Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Map Update Available.

Views : 4526

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2019, 15:58   #21
nu11eaf
Premier Member

OTA = over the air, (or via car internet connection) I only use North western Europe maps so thats all I update and the OTA download used approx 0.3gb of data, the full update for this map is over 2gb but via car over the air it must just updates what is required or its compressed.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 16:02   #22
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Like anything in this world not totally free would be built into the purchase price.

However, good friend has an Audi S4 and has the virtual cockpit which is fantastic and streets ahead.
Everything has its price, but some brands charge quite much for a map update. I find the Audi virtual cockpit
flashy and gimmicky, not at all to my liking. I can't comment on the navigation, but I like Sensus navigation.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 16:11   #23
uro1

There are two ways to update your Maps.

1. OTA (over the air)
You need a SIM Card with data in your car. You can set your standard region to auto download, but have to download the other regions manually. Take a look into the update App. As nu11eaf posted you do not need much data for those as they seem to be incremental.

2. As Download from Volvos Website and USB-Stick
Here also you can choose between just updating a region and the whole of Europe. But these are not incremental and use much more space.

Personally I update 2 regions I frequently use OTA and only do an Update for Europe once or twice a year.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 16:39   #24
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Above post is correct but you can also use your phone data as a hotspot to connect to internet instead of a Sim card in the car modem. I used my phone data today to update my map.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 17:02   #25
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
OTA = over the air, (or via car internet connection) I only use North western Europe maps so thats all I update and the OTA download used approx 0.3gb of data, the full update for this map is over 2gb but via car over the air it must just updates what is required or its compressed.
That's really useful thanks.

I like the idea of NWE and France being updated as I use those roads. The full download update for those is over 6gb but if it only updates what's required so uses considerably less that sounds quick and efficient.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 21:37   #26
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Spot on!, mine downloaded and installed N.W Europe update OTA today on a round trip 20 mile journey, completing the installation after I switched off. I too use the 3 network data sim 12gb/12 months.

No hassle, simples!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:39   #27
Driver Dave

Mine updated yesterday during a 150mile trip, wouldn't have known except I noticed the rotating ring at the top of the Sensus display, sat nav continued to work as normal so I assume it completed the install once I had reached my destination.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 09:05   #28
JAmaral
XC90 MY18 - PGray/MBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
Downloaded the update yesterday, 49 Gb for the whole of Europe. Going to plug the memory stick into the car today, it will take a little while to update.

The time and effort is worth it for me, I am driving to Portugal next week, no reason not to have the latest map. Three destinations in Spain and one in Portugal already sent to the car from the VOC app on my phone.

Ready to go.
If you’re coming to Spain and Porrugal you should get Waze. It’s the only navigation app with the correct speed trap locations, etc. Sensus misses most, even with maps up to date.
JAmaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 17:12   #29
James77

Successfully updating NWE maps OTA (just installing now on short trips).

I wanted to also update France OTA looking down the list of all regions that are available to install it's everything apart from Spain (I think) which says too large for OTA and France which doesn't give a reason at all.

Wonder if that means no change to France of I need to download onto a memory stick.

Just wondering if that's consistent with other peoples experience.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 14:24   #30
James77

Taken the time to download the map update OTA, however, I had 1243 I now have 1250 not 1260 any idea why that would be?