not so sure this is a fair statement- regarding the amount of work. One never knows what lies under the paint until it is removed.
Ha Ha... I didnt mean anything bad about his car at all. I am impressed at the level of work and dedication being put into this P1800. I have notice alot of thread on this forum dedicated to searching for rust and rust repair, so I really appreciate the Southern United States vehicle conditions.. Undoubtably I have some rust issues, but it is minor compared to level I have seen dedicated threads on here..

If I run into too much rust, believe me, I will be looking at Mitch's Thread for direction. Hell, I may have to convince him to come and take care of it.. ha ha I had some fairly solid floor pans, but I have some slight bubble here or there on the outer rocker and lower back panel, other than that, it seems solid..

I only made the dont get discouraged comment, because in one of his last post, it seems that he was going in that direction. And believe me, I know what happens when you get fed up and dont want to do anymore.. LOL I have had a few cars sitting around for quite awhile when they ****ed me off and I didnt want to dedicate the time anymore...

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Apr 13th, 2011 at 06:28.
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:50   #177
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

No offence was taken guys and I do have a lot of work ahead of me. I would have loved to have started with a better car but they are far and few between in the UK but am really enjoying the build but would just like to be further along.

I'm still fiddling with the windscreen aperture and scuttle fit. I was in the garage last night and I am slowly getting there. I tried the windscreen from my parts car and it is slightly different to the one I'm using but I'll keep using the original one. I'm getting the windscreen aperture repair I did spot on with the windscreen and then I'll tweak the scuttle to fit where necessary so I may need a bit of shrinking or stretching along the edge to get as close to spot on that I can get it. It's surprisingly a challengingly bit to get right. I think the guys in the factory even had fun with this as there were some nice hammer marks along the inside of the right side windscreen aperture.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:28   #178
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Hi Michael,

the MX5 engine and 5 speed box could be fitted. And if looking for more HP there is turbo bolt on kits that can take it from standard up to 265Hp at the rear wheels without opening the engine.Mitch

Correct, this is my wifes 1997 1.8 Mk1 MX5 which i turbo'ed in 2004. It has never missed a beat over the years and still goes like stink.

Darryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0663.jpg (238.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0518.jpg (340.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0792.JPG (194.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 13th, 2011 at 11:06.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 17:16   #179
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Finally got the fit right with the scuttle and windscreen aperture so decided it was time to prep and paint the lower scuttle and underneath the top scuttle section. So I stripped it all back, spayed everything with metal ready and let it soak for a good while then washed it all off and dried the surfaces, then did one coat of POR-15, will do another before painting two coats of POR-15 tie coat primer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (304.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (303.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (392.8 KB, 50 views)
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 12:49   #180
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Default All keen again to get back on the P1800 project

It's amazing how you forget things. Looking through my old posts here this lunch after reading the recent post about P1800 panels and repairs and it amazes me how much I have done so far on the P1800 and how much I enjoyed it. I need to get back working on the P1800 so am going to bring my tools back this weekend and make a start again next week. Bring on those cold winter nights welding upside down and catching on fire again... ;-)