Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4D - no dipstick!

Views : 7809

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2017, 16:58   #1
Lincolnite

Default 2.4D - no dipstick!

Oh er, I’m all nervous.

How does that oil level check thing work & is it reliable?

I had a car with no dipstick before, a 320i, but that was a company car, whereas this XC60 is mine.

I suppose that makes more frequent oil changes more difficult- does anyone on here do them?
Lincolnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 17:56   #2
Mick787

I was told there was no dipstick as well. It’s a load of tosh. If you look at the front of the engine block from under the bonnet, down at the bottom centrally left to right, there is a ‘service’ dipstick that the tech’s can use. It is awkward to get to and I’d hate to try and use it after a run because my arms would be burnt to heck! It is quite small when it comes out. If ever the oil warning light comes on, you can verify things with this dipstick. It is safe to take it out and check the oil, you do not risk causing any damage. After a short time of owning mine, the low oil message came on. Allegedly it is set up to quite sensitive levels. I always carry a 500ml top up bottle, always have done whatever the car, just in case. Just ensure you have the right spec’ oil as reserve. These days, warranty companies will test oil to ensure it is 100%. Any contamination, they won’t pay up! Also, drop the oil yearly. No excuses, it’s simply not worth it to do otherwise, false economy.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 18:19   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have been driving XC60s for 8 years now and have never had to put any oil in the car ever, and IIRC even the 'technicians' dipstick has been removed.

You trust the fuel gauge on the car, you trust the temperature gauge on the car (assuming your model has one) and a host of other things that the car manages more accurately and more frequently that you ever could - just let the car get on with its thing, if there is an issue with the oil level the car will give you a warning quicker than you will by checking a dipstick
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 21:36   #4
Mick787

I understand your comments, however, from personal experience, when you are traveling along the motorway and a message pops up saying ‘oil level low’ what would you do? I have photos which prove what I say happened in my experience a few days after taking delivery of my car from a main dealer. For the sake of a few quid, knowing where that dipstick is and having a small bottle ready to use is good peace of mind. Either that or be prepared to drive and it fails or sit and wait for a recovery truck!
Re the fuel gauge, how is it biased? Is half a tank on the gauge half a tank? I like to know what I have got and how that fuel is likely to last. Each to their own. I like to know my vehicle to the best of my ability, each creak and squeak so I know if something has changed.
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 21:59   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

What matters in a car engine is the oil pressure, not the level of the oil. The dipstick was only installed in cars to let drivers know that there was enough in the sump for the pump to pick it up and provide lubrication to the bearings.

Manufacturers fitted an oil pressure switch when they became reliable enough to let drivers know there was sufficient pressure people complained that the pressure gauge had gone but came to realise and accept that the replacement was more than sufficient. The same scenario now applies to the dipstick and in 10 years you won't even remember that one existed. They were taken off gearboxes years ago and no-one complains and as for the fuel tank you don't go and dip it like they used to do you? Nope, you are confident that the gauge is telling you what you need to know and it is accurate, same applies to the engine management system (which also provides the feed to the fuel gauge) monitoring the oil pressure and level and telling you when there is something wrong.

In your example it wasn't the dipstick that told you something was wrong, it was the engine management system and you took the action it told you to - you put in some oil. All the dipstick did was provide you with the confidence in the diagnosis of the management system - which spotted the problem in a situation when you could never have spotted it.

Trust the car, hundreds of thousands of us do and we have no issues
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 22:21   #6
Mick787

I’m not sure if you are fishing for a bite? I guess you never check your tyre pressures or tread wear either! Each to their own. Good luck, you do it your way, I’ll do it mine. Safe driving!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 19:34   #7
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What matters in a car engine is the oil pressure, not the level of the oil. The dipstick was only installed in cars to let drivers know that there was enough in the sump for the pump to pick it up and provide lubrication to the bearings.

Manufacturers fitted an oil pressure switch when they became reliable enough to let drivers know there was sufficient pressure people complained that the pressure gauge had gone but came to realise and accept that the replacement was more than sufficient. The same scenario now applies to the dipstick and in 10 years you won't even remember that one existed. They were taken off gearboxes years ago and no-one complains and as for the fuel tank you don't go and dip it like they used to do you? Nope, you are confident that the gauge is telling you what you need to know and it is accurate, same applies to the engine management system (which also provides the feed to the fuel gauge) monitoring the oil pressure and level and telling you when there is something wrong.

In your example it wasn't the dipstick that told you something was wrong, it was the engine management system and you took the action it told you to - you put in some oil. All the dipstick did was provide you with the confidence in the diagnosis of the management system - which spotted the problem in a situation when you could never have spotted it.

Trust the car, hundreds of thousands of us do and we have no issues
Speak for yourself, no trouble codes and the car doesn't pull like it used to. I will never trust any car...
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote