Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insuramce question?

Views : 9328

Replies : 134

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:19   #1
r-designbob
Premier Member

Default Insuramce question?

I hope this is the correct forum for this question?

My son has a ford fiesta that has a lapsed insurance. My question is:
Can I drive it to my house on my fully comp ins or does the fiesta have to have it's own insurance?

He wants to park it at my house with a SORN certificate for a while, until he can afford the astronomical prices the ins company's want for a youngster.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:25   #2
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question check with your insurance provider but

it should cover the journey but it may only be third party insurance.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:27   #3
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Third party only covers if the car has valid insurance in another name.

I think the only exception is traders insurance
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:35   #4
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew1911 View Post
Third party only covers if the car has valid insurance in another name.

I think the only exception is traders insurance
I'm afraid dew is right. Why don't you just insure it for a day/week/month so you can move it to your house. Fairly inexpensive to do.

In places like Australia and Spain, you insure the person not the car. Think it would work a lot better that way, in some situations!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaygee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:42   #5
D5driver
No Spam here

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
I hope this is the correct forum for this question?

My son has a ford fiesta that has a lapsed insurance. My question is:
Can I drive it to my house on my fully comp ins or does the fiesta have to have it's own insurance?

He wants to park it at my house with a SORN certificate for a while, until he can afford the astronomical prices the ins company's want for a youngster.
Don't move it

Your fully comp insurance will allow you to drive any other car TP as long as it has a valid policy on it

Beaten to it

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 15:48   #6
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
I'm afraid dew is right. Why don't you just insure it for a day/week/month so you can move it to your house. Fairly inexpensive to do.

In places like Australia and Spain, you insure the person not the car. Think it would work a lot better that way, in some situations!
The whole reason the drive other cars was restricted was people were buying performance cars, but insuring a 1.0 banger and driving the top stuff basically free of charge. As soon as the Insurance companies cottoned onto this, they changed it round.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 16:01   #7
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew1911 View Post
The whole reason the drive other cars was restricted was people were buying performance cars, but insuring a 1.0 banger and driving the top stuff basically free of charge. As soon as the Insurance companies cottoned onto this, they changed it round.
There are of course limitations on what you can drive. I lived in Australia for a while and was able to drive certain cars, if it went beyond a certain class (insurance classes, like we have here), I was in theory not allowed to drive such cars. If I wanted to drive a higher class car than what my insurance would allow, I would then purchase a time period for that car. The bonus of this method of course is insure yourself on a high cat car and you can drive anything you like!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 16:11   #8
dew1911
I've Been Banned

When I had my LR with the NFU I had other cars (the only policy to date that has had), the only restriction was "Vehicles under 5.0", so that Corvette had to wait.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 16:23   #9
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Your actually committing an offence right now if the car is taxed but uninsured... Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) only allows for cars to be SORN or taxed AND insured. not one of either.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 16:33   #10
dew1911
I've Been Banned

I guess the option we're all pointing towards is, if it's not too far to move it. Do it at night, quickly.