Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What Is The Worst Car You've Ever Owned?

Views : 10784

Replies : 153

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:52   #11
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Worst.... two cars in that place:

1. 89 F-reg 760 Turbo I bought in -96 although once fixed it was a great car (cost over 5K to fix + sued Volvo and won!)

2. 2003 MB E55 AMG - electrics!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2011, 13:09   #12
Biotoxic
Master Member

Vauxhall Corsa year 2000 16V 1.2

1 close call
2 Near fatal accidents

1 no abs.. had to brake hard on M1 from 60-30mph
2.1 had to brake in 40 mph slight curve. no ABS, car skidded sideways on wet country road, I was like this- on road that goes like this|
On the line coming towards me there was one of the big tractors coming with 2 big forks(for carrying hay bail) they were lowered just about 1 meter from ground. So I hited the embankment( there was steep drop on the other side of embankment) ricocheted back on the middle of road going slightly sideways and backwards.. I stopped 3 metres from those forks.... But there were no damage to car what so ever, I hit that embankment with left front tyre so I basically bounced back to road.
2.2 Front left tyre almost exploded on motorway while doing 72 mph......

I changed the tyre and sold a car.. bought S40 bigger/safer car. I have spent the same amount of money fixing it with what I bought that car with ...
so price wise corsa was cheaper than volvo
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2011, 13:21   #13
scr8pdo
Premier Member

MMMmmm tough choice, but for shear rubbish, it had to be my brown Maestro with no brakes!
Old May 26th, 2011, 13:28   #14
scr8pdo
Premier Member

I had a fiesta I picked up from the auction once just to sell on but it was the bane of my life, I bought at night and drove it back, next morning I went to valet it and it smoked like you wouldnt believe, I changed oil, and filter, cleaned all breathers out which helped slightly, took it for MOT and it failed MASSIVELY on emmisions, and still smoked so changed valve stem seals, used loads of piston seal, stop smoke etc to thicken oil up, it was like treacle in the end, I changed the CAT, oxygen sensor, air temp sensor, I changed the single point injection unit, the plugs, the coil pack asd it was mis firing, the HT leads, the ECU! I just wouldnt give up, I spent a fortune on it and it still wasnt right, I cut my losses in the end, managed to just get a MOT on it but I swear that car was a NIGHTMARE!
Old May 26th, 2011, 13:36   #15
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondb View Post
1999 citroen xantia 2.0 hdi.... enough said
ok so paid 900 for it 2 weeks later it died turned out to be fuse box 200 quid later from an electronics diagnostics bloke it was fixed then kept dying on me changed tank pump as was suspect 150 quid ish then main pump went and the car went for scrap.... NEVER AGAIN

I actually like Xantias, I dunno why as i think they look ugly and the HDIs are a nuisance when they play up but I would have a 2.1 Turbo diesel 12 valve one (early engine) tomorrow if one came up, they are sooo comfy and good on juice, fast for a diesel too
Old May 26th, 2011, 13:46   #16
emmdee
Premier Member

Was your Maestro brown because it had no brakes, or was that purely co-incidental?

m.d.
emmdee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emmdee For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2011, 14:06   #17
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Hmmm...

A difficult one as I've had a wide range of cars over the years.

Two do come to mind, though.

A 2nd-hand Allegro estate was one. That was more of a question of my 1st (ex) wife who was fed up with me having a large car (Triumph 2500 injection auto) and insisted that we bought something smaller. Listening to her (not a lot of choice!) we ended up with the Aggro estate. What an abysmal car. Slow, no power and just not nice. Had it one year and the MoT tester pointed out the very advanced tin worm in all the main panels. And I had to pay a scrappy to take it away!

The other was a Vauxhall Corsa Breeze (3-cylinder jobby) that I bought for teaching driving in. For ever going wrong with engine management problems (causing loss of income), very uncomfortable and wouldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding. About the 10th time I took it to my local (useless) Vauxhall dealer with the engine management problem, I had had enough and Went to the local Nissan dealer and traded it in for an Almera - which I loved so much I stayed with them for years and even bought my (3rd) ex-wife one because she loved them as well.

Now I can have a car that want, of course it is a Phase 1 V70... the car I wanted since they first came out... and no nagging wife complaining about it.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 14:48   #18
cornerstone

Definatly the worst car i ever had was a 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfa Sud that i bought in 1981 for £50. so much rust that the floor was held in with pop rivets the exhaust was held together with exhaust bandges and putty. windows had been held in place with fibre glass. heater never worked it would freeze up on the inside, so much gap in the doors that you had to scrape the snow off the seats before you drove it. but it always started first time, and if i remember right i got £500 P/X against a TR7... thing we did when we were young. Lol.
Old May 26th, 2011, 15:01   #19
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default Additional thoughts to my contribution above.

During my 'later' years as a driving instructor - before retiring, I used to do mostly corporate driver training. This usually involved giving a demonstration/commentary drive in the client's car as part of the session.

Being corporate work, a lot of the cars were 'up market' and 'luxury' saloons (unfortunately, never got to do a Roller or a Bentley) - with a fair sprinkling of Beemers, Mercs and Jags.

That job was of real benefit for me. Driving all those posh cars proved to me that the only way to go, when I retired last year, was to follow the 'Prancing Moose'.

So I did - even if it is 12 years old. It still beats a all of those 'executive saloons'.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2011, 15:38   #20
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

worst, 1976 simca 1100 , talk about rust , and I bought it in 1979 , pulled up in a petrol station and the drivers door came off the body !
but the good thing, it introduced me to volvos, the expansion bottle blew up while I was exiting the m6 on my way home, a passing estate ( dont know if it was a 140 or 240 ) took pity on us and offered a tow , the guy was a typical owner of the time constantly puffing away on a pipe he never took out of his mouth, I told him where we lived and I'd flash my lights as we got there , trouble was he must have been engrossed in his music because I couldnt get his attention no matter how much I flashed my lights or sounded my horn, I even stood on the brakes, but I still saw our house go by as my brakes fried , luckily he stoppped at some traffic lights further up the road, said to the wife , " I''ve got to have one of those "
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post: