Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PA2 - Speed Limits

Views : 810

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:33   #1
Avallon

Default PA2 - Speed Limits

Hi, quick intro as I'm new to this forum:

I've just ordered a S90 D4 Momentum in Denim Blue, Blond Interior and Front Park Assist. Should get it next month (lease order already in the pipeline).

Whilst waiting, I'm just wondering whether anyone can confirm whether PA2 automatically adheres to speed limits?

Thanks,
Av
Avallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:40   #2
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avallon View Post

I've just ordered a S90 D4 Momentum in Denim Blue, Blond Interior and Front Park Assist. Should get it next month (lease order already in the pipeline).

Whilst waiting, I'm just wondering whether anyone can confirm whether PA2 automatically adheres to speed limits?

Thanks,
Av
I believe you can set it to do so or not.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph7355 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:45   #3
njpollard

I haven't found a way to make it happen, so would be interested if anyone else knows.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 23:18   #4
berrymanuk

Set in Sensus to Read Road Sign Information .. Then use the Speed Limiter on the DIM to get the car to slow down and speed up. Not perfect, but works.

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berrymanuk For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 23:30   #5
Mavi57

Quote:

Thanks,
Av
Doesn't work on PA2 only with the speed limiter.
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mavi57 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 23:52   #6
Avallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymanuk View Post
Set in Sensus to Read Road Sign Information .. Then use the Speed Limiter on the DIM to get the car to slow down and speed up. Not perfect, but works.
Do you mean by that that you need to manually set the speed limiter each time the speed limit changes or does the car do it automatically?
Avallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 00:10   #7
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Do you mean by that that you need to manually set the speed limiter each time the speed limit changes or does the car do it automatically?
Car does it automatically. It can be a bit of a pain, as it sometimes doesn't get it quite right. Plus when going past schools, it sets it to 20mph, when the limit can be 30mph. Fair enough in theory, but everyone else is like "wtf!" when the car automatically brakes to go down to 20mph.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 00:17   #8
Jcbrown

Quote:

Thanks,
Av
I am sure you will love the car when you get it

As far as I am aware PA2 does not automatically adhere to speed limits. at least I have not played around and found a way to set it thus. To be honest, I am not sure I would want it to either, as I do get a few false limits, where it reads a side-road sign and incorrectly believes it applies to me. it does not happen all the time, but on occasion it does. I am not sure I would want it slamming on the brakes if it thought I should be doing 30 in a 50 The system "binging" away to let me know I am going faster than the speed it thinks I should be doing I can put up with though.

Would suggest a good look through the manual might be in order: You can download them here http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/Pages/manuals.aspx, or onto a smart phone using the "Volvo Manual" app in the Google Play store or Apple App Store.

There are a couple of ways of setting the limit: Speed Limiter and Automatic Speed Limiter. Both are described in the manual. ASL will, within limits, adapt to the posted limits, but (as far as I am aware) ASL and PA2 are different options which cannot be engaged at the same time.

I have started using the SL when in town, especially London in the 20MPH zones.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 01:16   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Av
No It would not be a safe system if it did as it is not always safe or appropriate to stick to a speed limit, imagine doing 30 or 40 mph and passing a national limit sign and the car suddenly takes off when there may be a hazard or something ahead or at the side of the road or a bend etc. you can limit the speed manually but I dont like that option.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:49   #10
neon
Premier Member

If you set it in on speed limiter instead of PA2 it will change the setting based on road sign and I think it also can pick it up with Sat Nav. When you then press the accelerator it will not allow you to exceed the limit. You can manually increase it by 5mph when speed limiter is on by pressing the up arrow button on left side of steering.
I do use it and it is good but it can sometimes be confused by badly placed side road speed signs, which is not the cars fault. As with most of these things it is a driving aid and you can easily switch it off when the driver needs to take full control.