Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To... SAVE THE MOST MONEY on your car insurance

Views : 2065

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 14:11   #1
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

Default How To... SAVE THE MOST MONEY on your car insurance

HOW TO… SAVE THE MOST MONEY
on your car insurance

Everybody is looking for cheaper car insurance and we can show you how you could get straight to the biggest savings in just 3 Easy Steps with the mod-friendly Volvo Owners Club Insurance.

Though we use computers as a guide, our expert staff individually assess you based on your own circumstances, regularly beating the rates the computer produces, the direct companies and the price comparison websites. VOC members actually SAVE £51 on average and we’d like you to benefit from this too.

3 Easy Steps
The people who save the most money are those who follow our easy 3-step plan:

STEP 1
Have your best quote or renewal premium to hand

STEP 2
Give VOC Insurance a call FREE on 0800 023 4374
(01424 205077 for mobiles)

STEP 3
Tell us your best quote and we’ll use it to negotiate a better rate on your behalf

That’s right, get your best car insurance quote and we’ll beat it by as much as we can.

Remember, the members who saved £51 on the best quote they can find adopt this method.

We use computers as a guide but our fully-trained, helpful staff consistently beat the rates the computer produces, the direct companies and the price comparison websites when we have a ‘best quote’ to beat.

Quality service and advice too
You’ll also benefit from independent insurance advice and personal service where your needs are put before all other considerations.

You’ll be able to speak to a real person in the UK and there are no call centres. And you’ll receive all the ongoing support you need, including claims assistance, throughout the life of your policy.

The scheme is available to any make and model, so your friends and family can benefit too.

Simply call FREE on
0800 023 4374

to find out how much you could SAVE

The scheme covers most modifications (EXCLUDING NITROUS and ROLL CAGES). All makes and models considered eligible. Drivers must be aged over 19 for Third Party, Fire & Theft or over 22 for Comprehensive. Drivers of performance vehicles (RS, VXR, Type-R, etc) must be aged 25 or over. All drivers must have held a licence for at least 1 year, have minimum 12 months’ experience of driving/insuring similar performance cars and have at least 1 year's NCB (unless you have NCB on a second car or a company car letter to state at least 1 year's claim-free driving).

Saving applies to new policies for named drivers and is subject to individual circumstances including restrictions on claims/convictions and excludes all M, L, OL & SK1-12 postcodes and Northern Ireland. Some postcodes require the car to be parked off the road overnight. Written proof of best quote may be required.

£51 is the average saving for new VOC customers (Jan-Dec 2009) where ‘best quote’ information was supplied.

VOC Insurance is administered by Chris Knott Insurance who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
ChrisKnott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisKnott For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 16:57   #2
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKnott View Post
HOW TO… SAVE THE MOST MONEY
on your car insurance

Everybody is looking for cheaper car insurance and we can show you how you could get straight to the biggest savings in just 3 Easy Steps with the mod-friendly Volvo Owners Club Insurance.

Though we use computers as a guide, our expert staff individually assess you based on your own circumstances, regularly beating the rates the computer produces, the direct companies and the price comparison websites. VOC members actually SAVE £51 on average and we’d like you to benefit from this too.

3 Easy Steps
The people who save the most money are those who follow our easy 3-step plan:

STEP 1
Have your best quote or renewal premium to hand

STEP 2
Give VOC Insurance a call FREE on 0800 023 4374
(01424 205077 for mobiles)

STEP 3
Tell us your best quote and we’ll use it to negotiate a better rate on your behalf

That’s right, get your best car insurance quote and we’ll beat it by as much as we can.

Remember, the members who saved £51 on the best quote they can find adopt this method.

We use computers as a guide but our fully-trained, helpful staff consistently beat the rates the computer produces, the direct companies and the price comparison websites when we have a ‘best quote’ to beat.

Quality service and advice too
You’ll also benefit from independent insurance advice and personal service where your needs are put before all other considerations.

You’ll be able to speak to a real person in the UK and there are no call centres. And you’ll receive all the ongoing support you need, including claims assistance, throughout the life of your policy.

The scheme is available to any make and model, so your friends and family can benefit too.

Simply call FREE on
0800 023 4374

to find out how much you could SAVE

The scheme covers most modifications (EXCLUDING NITROUS and ROLL CAGES). All makes and models considered eligible. Drivers must be aged over 19 for Third Party, Fire & Theft or over 22 for Comprehensive. Drivers of performance vehicles (RS, VXR, Type-R, etc) must be aged 25 or over. All drivers must have held a licence for at least 1 year, have minimum 12 months’ experience of driving/insuring similar performance cars and have at least 1 year's NCB (unless you have NCB on a second car or a company car letter to state at least 1 year's claim-free driving).

Saving applies to new policies for named drivers and is subject to individual circumstances including restrictions on claims/convictions and excludes all M, L, OL & SK1-12 postcodes and Northern Ireland. Some postcodes require the car to be parked off the road overnight. Written proof of best quote may be required.

£51 is the average saving for new VOC customers (Jan-Dec 2009) where ‘best quote’ information was supplied.

VOC Insurance is administered by Chris Knott Insurance who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Just an update on this, insurers are tightening their criteria so for the time being we can't offer new quotes for drivers with more than 1 SP/PC/PL motoring conviction. We'll continue to invite renewals though.

We can also only cover bhp increases if by no more than 20bhp.

The minimum premiums are £250 for Comprehensive & £200 for TPFT cover.

How to... SAVE THE MOST MONEY on your car insurance.
Call 0800 023 4374 (or 01424 205077 - cheaper for mobiles).
Check out our online magazine - Cover Story
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisKnott For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 23:15   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:

The minimum premiums are £250 for Comprehensive & £200 for TPFT cover.
That is quite expensive these days for insurance.

