Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

weird noise and TC issue

Views : 952

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2011, 22:17   #1
XC90Virgin

Question weird noise and TC issue

Gents, I have my March '05 SE since th eend of Jan this year and am very happy with it. For a few weeks I have noticed a strange noise emanating from (I'm pretty sure) the front n/s corner. It sounds like a bit of a creak and is only noticable to me when coming to a stop and when accelerating away slowly. I had the wheel off at the w/e but nothing seems wrong. I had a neighbour swivel the steering and the only thing there that struck me as a bit odd was the very slight 'lumpy' feel on the ball joint. The drop links all seems tight and nothing is obviously broken or worn. I also noticed that, when driving and taking right hand corners, and in particular one that is on an incline, the TC light flashes a bit mad and the offending corner seems to be the front n/s again. Now, to put this is perspective, I'm taking about a corner that might normally be driven at 40 and I take it at 45 or 50, thus leaning on the front n/s corner a bit. I do know from experience that it is nowhere near the limits of the car and just shouldn't be doing it. Level corners don't seems to provoke the same reaction. Left hand corners all seem fine. I'm wondering i) if it is the front n/s corner at fault, what might be causing the TC light and the ESP to kick in and ii) is it related to the creaky noise first mentioned above.
No other rattles or issues are noticable and the creaky noise may happen at higher speed but I can't hear it if that's the case.
I had a BMW in 2003 that had a wonky ESP system and it was traced to the electronics on the back of the ABS business. The conclusion there was that the software became slightly corrupt and caused the ESP to over-react in certain circumstances. This is a 'similar' feeling. Any help or suggestions to check out appreciated.

I've a 12 month used Volvo warranty so I'm up for testing it out!
XC90Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 22:26   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

It could well be the angle gear splines , you should get your dealer to check that you still have rear wheel drive when the front wheels slip ..
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 22:35   #3
XC90Virgin

Thanks, I'll look into that; it had crossed my mind.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 15:48   #4
XC90Virgin

I had a good rummage about yesterday. Took the N/S wheel off, brake caliper and disk and the ABS sensor. Nothing visibly wrong. I cleaned up the sensor surfaces. Anyway, put it all back together and went for a drive and heck, it seems to be sorted. The ABS sensor isn't a happy camper by all accounts so maybe a build up of something was enough to 'annoy' it. I'll possibly just replace it anyway. The creaky bit has me baffled but I suspect what looks like an active damper low down at the front and bolted to the front crossmember. It also has a vacuum tube connected to it. Either that or one of the other mounts. Less convinced now that the issues are related. In fact I'm pretty sure they're not.

While I had the tools out I jacked up the rear too. The wheels spin with or without the engine running. If I can spin them by hand with the engine ruinning does this not mean no drive to the rear or am I missing something. Not too sure of the viscous business and Haldex setup so advice appreciated.

Last edited by XC90Virgin; Apr 2nd, 2011 at 15:51.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 16:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Those vacuum engine mounts don't make noises .
Yes it's normal for the rear wheels to be free when turned by hand , they only engage drive when the front wheels slip ...

try turning the prop-shaft with the front wheels on the ground , you shouldnt be able to turn it ..
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 18:40   #6
XC90Virgin

Question

Thanks Clan. A subtle but important difference. Looks like I was a bit premature re the ABS/ TC issue. It's still there but less sensitive, i.e. it doesn't cut in as readily. I still suspect an out of tolerance sensor if that's possible or one that is being interfered with by the yaw sensor or similar. It is possible that the strut 'bearing' surface at the top where it meets the arch mount point can creak? If the strut was moving a tiny bit would that be enough for the ABS to pick it up as 'something' and react accordingly?
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 18:52   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Virgin View Post

Thanks Clan. A subtle but important difference. Looks like I was a bit premature re the ABS/ TC issue. It's still there but less sensitive, i.e. it doesn't cut in as readily. I still suspect an out of tolerance sensor if that's possible or one that is being interfered with by the yaw sensor or similar. It is possible that the strut 'bearing' surface at the top where it meets the arch mount point can creak? If the strut was moving a tiny bit would that be enough for the ABS to pick it up as 'something' and react accordingly?
Are you actualy loosing traction when the light flashes , ie is your foot down ? It Could be that there is no rear wheel drive this will make the front wheels much more likely to slip and cause the traction control to come in .

You might want to check the tightness of the front driveshaft bolts in the centre of the hub , Take out the VOLVO emblem and check the 13mm or 14 mm bolt in there , around 50 nm torque ... a loose one would cause a clicking creaking noise and the ABS light to come on and off.

If the top strut mount was broken it would knock rather than creak , anti rioll bar link rods will creak though but have no play .
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 21:40   #8
XC90Virgin

Question

Thanks again. No, no slip that I can detect and no foot down. If, on a similar left turn, I try to force the issue, it only squeals a bit. On these problematic right hand bends, I'm not even close to slippage. If the bend is quite 'smooth' I can force the warning light on by twitching the steering wheel and causing the car to nose down a bit. That's why it only seems to react similarly when on a bend that is also an incline as there tends to be a bit of natuaral nosing down. I haven't ruled out the possibility that there is not drive to the rear: I'll check that asap, hopefully tomorrow, now that you've advised me what to check properly. I'd like to think that there would be tyre squeal before any appreciable slippage and ther's not a sound. Interesting what you say about the links. I think I'll replace them as they're not hard to do or expensive. Had that shaft bolt out yesterday when I was looking at things and it wasn't loose. I'll check the torque but 50Nm isn't that much. Must check the other side too.

Will report back tomorrow hopefully.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 22:03   #9
XC90Virgin

Clan, I just spotted another item abouit someone possibly buying an XC90 and replacement ABS rings seems to feature in various replies, a lot, and not covered under warranty either. Is this a possibility to look at further and is it a realistic DIY replacement?