Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo reliability - not impressed so far !

Views : 1008

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 22:18   #1
D5SE

Default Volvo reliability - not impressed so far !

I do a very high mileage for my business 1000 + per week, and after years of troublesome cars I decided to invest in a 'decent' car and went for a ten month old V70 D5 SE.

Well three months later and its in the dealers monday to have the following fixed.

1. Knocking from front suspension

2. Climate control has a mind of its own and intermittantly blasts hot
air at you for no reason.

3. Oil leak from engine / gearbox - it is oil, not water from aircon !

4. Vibration through steering ( not tyres / wheel balance )

5. Leather wearing off drivers seat.

6. Engine splutters between 1500 - 2000 rpm

I am really disappointed to be honest, other than this the car is great. I really do hope they can sort it out pronto or I can feel a change of car coming on !
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 23:33   #2
gallipoli

Default RE: Volvo reliability - not impressed so far !

i hate to say this, but volvos are not decent cars any more, their reliabilty record is very poor im afraid, a run of the mill japanese model is far superior, with the top marques such as lexus being far far better, if you require decent build quality plus reliabilty dont buy a volvo, they are trading on past glories im afraid
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 11:43   #3
rocket ron

hello there, i think you have been rather unlucky with your d5 i know that as galipoli says japanese cars are more reliable generally, but volvos in my opinion remain well made robust soundly engineered cars and i disagree that volvo are trading on past glories, i owned a lexus some time ago and it was a top drawer car however i must say my volvo has a nicer feel(no i cant quantify that!) to it and so far has proved just as reliable, anyway good luck with your car i hope once its sorted out you will enjoy many miles of happy volvoing best regards ron
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 18:58   #4
D5SE

Thanks, I too hope everything is sorted as problems apart It is superb.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 21:29   #5
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

You wait until your in a multiple pileup like I was in my 850, you be glad you bought it then. I do 700 miles a week and its very comforting to be in a Volvo, I forgive it the few breakdowns.

Have you got the soft leather option?

Good luck and dont take any softsoap from the dealer.

DDN
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 21:32   #6
volvo2
Master Member

The trouble with most of these surveys is that they tend to measure reliability in the short-term and don't consider long-term durability. I personally think that the 240 was one of the best family cars ever built. My own certainly outlasted most comparable cars, including all Japanese models. I think perhaps Volvo have lost that advantage today.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 23:00   #7
D5SE

>You wait until your in a multiple pileup like I was in my
>850, you be glad you bought it then. I do 700 miles a week and
>its very comforting to be in a Volvo, I forgive it the few
>breakdowns.
>
>Have you got the soft leather option?
>
>Good luck and dont take any softsoap from the dealer.
>
>DDN

I certainly hope I will never be in a multiple pile up !!

Not sure if I have the soft leather or not as the car was 10 months old when I bought it, it does however feel very thick and soft compared to other cars I have had with leather.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 23:41   #8
cootuk
Premier Member

If you bought from a dealer it's a pity they didnt check some of those things out first....i remember looking at an XC70 at a dealer forecourt and queried where the oil was leaking from. They said anything unusual would be fixed under warranty - hardly reassuring.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote