Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - test drive opinions please......

Views : 1443

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 22:19   #1
BigDad

Default XC90 - test drive opinions please......

Hi guys, new here and first post!

test drove XC90 over the weekend, which was perfect spec for me; D5 manual, tow bar fitted, darkened rear glass, DVD player, MP3 connectivity. Two owners, 60,000miles, for sale under the Volvo approved used scheme, history and MoTs all present.

but, it pulled to the left under heavy braking, and the passenger side has received paint (front wing, doors and rear wing ) - looked like the passenger door had been dented and nearly put right - i say nearly as its still got a slight ripple in it. no other damage visible, wings dont look like theyve been removed or anything. its a good paint match though, and looks to have been done professionally (I have an eye for spotting paint work on cars!). Car dent chap out next week to take a look and see if the ripple can be put right.

So, as the car is now 7 years old, and if the ripple can be put right, given that the history looks right, should I make the purchase do you think? It drove great ( apart form the left pull under braking, which dealer says will be put right before picking up to meet the apporved used standards).

Im aware that these things are a bit difficult to get hold for reasonable money, so all opinions appreciated!!

cheers,

BD.
BigDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 22:29   #2
Maxxypriest

Does it feel right to you?

If the answer is yes the take the plunge (however) there will be more than plenty of other potentials just around the corner

If you can supress you immediate urge to buy an xc90 by a few weeks, youll have done your due diligence and you will be happy with your purchase

Don't jump in as you'll probably wish you waited IMO
Maxxypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 22:42   #3
BigDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxypriest View Post
Does it feel right to you?

If the answer is yes the take the plunge (however) there will be more than plenty of other potentials just around the corner

If you can supress you immediate urge to buy an xc90 by a few weeks, youll have done your due diligence and you will be happy with your purchase

Don't jump in as you'll probably wish you waited IMO
you may be right. i guess im just after the reassurance of the volvo warranty, but I guess the car should be spot on. volvo approved used cars arent the cheapest!
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 22:43   #4
Bandit12

My mate has an 05 plate one of these. He finds ( and complains) that it scrubs the OS tire ever 5k miles. Volvo say it's "a feature" and quite normal. Great car, expensive on rubber, in his opinion.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:51   #5
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
My mate has an 05 plate one of these. He finds ( and complains) that it scrubs the OS tire ever 5k miles. Volvo say it's "a feature" and quite normal. Great car, expensive on rubber, in his opinion.
Absolute rubbish. Tell your mate to ditch the obviously useless dealer and go to a reputable wheel alignment centre and get it set up correctly. They shouldn't pull or scrub tyres. They will be heavier on tyres than a Daewoo Matiz, but then if you want cheap motoring you wouldn't buy an XC90.

I hate that Stealerships con customers because they can't be bothered.

As to your painted one that pulls, I think you already know it doesn't feel right, otherwise you wouldn't be seeking assurance on here. Its always tough when you are buying for yourself (rose tinted glasses). The right one will be along soon enough.

Rob.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:59   #6
sumomeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
you may be right. i guess im just after the reassurance of the volvo warranty, but I guess the car should be spot on. volvo approved used cars arent the cheapest!
Don't hold too much value on the Volvo Approved Warranty.

My '53 T6 has still got the warranty, but I first had a CEM (think that's what it's called) failure on the way home from picking the car up. Warranty didn't cover it, but thankfully Harrats of Wakefield (where I bought the car) did the honourable thing and covered the £1500 cost.

More recently, last couple of weeks, my ABS rings need replacing, again, NOT covered by the Volvo warranty.
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:37   #7
BigDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
As to your painted one that pulls, I think you already know it doesn't feel right, otherwise you wouldn't be seeking assurance on here. Its always tough when you are buying for yourself (rose tinted glasses). The right one will be along soon enough.

Rob.
having slept on, i think your right. I so wanted it to be right, but I will soldier on! thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:41   #8
harvey07
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumomeister View Post
Don't hold too much value on the Volvo Approved Warranty.

More recently, last couple of weeks, my ABS rings need replacing, again, NOT covered by the Volvo warranty.
That first sentence could just read warranty ! They all seem to have extensive get out clauses.

I am facing the same dilemma like you Big Dad, drove a cosmetically nice 2007 D5, but it failed it's MOT bigtime (asked the owners to put a fresh ticket on it) - needs £700+ tp get thro & there is another £500+ of advisory work. It's left me wondering, if I should proceed.

One item was the ABS rings & despite their Autocare Warranty including ABS faults...the rings are not included !

Fingers crossed, we both fixed up with the right XC90 soon !
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 21:59   #9
BigDad

yep, hope so! on to the next viewing!!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:04   #10
stonehenge

There is a 54 plate manual at Duncanhamilton.com for a very reasonable £12445 with a good spec and towbar fitted. Have a look. You can buy with total confidence, I have purchased 3 cars and all have been super. They don't buy rubbish and if they have a car arrive that doesn't come up to their standards they reject it and send it back.

Being a 163 manual, it will be good on MPG.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote