Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 Type 2 charging cable

Views : 1436

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:42   #1
andyfromembsay

Default T8 Type 2 charging cable

Hopefully collecting my XC90 T8 in a couple of weeks, and need to buy a couple of cables - one for my home charger and one to stay in the car alongside the 3-pin jobby for charging away from home (our offices have a mixture of 3-pin and proper charge points).

Anyone got any suggestions for good suppliers of said cables (especially one that'll give a discount as I'm buying two!)?

I think I'm right in saying there's no point in buying a 32 amp cable as the T8 won't draw that much current (even though my wall charger is a 7kW one)?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 11:17   #2
filace

The cheapest I've found online seem to be EVOneStop (https://evonestop.co.uk/), who are the consumer arm of Rolec as far as I can tell. No idea what their cables are like, but I do have a Rolec charging station and it hasn't caught fire yet.

The XC90 only has a 3.5kW (16A) charger onboard, so no point getting the 32A cable unless you want to 'future-proof' the cable, at the cost of additional weight and expense.

I've still not got around to purchasing a cable, I really should sort that out...
filace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filace For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:24   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default Vehicle plug

Do all electric, or hybrid cars have a standard vehicle side plug or are they all unique to the car, Betamax/VHS, iphone/android etc etc.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:56   #4
filace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Do all electric, or hybrid cars have a standard vehicle side plug or are they all unique to the car, Betamax/VHS, iphone/android etc etc.
There's two primary types in the UK: Type 1 and Type 2, broadly split between "Japan" and "Europe" in terms of what you'll find on each car. There's also two types of 'Rapid/DC' charge socket - ChaDeMo and CCS, again split Japan/Europe.

Oh, and Tesla do their own thing, too - but come with adaptors to convert to Type 2 I believe.

The Volvo's have a Type 2 charging socket, and all public chargers (at least in the UK) have either a tethered cable or a Type 2 socket (i.e. you will need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable for your Volvo).

There's also different current carrying capacities depending on the internal charging module in the vehicle - the Volvo can only draw up to 3.5kW/16A from a single phase, so there's no point going for a 32A or 3-phase cable.

(Interestingly boring fact: The 'electric car chargers' you see out and about are nothing more than a slightly advanced three pin plug - technically known as an 'EVSE' - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. The actual 'charger' is built into the vehicle; all the EVSE does is supply voltage and current in the same way a three pin plug does)
filace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to filace For This Useful Post: