Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 v XC60

Views : 3407

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 10:13   #1
Sceptre123

Default XC90 v XC60

Ive recently swapped my MY17 XC90 for a MY19 XC60... I have been extremely worried about swapping for the 60, and I though I would share my findings...

Previous car was XC90 D5 Momentum with a couple of extras
New car is XC60 T5 R Design with Winter Pack

Noise - The XC60 is extremely quiet. The engine is amazingly quiet, the tyre noise is very low. XC60 wins head of over heals.

Engine - The car feels very quick and willing. The gearbox seems more willing to be in the right gear than the D5, and when cold feels much more alive.

Ride - The XC60 is the sporty suspension which I thought would be hard. It isn't, its amazing and far less choppy over rough roads and speed bumps. XC60 wins

Economy - The XC60 is very thirsty. You need the lightest foot, and nothing you do seems to make the economy any better, currently about 27 compared with 34 for the XC90. XC90 wins

Seating / internal size (excluding 3rd row / boot) - Very similar. The kids find the 3 seats better and more comfortable. In the front it's more car like but equally as spacious. Both excellent.

Boot - It is small on the 60... a bit small really but with some thought useable enough. XC90 wins

Tech - The two years hasn't changed how anything operates, but the system feels to be better generally. XC60 wins

Build Quality - Very similar. Overall the XC60 seems to be better. Im guessing that the XC90 on MY19 would also feel better. Both excellent

Overall I need not to worry! Very pleased; highly recommend the XC60

Obviously if they were the same money I'd buy a 90... just because they are brilliant. £ for £ the XC60 wins
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:30   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
Ive recently swapped my MY17 XC90 for a MY19 XC60... I have been extremely worried about swapping for the 60, and I though I would share my findings...

Economy - The XC60 is very thirsty. You need the lightest foot, and nothing you do seems to make the economy any better, currently about 27 compared with 34 for the XC90. XC90 wins
A diesel will always have better mpg. Whether that makes it more economical is a different matter. A diesel engined car is usually a bit more expensive and diesel costs more at the pump these days.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:33   #3
jonnyu

I just dont agree with 3 points:
-Noise: Cant compare the ride noise having 2 different types of engines.
-Engine: Cant compare the gearbox performance from a Petrol engine VS a Diesel engine, neither the performances since the T5 has 245 hp and the D5 has 225 hp. Also weight ratio is different (the XC60 is lighter)
-Economy: Cant compare 2 cars with 2 different engines.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:42   #4
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
A diesel will always have better mpg. Whether that makes it more economical is a different matter. A diesel engined car is usually a bit more expensive and diesel costs more at the pump these days.
True but the diesel continues to be a valid option in terms of economy.
I was confronted with this issue when I bought the car.
So I did the math: based on the current gas price difference Petrol VS Diesel + the difference of the anual car tax (emissions), based on a 25.000 km per year usage, you arrive to the conclusion that diesel is 2k per year less expensive than the petrol option.
Of course you have the car price difference to factor in which was for me around 5k (being the diesel more expensive).
So basically you have to decide 1st how many km you will do per year and 2nd for how many years will you have this car.
-Low n kms, having with the car for short or medium term: Petrol
-high n kms, having with the car for short term: Petrol
-high n kms, having with the car for medium or long term: Diesel
-Low n kms, having with the car for long term: Petrol
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:53   #5
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
I just dont agree with 3 points:
-Noise: Cant compare the ride noise having 2 different types of engines.
-Engine: Cant compare the gearbox performance from a Petrol engine VS a Diesel engine, neither the performances since the T5 has 245 hp and the D5 has 225 hp. Also weight ratio is different (the XC60 is lighter)
-Economy: Cant compare 2 cars with 2 different engines.
You are saying the OP CAN'T compare his previous car with his new car ? Is there a legal presedence for this ?

I'm pretty sure he is aware that a diesel is different from a petrol, that the performance is different, that the weight ratios are different. He never said he was comparing like-for-like, just his old car with his new car, given the worry he had prior to changing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:59   #6
DangerMUK
VOC Member

I went the other way to you XC60 -> XC90

I think the XC60 is a very nice car and its obviously been tweaked and refined compared to the XC90 which has been around a bit longer.

With that being said I think they're both awesome cars!!

(I had the T8 with both)

The T8 in XC60 format had slightly too much power going through the front wheels for my liking.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:22   #7
Sceptre123

Haha “can’t compare”

I can compare... I’m a car user and that is my experience! I thought it worth letting other forum members know my experience incase it helps them consider similar or different options.

Hope all other forum users found it helpful.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 15:05   #8
Deman77
Master Member

I agree with most of your findings having had xc60 t5 as a courtesy for one family trip.
I would just note the following:
For urban short mileage I found t5 to be no more thirsty than d5.
T5 was definitely more wiling to be in the right gear and more willing to rev with no obvious effort.
I found xc60 a bit cramped. Rear wheel arch restricts rear entrance more, the front feels a lot less spacious.
Standard equipment on xc60 was indequate - lots of standard xc90 things were missing.
For quietness - the engine is no contest to my d5 but my18 xc90 d5 I tried was much quieter than earlier models. Xc60 is les cavernous so it does not have the magnification of noise like xc90 does.
I would probably get crucified for this on this forum but i don’t think xc60 would be winning any prizes in the looks department - only looks good from a couple of angles. I thought xc60 (r design it was) just looked wrong proportioned. Xc90 looks stunning from almost every angle. It does depend on colour wheel combos as there are a lot of xc90s that don’t look good but I a yet to see xc60 on the road that I liked.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 15:16   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I wonder if you are a bit biased?

I am looking at renewing my 2012 and much prefer the sporty looks of the 60.

Inside it’s chalk and cheese. The 60 door tops are plastic and everything feels a lot cheaper. For me I compare it to the discovery and Range Rover.

I have no need for 7 seats and think the 60 looks better but the 90 is far more plush inside and a noticeable step up on quality.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 18:02   #10
Sceptre123

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I wonder if you are a bit biased?

I am looking at renewing my 2012 and much prefer the sporty looks of the 60.

Inside it’s chalk and cheese. The 60 door tops are plastic and everything feels a lot cheaper. For me I compare it to the discovery and Range Rover.

I have no need for 7 seats and think the 60 looks better but the 90 is far more plush inside and a noticeable step up on quality.
They are pretty much identical for quality and plushness. The difference is certainly on standard spec. Although the spec on the new car is slightly lower the car isn’t missing anything is choose to pay for..

I’m very surprised!