My 240 is costing £153 for the year and the old 145 on classic insurance is £102 for the year both fully comp and I would not insure any other way.

I very much doubt a car enthusiast would in insure TPFT TBH
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 23:40   #4
Eddy Matthews
VOC Member

Quote:
Just an update on this, insurers are tightening their criteria so for the time being we can't offer new quotes for drivers with more than 1 SP/PC/PL motoring conviction. We'll continue to invite renewals though.
Would you care to explain what the heck SP/PC/PL means? It's total gibberish to me, which is not what I want from an insurance company!

Secondly, why do members need to tell you what their best quote is? Either you can give a competetive quote or you can't surely? You should not need to know what the best that has been offered is IMHO...

Saying that you can beat any of the online insurance comparison sites doesn't inspire me with confidence either.... I did an online search for a Toyota Estima that I owned a 2 years ago - Best online quote using the comparison sites was £1250 fully comp. After doing a bit of searching myself I got that down to £300... So much for Insurance comparison sites! I rest my case.....

I'm afraid that with your current listing I'm unlikely to even call you.... But I'd certainly be interested in your answers to the points raised above!

Regards
Eddy

Last edited by Eddy Matthews; Aug 19th, 2010 at 23:44.
Eddy Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddy Matthews For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 00:46   #5
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Matthews View Post
Would you care to explain what the heck SP/PC/PL means? It's total gibberish to me, which is not what I want from an insurance company!

Secondly, why do members need to tell you what their best quote is?
I'm afraid that with your current listing I'm unlikely to even call you.... But I'd certainly be interested in your answers to the points raised above!
Chris Knotts have singlehandedly overnight managed to pretty much decimate their entire market base.

Over at This link on T5D5 I took the time to explain the Jargon copied below

And the full story from Chris Knott's is as below.

Quote:
The scheme is for both standard and modified cars with cosmetic changes and bhp increases by no more than 20bhp.

It starts for ages 25 and over for Comprehensive cover and 19+ for TPFT cover, and you must have at least 1 year's NCB – no introductory discounts are allowed.

All drivers must have held a full UK licence for at least 1 year, and to insure a 'performance' car, there must be at least 1 years experience of driving that, or similar bhp, car. Unfortunately, the scheme is not competitive on all M - Manchester, L - Liverpool, OL - Oldham & SK1-12 - Stockport postcodes, and excludes Northern Ireland.

No more than 1 SP (Speeding) /PC (Pedestrian Crossing) /PL (Provisional Licence Breaches) conviction offence per driver.
Their cover issues now are wide and far, and tbh - I suspect anybody using them will find themselves better off elsewhere.

My advice given is

Quote:
Basically, any car (regardless of make/model) that is modified is not going to potentially be competitive or quoted for, in fact Tim said that one car manufacturer (and associated forums) has been completely dropped from CK's business, and that they've personally lost/stopped dealing with over 100 forums.

It possibly won't apply to renewals, and doesn't affect current insurance cover through them, although you want to ensure (as should be standard practice) that the quote/renewal price quoted from CK is competitive IMHO.

Apparently it's due to changes from underwriters and actuaries and the amount of claims from particular groups, not so much us - but once again, across the board claims/changes
I'd hazard a guess that renewals will not be competitive - and people need to be careful that they don't fall into the "grey area" of the insurers having refused to issue/renew a certificate of insurance.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Aug 20th, 2010 at 00:48.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:56   #6
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

It's true to say that we have been dealt a blow by this particular insurer with regards to some of these restrictions. However, most of them are the result of the insurer being given bad risks by others. The Chris Knott account actually performs quite well but they are painting us with the same brush when they place these restrictions on everyone they deal with.

We're playing exactly by the rules for the time being and we're negotiating to get some of the flexibility back. Chris Knott is well respected and there are very few issues with the car club business we attract.

As regards the minimum premiums, the whole market is seeing a rate increase, not just Chris Knott so we still expect to be competitive for the majority of members. If you're insured cheaply elsewhere you can be sure that your premium will go up at renewal.

The bottom line is that S60ben is overstating things considerably with his claim that this is the end of the world.

Apologies for not explaining the SP/PC/PL offence codes but as it only affects those who have one, I thought if you had one you'd know what it was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisKnott For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:19   #7
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Is the 20bhp increase limit a set thing across all of your policies?

I ask as I have been previously insured with you on my 740 with a 75-100% bhp increase and would look to get a quote from yourselves next spring when the car comes back onto the road......

Cheers
Ryan
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:25   #8
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
Is the 20bhp increase limit a set thing across all of your policies?

I ask as I have been previously insured with you on my 740 with a 75-100% bhp increase and would look to get a quote from yourselves next spring when the car comes back onto the road......

Cheers
Ryan
The 20bhp increase limit is definitely one of the things we're trying to re-negotiate. It applies to one insurer only but unfortunately it's the only insurer that will allow ANY bhp increase. I suggest you give us a try in the spring - who knows what we'll be able to do by then.

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:43   #9
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
.... unfortunately it's the only insurer that will allow ANY bhp increase.
I hope not otherwise I am in big trouble getting insurance, just like last year. There does seem to be a big push away from insuring modified cars by insurance underwriters recently. I managed to insure my 740 for £500 in 2009 but no-one could get under £1000 in 2010. I've changing the engine and power output this year so hate to think what I am going to find in 2011.

Quote:
I suggest you give us a try in the spring - who knows what we'll be able to do by then.
Will do.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:00   #10
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

Sorry 1stRaven, I should clarify - WE only have access to one company who will allow bhp increases. There may be other insurers who also allow bhp increases over 20bhp but we don't have access to them and therefore all hope is not yet lost for you.

Tags
chris knotts insurance, insurance