Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144 Rally Car

Views : 1326

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 15:04   #1
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Default 144 Rally Car

Testing the water a little……..

I’ve not used my 144 for 6 months now and am becoming distracted by other forms of motorsport so maybe it is time for us to part company and let someone else have some fun.

She’s a 1973 144DL bought by me in 2001 as a two owner car with full history from new. I wanted the car for Historic Road Rallying and gradually transformed this solid but inevitably slow car into a very competitive machine suitable for all kinds of events.

So here’s the list;

Good shell, some areas of cosmetic paintwork now required and trailing sills looking a bit scruffy. Major strengthening to inner rear arches some time ago. Inner wings good, always garaged when not in use. Full sump and fuel tank guards in place.

B20 engine built by Nick Stagg, exact specification unknown but it goes well! I was told it has a skimmed B20E big valve unleaded head, lively camshaft, twin 1.75” SU’s, Amazon distributor, steel timing gear, uprated mounts, mated to overdrive gearbox and genuine Dana LSD rear end. Not run the car on the dyno but the car pulls hard and will easily break three figures using a Tom Tom for reference. She’ll rev happily to 6,000, uses no oil at all and sounds great through her bespoke twin box exhaust system.

Suspension all uprated with slightly lower and 30% stiffer springs and Bilstein dampers of course. The ride is firm but cornering is much improved and no leaning! I’ve got two sets of wheels and tyres including five clean GLT wheels which I think look good. The car is now ready for new tyres. Brakes properly overhauled and in top fettle, since doing this the car has always used Automec brake fluid and EBC Yellow Stuff pads. Flexible lines are braided stainless steel.

Electrics all perfect with 65amp alternator and separate loom for all the rally kit. Bosch battery, PIAA 80 Series auxiliary lights.

Interior is fitted with bespoke half cage, OMP seats and four point harnesses, extra interior lighting, fire extinguisher, map lights, Brantz rally timer, Brantz International 2 trip meter, full immaculate R Sport dial set and auxiliary switch panel for accessories.

This is a well known car and she’s competed in umpteen Historic and Modern events including 5 Le Jogs and won plenty of silverware. The car is fully eligible for all HRCR, HERO and CRA road events having been built with those in mind.

I suspect I’ve spent well over £10,000 on this car over the years and obviously I don’t expect to see that back but about half would tempt me to let her go. Expensive for a 144 in standard trim but believe me, this car is anything but standard and designed for a job which it did and would still do brilliantly. I’ve got a spare engine, a few panels and for the collector, a V5 and plates for an identical green ’72 (Historic Tax) 144.

The logical place for this to be advertised is the rally press but here's a chance for you 144 fans to get in first! Message me through the web site if you have any questions or want to take a look, the car is stored near Bath, Somerset.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 12:59   #2
80sRich

Dude, really sorry to hear that you are thinking of selling this car. (Though if I had 5k I doubt I would be so sorry.)

Before you sell it is it still ok for me to come up and have a look at it and get some ideas from you on the direction to take mine?
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 16:36   #3
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Of course you can, I'll PM you my 'phone number.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 21:27   #4
scottreay

did you sell this car. if so how much did it go for. i have been offered a 142 rally car and looking for some ideas on pricing.
thanks
scott
scottreay is offline   Reply With Quote