Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800e 1971 Running Twin HS6 SU's

Views : 1021

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:25   #11
powen1

yep mm Sorry !
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:31   #12
powen1

Thanks Guys a lot of useful info :-)
When I say D Cam I mean the original one when built
Valves gaps are mm
Derek -Electric pump Durite 0-296-12 from what I see , thanks for the suggestion of Ron for disconnecting the pipe out of the equation and Derek for swapping pipes, will look at Brookhouse for flame guard, cheers
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:37   #13
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Don't connect the vacuum to the distributor. Like others wrote it is a retard system.
The inlet valves a little bit closer, the outlet valves with more play will help a little.
Is the inlet port for the pcv with a restrictor?
Should be with a small hole only. It will be a strange sound otherwise. You don’t complained about a strange sound, it will be with a restrictor.

Good luck, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 13:40.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 14:04   #14
powen1

yep with restrictor :-)
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 16:26   #15
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Don't connect the vacuum to the distributor. Like others wrote it is a retard system.
The inlet valves a little bit closer, the outlet valves with more play will help a little.
Is the inlet port for the pcv with a restrictor?
Should be with a small hole only. It will be a strange sound otherwise. You don’t complained about a strange sound, it will be with a restrictor.

Good luck, Kay
This is off-topic - a bit.

I received your message. Just so you don't think I am being a SOD I haven't been active on the forum long enough to reply to private messages. Your friend may be able to find the required information here

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...42-Project-Car

If not, at some future date when I have PM privileges I can supply an email to provide further details or he can register on Swedespeed and post questions there.

Now, back to the originally scheduled program.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 16:49   #16
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Swap the pipes. Oil cap to carb to allow clean air into the engine. Flame trap to manifold. You should have a PCV valve vertically just above the flame trap.
His current arrangement with the hose from the oil filler cap to the restricted nipple on the intake manifold is the arrangement that Volvo used on the B20E and later B20B cars. My 1971 B20E has the identical arrangement (other than still having the original injected manifold). Key to making this arrangement work is the manifold nipple with the restrictor which eliminates the PCV.

Since Volvo has used both configurations, clean air into the oil filler and clean air into the oil separator both could be considered correct. Its the interesting arrangements where owners connect the oil filler cap directly to the oil separator that are definitely not correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 17:02   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
When I say D Cam I mean the original one when built
Unless this is a very low mileage engine, I would be assessing the condition of the camshaft. You can do this without removing the camshaft from the engine; but, it requires the use of a dial gauge and a magnetic base for the dial gauge. You use the dial gauge to measure the movement of the top of the valve spring retainer (valve lift) as you turn the engine over. All the valves should have equal lift of somewhere around 0.4".

Having lift within spec does not guarantee that the cam and lifters have not started to spall; but, if the lifts are within spec you should be able to tune the engine and deal with the eventual deterioration of the cam at some future date.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 18:51   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
This is off-topic - a bit.

I received your message. Just so you don't think I am being a SOD I haven't been active on the forum long enough to reply to private messages. Your friend may be able to find the required information here

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...42-Project-Car

If not, at some future date when I have PM privileges I can supply an email to provide further details or he can register on Swedespeed and post questions there.

Now, back to the originally scheduled program.
If you ask the mods here they will let you PM: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800