Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Volvo tape player with non-Volvo CD player on early 850

Views : 1057

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 16:24   #1
scormie

Default Replacing Volvo tape player with non-Volvo CD player on early 850

Santa brought me a s****y JVC CD player for Xmas, which will replace the ageing CR-708 tape unit in my early '93 850 saloon.

I've ordered an ISO-to-Volvo connector adaptor from an online source, thinking that's all I would need to make the swap, but having taken out the CR-708 today, I notice there's an additional lead connected to the tape unit, which attaches to a 6-pin DIN-style socket. There's a "AMP" caption on the backplate nearby, but it's ambiguously located, so I'm not entirely sure it relates to this socket. (I wasn't aware that my car had a separate amp anyway!)

There isn't an equivalent socket on the JVC unit unfortunately, so I'm at a loss. What does this lead do? How do I deal with it?!

TIA,

Stuart Cormie
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:30   #2
scormie

Default RE: Replacing Volvo tape player with non-Volvo CD player on early 850

Well, having looked a little further into it on this Forum and elsewhere, the lead with the 6-pin plug clearly does go to a separate amp hidden somewhere under the dash.

I'm also led to believe that this amp will need to be bypassed somehow....

However, the PC2-19-4 ISO-to-Volvo adaptor that's on order has also been described as an "amp bypass harness" by at least one source I've read. So could it be that that there are separate (and currently unused) leads in the main wiring bundle that I'll connect into, going straight to the speakers that were previously powered by the amp? So the new CD player will power those speakers directly, and if I leave the current AMP lead unplugged, the Volvo amp will be effectively leapfrogged in that way?
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:33   #3
mraldonnelly

There's another harness in the amp which is the wires to the speakers. You need to unplug this from the amp and plug it into the new wiring harness.

It's quite a simple job but a bit fiddly trying to get to the amp.

Good luck.

Andy
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:04   #4
twinturbo

On a similar vein, I want to put my old Panasonic multichanger in my 850.

Does the Double din slot easily take standard cages for single Din units?

Ta

TT
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:24   #5
scormie

>It's quite a simple job but a bit fiddly trying to get to the
>amp.
>
>Good luck.

Could you give me a heads up on where it'll be? What do I need to remove to get to it?

Thanks.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:24   #6
warthog
VOC Member

Shouldn't be any problem. There should be all the runners etc. already there to slide the single units into.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:48   #7
mraldonnelly

"Could you give me a heads up on where it'll be? What do I need to remove to get to it?"

Unfortunately I can't remember fully and my T5 doesn't have the amp (it's ex-police) so I can't even use it as a reference but I know the amp is behind the centre console towards the drivers side footwell. If you follow the amp lead back behind the console you'll find the amp. Then have a fumble around the amp and you'll find the speaker harness. Just unplug it and hey presto, you've got the harness to connect to the new wiring loom.

Where are you based? If you're anywhere near Liverpool I'll be more than happy to give you a hand over the weekend (or any other weekend for that matter).

Regards

Andy
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 23:24   #8
scormie

Andy wrote:

>... but I know the amp is behind the centre console towards the
>drivers side footwell. If you follow the amp lead back behind
>the console you'll find the amp. Then have a fumble around the
>amp and you'll find the speaker harness. Just unplug it and
>hey presto, you've got the harness to connect to the new
>wiring loom.

And indeed that's the way it was! Only got to tackle the job today because I've been waiting over 2 weeks for the PC2-19-4 harness to arrive (that's Halfords "Direct" for you -- impressed, not!). Just had to remove the panel beneath the steering column to gain access to the amp.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:40   #9
mraldonnelly

No worries - glad you got it done without any real problems.

Enjoy your new ICE.

Regards

Andy