Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

virgo wheels

Views : 2439

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 23:02   #1
silworld

Default virgo wheels

hi there,

I am after a full set of virgo wheels (rims) for my 240 saloon. In good cond if poss.

thanks!
silworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 23:26   #2
wooble
Stay gold baby!

What price are you thinking? I'm in the process of doing a deal for a new set of wheels which would leave my virgos spare, I'd like to keep them as a winter set but I would probably let them go for the value of the tyres (4 nearly new toyo proxes CF1 @ £60 each, fronts have done about 1000 miles and rears about 3500, plus the spare michelin which has good tread but unknown age). I'll admit you could probably get a set of virgos cheaper elsewhere, but I don't really want to sell mine that much!

BTW I'm still on the lookout for those door pockets/centre console for you, I couldn't make it to my scrapyard last weekend as I was struck down with some horrible bug, but I'll deffo be going this weekend.

Last edited by wooble; Jul 21st, 2011 at 23:29.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 23:43   #3
silworld

Default virgo wheels

hi wooble.

That would be great if you can make it to the scrapyard... Yes, I am still trying to get those pieces.... but most important now is the sunroof handle you use to open and close (the whole set of pieces that comes with). Mine has given up and I need one badly as I cannot open it otherwise.

Regarding the virgo wheels... I need you advice. My volvo is a 240 GL saloon 1991. I think the wheels are 15"... Are your wheels the same measurements and if so, and we agree a price.. I do live in Manchester, where are you located?

Thanks again!

Silvestre
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:05   #4
silworld

Default yeah interested

checked my wheels and the wear is considerable so it is good timing for a new set.

how is the condition of your virgos??

If there is an alternative to a pick-up in person (i noticed you are based in Surrey!) I am interested.

let me know...

all best

silvestre
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:41   #5
brodgar
I've Been Banned

virgos are 15 inch
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 18:24   #6
silworld

Default advice

hello,

I am going to confess my ignorance on this. My volvo 240 GL 1991 is lower on the rear wheels than the front wheels. The tyres are 14". I do not know the size of the wheels. Are they the same as the tyres?

Why is my car lower on the back than the front when all the tyres are the same size? Somebody told me that's the way they should be. But he did not give an explanation as why... Can somebody illuminate me on this?

Because I do not know anything about this... I do not know if buying virgo rims is appropriate for this car.

thanks!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 18:54   #7
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

if your tyres are 14 then your wheels are 14, imagine you had a two inch finger and a two inch ring then the ring would fit however if you had a three inch ring it would be too big!! and a one inch too small!!
being lower at the back is the norm for the 240, but you could have sagging worn out springs? stick a photo up so people can see and advise.fitting virgo wheels will not alter it and fitting virgos is a popular modification.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 21:59   #8
silworld

ok... good example and I think i got the idea...

So what happens if somebody is selling a set of virgos which are 15"... Can i fit them in my 240 GL Saloon 1991? Or should i go for wheels which are 14" and end of?

Thanks again... and apologies if my questions seem infantile.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 22:19   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

You can fit 15" wheels to it as long as the profile of the tyre is reduced to maintain the overall diameter of the wheel/ tyre combination otherwise the tyres will rub on the inner wings and the speedo will miss read.

If the rear suspension has gone saggy then new larger wheels won't fix it, its time to look at the rear springs and shocks to get the car level again - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:43   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Silworld, if your car currently runs 14" rims it should have 175R14 tyres fitted: look at the sidewall and you'll see something like "175/80/14" and a letter, there might also be "88T" or "91T". The 88 and 91 are tyre load limits and not critical at this point.
The 175 is the tyre section in millimetres, the 80 is the profile and 14 the diameter in inches. Virgos are 15" diameter and would need tyres with "185/70/15" or "195/65/15" to keep the speedometer reading correct-ish. The "195/65/15" tyres are a better fit on the wheels.
There are several threads-worth of advice about wheel/tyre combinations for the 240 on the forum if you need any further info.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: