Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you buy another Volvo?

Views : 167392

Replies : 614

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Volvo?
Definitely yes 580 54.26%
Likely yes 330 30.87%
Probably no 113 10.57%
No way Nellie 46 4.30%
Voters: 1069. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 19th, 2013, 20:08   #141
ianarc

Now on my 2nd Volvo in 8 years and would take some persuading to move to something else. My g/f swapped from a BMW Z4 to a C70 which she loves so much it's the first car she's had for more than 3 years.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 00:19   #142
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I had a 940 estate which I loved more than any car I'd had previous to it. For reasons I wont bore people with I got something more economical. What I saved in fuel I spent on never ending repairs, and I stopped enjoying driving.

Then my Renault Laguna bit the dust. I stuck ads out all over asking specifically for another 940 estate. Found one, bought it, love it.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 22:55   #143
dmcneil77

First Volvo was a rustbucket 144. Fantastic seats and heater though, and it made me smile. Plus, it never broke down. An underrated quality in a car. Red leather seats as well.

Second Volvo was a 164E. As rusty as the 144. It liked a drink, but I forgave it that, as it went went like smelly stuff off a shovel when the go pedal was fully depresssed..embarrassed a few hot hatches in a straight line. And still a superb long distance cruiser.

Currently in the final few months of a three year leased C30...excellent car: reliable, economical, chuckable handling, and a quiet (laminated window option) and comfortable (these Volvo seats again) cruiser. I chose the cranberry leather seats as it remined me of the 144.

XC60 is on the replacement shortlist...waiting to see the facelifted version.
dmcneil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 14:43   #144
gordonr

currently on my 4th volvo 2x 440,s and 2 classic s40,s the last of the four i have only had for a month and loving every minute of driving it , especially in the cold mornings with the heated leather
440 turbo
440 glt
gordonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 17:38   #145
Big feller
Man of many volvos

I have had 144, 265, 340, 440, 480, 2 x 940 and now a V50.

Based on Volvo's customer support - or lack of it - I will not be buying another modern Volvo. I may well buy another 940.

Since Volvo are unable to diagnose or fix problems on the ever more complicated units on newer cars, the bills become prohibitive.

I bought my current 940 for £2000 three years ago. Even if a major component fails, it is probably going to be repairable for less than that. If I buy a V50 for £5000 and get a minor fault on the gearbox, it could cost £4500 to fix.

I just can't afford to take that risk.
Big feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 22:12   #146
SteveF1

I am genuinely impressed with my XC60 apart from my resent problems which are not car related. It's well built, drives well and apart from the very average fuel economy I'd buy again.

My only issue is with the dealerships. The buildings tend to be pokey and unloved, the facilities akin to a local kwik fit and a million miles away from what I experienced at BMW which was often like a 5 star hotel!

If Volvo want to class themselves as a luxury car brand and increase sales to those of Audi, BMW and Mercedes then it has to address this and their cars resale values.
SteveF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 22:31   #147
Yngve72

Smile Love my volvo-mobiles

I am a long time Volvo owner. Purchased my first in Sept. 1972. It was a 245E. My fifth Volvo a 1998 V70. This is longest that I have kept one.
Yngve72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 08:17   #148
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Dealerships.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
I am genuinely impressed with my XC60 apart from my resent problems which are not car related. It's well built, drives well and apart from the very average fuel economy I'd buy again.

My only issue is with the dealerships. The buildings tend to be pokey and unloved, the facilities akin to a local kwik fit and a million miles away from what I experienced at BMW which was often like a 5 star hotel!

If Volvo want to class themselves as a luxury car brand and increase sales to those of Audi, BMW and Mercedes then it has to address this and their cars resale values.

One of the attractions of the Volvo brand was the ability to distance oneself from some of the aspects of BMW and Merc ownership in terms of not wanting to be seen as a brash arriviste, estate agent, banker...whatever.

Nothing wrong with Volvo dealerships not being shiny palaces for those wanting a certain brand reassurance in their upwardly mobile, maybe thatcherite, sharp elbowed, 'out of my way little man' lives.

In my view Volvo held some interest for those wanting a highly respected brand amongst the more thoughtfull and civilised amongst us.

A slightly worn dealership without the investment of the owners' in obvious bling for arrivistes sits well with me if it is clear that there is investment and commitment to good service, advice and the very best of employee relations.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 16:49   #149
SteveF1

A slightly worn dealership without the investment of the owners' in obvious bling for arrivistes sits well with me if it is clear that there is investment and commitment to good service, advice and the very best of employee relations.

For me the dealer experience has been anything but professional and the service very average and that's putting it politely. Volvo UK were poor at dealing with my complaint and they lived up to the widely held opinion around here of being utterly useless. If that's what you want out of car ownership then you must be a gluten for punishment.

BMW by contrast had the 5 star showroom facilities, complimentary services whilst waiting for my car to be serviced and when I did have an issue with my car BMW UK were only too happy to help hiring me an Avis rental car to the spec of my own whilst the problem was rectified. Then to top it off they gave me a full 12 months extended warranty to the value of £600 as an apology.

There is a reason why Volvo is attempting to emulate the likes of Audi and BMW because they are the ones selling luxury cars at staggering rates despite the recent recession while Volvo has for many years stagnated and fell behind the pack. People want more from cars and dealers these days and considering the price Volvo charge for their cars and servicing (on a par with their German rivals) they cannot afford to scrimp anywhere.

It's not about expecting 'bling' at a dealership, its about expecting a quality service from start to finish. If you pay top dollar for something you expect to get what you pay for and at present Volvo are some distance behind the owner experience of a BMW. As stated the car itself is great but the aftercare is lacking.
SteveF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 22:09   #150
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post

For me the dealer experience has been anything but professional and the service very average and that's putting it politely. Volvo UK were poor at dealing with my complaint and they lived up to the widely held opinion around here of being utterly useless. If that's what you want out of car ownership then you must be a gluten for punishment.

BMW by contrast had the 5 star showroom facilities, complimentary services whilst waiting for my car to be serviced and when I did have an issue with my car BMW UK were only too happy to help hiring me an Avis rental car to the spec of my own whilst the problem was rectified. Then to top it off they gave me a full 12 months extended warranty to the value of £600 as an apology.

There is a reason why Volvo is attempting to emulate the likes of Audi and BMW because they are the ones selling luxury cars at staggering rates despite the recent recession while Volvo has for many years stagnated and fell behind the pack. People want more from cars and dealers these days and considering the price Volvo charge for their cars and servicing (on a par with their German rivals) they cannot afford to scrimp anywhere.

It's not about expecting 'bling' at a dealership, its about expecting a quality service from start to finish. If you pay top dollar for something you expect to get what you pay for and at present Volvo are some distance behind the owner experience of a BMW. As stated the car itself is great but the aftercare is lacking.
A friend took his 3 year old 3.5 S Type to his Mercedes dealer to have the rust spots! removed and was given a very basic 3 door Kia courtesy car. He even had to wind down the windows manually!. How dreadful (his words). Half a mile down the road is the Volvo dealer where the service is excellent and they even speak to you if you turn up wearing jeans. That does not happen if you call into the BMW dealer in the next town. A lot of those guys in their big glassy palaces kid themselves on. They are all just working men trying to earn a crust like the rest of us. I bet there are a few of our Forum members here have a few stories to tell about this attitude.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote