Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st annual service - report

Views : 3466

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 22:07   #11
Ransman
Master Member

New cars come with a letter from Volvo Assistance which states:

"Volvo Assistance is a comprehensive, highly competitive breakdown package created to give you peace of mind as you drive and it comes as standard for the first 3 years".

It doesn't say anything in the letter about needing it serviced to continue to qualify but I would think that it has to be a pre-condition.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 21:44   #12
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
New cars come with a letter from Volvo Assistance which states:

"Volvo Assistance is a comprehensive, highly competitive breakdown package created to give you peace of mind as you drive and it comes as standard for the first 3 years".

It doesn't say anything in the letter about needing it serviced to continue to qualify but I would think that it has to be a pre-condition.
Pretty sure when I got mine (March 2011), the breakdown cover was for a single year. Either way, I'm happy I have the cover without more expense.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 21:58   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMercR View Post
Pretty sure when I got mine (March 2011), the breakdown cover was for a single year. Either way, I'm happy I have the cover without more expense.
1 year used to be what you got when buying a new Volvo.

12 plate cars (or rather cars from I think it was Jan 2012) now get 3 years.

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Apr 4th, 2012 at 22:03. Reason: what you got not what the you got
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 22:01   #14
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

On a slightly different topic, as usual, after the service the car feels better - smoother and powerful (although this could just be in comparison to the nice little Nissan Micra they loaned me...........).

However, I am convinced the heater fan is now more noisy than it was pre-service. Is that possible/likely or am I imagining it?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:33   #15
jjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post

On the defects side, the power tailgate actuator had started to make a creaking sound. Apparently this is a known technical issue (load spring rubbing on the inside of the casing) with a defined solution. It seems ok now.

Hi, I've got the same problem, but at the moment it is not constantly. Would you know exactly what they actually did to fix it? Did they replace it, and if so, is it the newer version?
Many thanks.
jjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 15:51   #16
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb View Post
Hi, I've got the same problem, but at the moment it is not constantly. Would you know exactly what they actually did to fix it? Did they replace it, and if so, is it the newer version?
Many thanks.
As explained to me, the fix is to provide a smoother sliding action, but precisely how, the service desk chappie was unsure. I don't think it involved replacing the actuator.
A few moments later -
I just had a closer look and there is now some white grease spreading along the inner part. It is also smeared on the outer casing and needs a bit of a clean up. tut tut.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 19:56   #17
Mike 700
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
My xc60 has just had its first annual service (under the 3 years servicing for £300 arrangement).

The first point is that I get a free renewal of Volvo Recovery. An interesting point is that I got an invitation through the post from Volvo a few weeks ago to renew for a price, which I refused. This possibility of charging a customer for something unnecessarily looks like a case of volvo not being entirely joined up in its customer service.

Before accepting the car from me, the dealer was careful to make sure I understood that any private changes to the software could be lost as a result of software updates. He was a bit vague when questioned about this, but I got the impression that a potential problem area is unofficial engine remaps. Not a problem for me.

The dealer was very keen that I should feel entirely happy with the service. Fair enough. I expect I will receive a customer satisfaction survey in the near future.

On the defects side, the power tailgate actuator had started to make a creaking sound. Apparently this is a known technical issue (load spring rubbing on the inside of the casing) with a defined solution. It seems ok now.

The service checklist caters for years 1 - 13. Most items are annual and some mostly AWD related are every two years. It seems timing belts and related items come under scrutiny every 10 years.

The next question is going to be whether the mpg has changed as a result of the service.

Had the first service today, at 15000 miles, just short of 1 year old.

Software updated to cover problem with starter, now works first time, instead of 3rd. or 4th. time.

Tested fuel consumption over 20 miles, and they report an average of 44 mpg on motorway and 32 mpg around town - time will tell ?

One worry though, they say that the tyres only have 2-3,000 miles left in them - that would be the worst performance from any of my Volvo's , previous Volvo's have returned way over 20,000 miles per tyre.

The engine seems more noisy since the service, or am I comparing it unfairly with the new S80 SE D3 DRIVE auto, that they gave me for the day whilst mine was being serviced ?
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 14:25   #18
jjb

Thumbs up

Quote:
Many thanks.
Hi, sorry to be a pain, but my car is in for a service, and I mentioned the problem regarding the actuator, but they say there's no bulleting/info from volvo. They keep going on about the tailgate hinges and lock, but I keep telling them it has nothing to do with that, and is not a rattling noise when driving, it's when oppenning and closing that tailgate. Anyway, could you please tell me which dealer you had the problem sorted at. At the moment, my dealer is "going through the process" to get further info.

Many thanks again.
jjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 17:39   #19
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Hi, sorry to be a pain, but my car is in for a service, and I mentioned the problem regarding the actuator, but they say there's no bulleting/info from volvo. They keep going on about the tailgate hinges and lock, but I keep telling them it has nothing to do with that, and is not a rattling noise when driving, it's when oppenning and closing that tailgate. Anyway, could you please tell me which dealer you had the problem sorted at. At the moment, my dealer is "going through the process" to get further info.

Many thanks again.
PM sent.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 17:44   #20
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
...One worry though, they say that the tyres only have 2-3,000 miles left in them - that would be the worst performance from any of my Volvo's , previous Volvo's have returned way over 20,000 miles per tyre.

Sorry to say but that would be inline with what I got from the Pirelli that were fitted. I rotated them at around 15k as the fronts were down, yet rear had lots left and I changed the lot at 22k - and they really needed changing then